“Huge hotel with little personality”

Gamma Campeche Malecon
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Campeche
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is a huge hotel and is a pretty boring place to stay in. It has very little charm and offers no personal experience. This said, the rooms are large, beds are good and they have a large balcony with great view of the ocean and the pool. The pool is large and the whole hotel is clean. It is a few minutes walk to the old town and there is free parking.

The buffet breakfast is rather expensive and not that good. The hotel claims to have a gym in its description (there is even a picture!) but there is no gym.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Buskachi
There are newer reviews for Gamma Campeche Malecon

Reviewed April 21, 2012

This hotel had a foul smell to it, the rooms are ok. The staff is very helpful and very good wifi. The city is beauiful and very coloinal. I would not recommend staying for more then a few days.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dougzihua
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Campeche is a beautiful city. However there is not a whole lot to do. It is not full of life like most other central Mexico cities I love.
This hotel is very large and on the water with some water views. Location is close to the historic city. The positives end there. It is ok for a place to sleep but very uninspiring. The front desk was uniquely unhelpful. There is an old hotel smell inside.
I feel there would be much better options inside the historic district.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank aturkinnola
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel, and it was OK, but I plan to go back to Campeche repeatedly (as I work on developing visitcampeche.com) in the future and hoping to find a much better hotel (besides the pricy Hotel Puerta)

Chose this hotel for 1 reason - my princess tendency is I can't sleep with loud A/C units. After checking hotel pictures and finding no hotels with mini splits (which are usually quieter than the large window units), I chose the Del Mar because it had central A/C. Big mistake! It was like there was an ancient truck in the room with me! Luckily, Campeche is on the gulf and there was a breeze - so I just opened the screenless sliding door.

And, my room reeked of cigarette. Which, I understand because no one ever pays attention to "No Smoking" signs - but I could smell cigarette wafting from under the adjoining door to the next room. I wonder if they could possibly have a non-smoking room adjoining a smoking room? That would be stupid.

The other strange thing. When I checked in, there was a lot of hesistation at the front desk - which lead me to believe my reservation was not in the system. I was asked to show my confirmation, as if there was no reservation. It took a good 10 minutes of clicking and tapping before I was told I had to check in on the 3rd floor for executives. When I got to the 3rd floor, another group was being checked in - causing another wait. If I'm supposedly an executive, why not treat me like one and check me in immediately, instead of causing concern that my reservation was lost, and making me wait 15 minutes? Sometimes this attempt to make a guest feel important is just pretentious and silly.

The location is good, but would be better if construction on the sea gate wasnt being done; you have to walk all the way around to get toward the main square and centro historico. Obviously, the hotel has no control over this. And, proximity to the gulf does insure the breeze.

Otherwise, it was fine.

Room Tip: ask for an sea view - in a non-smoking room adjoing a non-smoking room unless you smoke.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank evening
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night (November 23, 2011) as a stop with a tour group. The hotel overlooked the Gulf of Mexico. If you were brave enough to cross the very busy road, there was a beautiful long boardwalk that travelled along the Gulf. Lots of joggers and walkers. The hotel was comfortable but could use some updating. Meals in the restaurants were good. This was a good location for nearby sightseeing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calgary-visitor
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Nice hotel. As you can see it's part of the Best Western Hotels. They gave me a suite of rooms -- bedroom and living room with two TVs. I only spent one night here so can't really say much. The view of the Gulf of Mexico was nice. We ate in the dining room. The food was okay but breakfast was the best.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Reeennneee
Reviewed November 22, 2011

The rooms are clean and beds are OK, needs remodeling, looks little outdated, can’t complain: no weird smells, clean sheets and towels. The view to the ocean from most of the rooms is a plus in the mornings. Satellite TV.
Located on a main avenue might turn it a little noisy but nothing that will keep you away from sleeping.
Walking distance to the city center where you might find many attractions also if you are traveling to the Mayan ruins and need a place to shower after a long day, this is the place, and the pool is a nice option for spending the rest of the afternoon.
Dinner at Laffite’s restaurant made our stay memorable, my wife asked for something really local that wasn’t on the menu, five minutes later the waiter came back from the kitchen with the news that the chef agreed to make that dish only for us, what else can you ask for service? By the way the rest of the food we ordered was really good.
Definitely not a bad place to stay but need to get a little more attention on the details, bathroom doors difficulty to close or dripping faucets, front desk a little slow. The staff is kind but really slow responsive, once you get to tell them that you need help not a problem but no initiative to help you even they are watching you struggling to get your bags out of the truck alone my toddler on my other arm.
Really average for a Best Western standard, nothing fancy just the thing that you need for lodging away from home.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends