“The Right Place For A Dream Holiday”

Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kendwa
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have been in Gold Zanzibar for 10 days in August 2013. I have travelled quite a lot around the world (either for business or leisure) and I must admit that this hotel ranks among the best I have ever tried.
Location is amazing, straight on the sea with romantic ocean views (stongly suggested the ocean views rooms).
Service is impeccable with a touch of nice courtesy from every member of the staff.
Excursions are very well organized and let you discover the little secrets of Zanzibar...the real plus on top of the total-relaxation offered by the hotel.
Thinking of returning there for the honey-moon.

Frank

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Franco I
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Franco I,
Thank you very much for having taken time to share your views following your stay at Gold.
We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you are thinking of coming back here for your Honey Moon. We,at Gold, will be so delighted to welcome you again and make sure that your next stay be even more wonderful and memorable .Kind Regards
Ramdeo.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I went to Gold Zanzibar just a few months after its opening and had a great experience.First of all, the location: Kendwa is the best beach on Zanzibar, the tide is much less strong than on the other sides of the island, there is white perfect sand and from there it's possible to enjoy the wonderful sunsets on the ocean with the characteristic fishers' boats passing by.
Gold is right on the beach, we spent our days enjoying the beach and the huge swimming pool.
The resort is beautiful, we stayed in the deluxe ocean view room and we loved it: it's new, elegantly furnished, quite large and the decorations are well refined. Of course, getting a room with ocean view in that setting can make the difference, but the whole resort has very high quality standards.
The staff is very professional and helpful, we appreciated especially the spa and the restaurant. Talking about food, the owners are Italian, and they make sure you have a good experience also during your meals (there is international and local food, fresh fish etc).

Overall we loved staying there and we would definitely go back there. we had a special and relaxing week after our 4-day safari in inland Tanzania and staying at Gold was the perfect end of our trip. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Stefania C,
Thank you for having chosen to spend your holiday at Gold. It has been a pleasure hosting you. We are so pleased that your stay was enjoyable, that you like our spacious comfortable rooms and the great beach of white sand and the other facilities we offer. .We look forward to seeing you again at Gold. Thank you again.Kind Regards from us all.Ramdeo.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gold for our honeymoon, and had a fantastic time. The hotel had less than a year before, so everything was brand new. The rooms are very spacious, with large bath tubs, huge, incredibly comfortable beds. There is a massive pool and a well spaced out sun loungers on a stunning beach.
The great thing about Kendwa beach is that there is always water (in contrast to some of the East Coast beaches) and you get stunning sunsets. There are also a bunch of nice bars and restaurants along the beach if you dont want to stay the whole time in the hotel.
The rooms are in modern bungalows that do not have a particular Zanzibarian feel, but we liked that because it is not pretending to be something it is not.
They also have a nice spa where we had some great massages.
The staff was incredibly friendly and very professional.
The one criticism I would have is that drinks are quite expensive in comparison to the other places around (we ended up going for sunset drinks to the bar at the Kendwa Rocks, which is a really fun bar!) and that the dining area lacks a bit of personality (it is quite big, and too brightly lit). However, the hotel compensates for that by doing dinner around the pool and on the beach on some nights which was great!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,
We have been very pleased to host you at Gold and thank you for having chosen to be among us. Your comments bring encouragement and motivation to all of us and we will keep on searching for the satisfaction and well being of our guests. Thank you again and we will be more that delighted to welcome you for another Gold Experience. Kind Regards. Ramdeo

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

The resort was really beautiful. The front desk person (Ayesha) remembered my name 2 days later. The public spaces were immaculate and beautiful. There were not many people there, I guess because they had only opened 6 months ago. The rooms were very spacious and clean. Nice bedding. The pool was gorgeous and the little huts on the beach were perfect. The security guard kept hawkers at bay, which I really appreciated. The food was good, not a buffet for dinner, which I appreciated . Some food was very good, but in Tanzania, I did not have any outstanding food, which is just the way it is! I'd recommend this resort to anyone

• Stayed: August 2013
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear nancy 072260,
Thank you for expressing your views following your stay at Gold Zanzibar.It was a pleasure hosting you and we are pleased that you have had a pleasant stay here, enjoying the spacious room, the gorgeous pool of this beautiful resort.We hope to welcome you again for another Gold Experience. Regards from all of us at Gold. Ramdeo

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Most things are said about Gold, so I will just point out earlier reviews about the food.
By travelling around the world for many years, and by visiting 116 countries I have had the possibility to compare food, and I cant believe the reviews which are so negative about their dinner. The second newest review on this page is for me shocking, have we been at the same place??

The dinner at Gold is excellent! I repeat: Excellent! Certainly in July 2013! Especially for visitors also interesting in the local food. The fish (always catch of the day) is wonderful and prepared very well!

About the breakfast: I agree with many, it is like a 3 star hotel and certainly needs some improvement! The weakest spot at the resort.

Keep on smiling - staff at Gold :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear geiaan,
Thank you for having stayed at Gold. We would be most pleased to welcome you again for another Gold Experience.We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we value your comments concerning Breakfast. We are pleased that you found our Dinners just great. In fact, now we also serve dinner Twice weekly on the Beach and once weekly Gold Night round the pool. We wish to inform you that a new experienced Mauritian International Executive Chef, Raj, has joined our team.
Thank you again. Best regards from Sunny Zanibar. Ram.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed two weeks in this hotel (from 1-14th of August) so, we had plenty of time to see, and experience everything Gold Hotel has to offer :)
First, a few things about location: the best on the north-west side- no kidding! Only 4 resorts have a real beach (doesn't matter if it's low or high tide) and these are: nr.1 by far Gold - with an excellent beach and beach facilities, and equally (but with other level of comfort) Kendwa Rocks (on the right) and Eden (on the left) and far left Sunset. All other resorts from Kendwa to Nungwi DO NOT HAVE A BEACH when is high tide!
Regarding Gold, I must say that everything is excellent in terms of design, furniture, cleaning, rooms, facilities, pool, beach and of course PEOPLE!!! Great people!!! All of them! I think this is the competitive advantage Gold have comparing with many other places, especially in Zanzibar where everything is "pole pole" (slow slow).
Regarding food, I have to agree many other clients, and restate that:
Breakfast is rather poor! Every morning the same food (for me was a little bit annoying, eating the same omelets so many days). It is a omelet's bar, and one sort of cheese (however uneatable by my side) two types of very low quality salami, and fried bacon and sausages. They also have some cereals and muesli, but low quality anyway. The good point is in fruit bar which is excellent, with exotic tastefully fruits and of course natural juices (passion fruit, mango, etc). Definitely breakfast needs much, much improvements!!!
For the evening I do not resonate with other guest, and I have to say that the food was excellent (local or Italian) with a better option when was buffet not a la carte.
Overall it was an excellent experience - I have to point that we were a family with a 3 y.o girl - and all of us have received special attention from hotel staff, managers, bartenders, etc etc. Unforgettable holiday! Without doubt, if I will be back, I will stay for sure here.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are not actually sea view. It is a very big distance between rooms and sea, so you wi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Ramdeo B, Directeur général at Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guests,
We have been extremely pleased to host you at Gold. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you spent an amazing time here . We have taken good note of your recommendations which will help us bring more improvement to our product.
Thank you and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting you and your family again.
Kind regards from us all. Ramdeo

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My friend and I just came back from 4 nights at Gold Zanzibar. The hotel is quite stylishly designed with lovely rooms (we had a garden view room) and nice beachfront location in the middle of Kendwa with very good pool also. The hotel is also reasonably priced compared to many others marketing themselves as having a similar standard in Zanzibar. There's a few drawbacks about this hotel, however.

1. There have been a few bad reviews about the food at Gold but we arrived with an open mind. However, the bad reviews are true when it comes to dinner (breakfast is fine) - for example, a prawn cocktail one night was virtually inedible, fish was so overcooked it was like rubber and the dessert tasted like it was out of a can. On the other hand, one can get very nice and fresh seafood at Essence restaurant 50m down the beach and even relatively good basic food at Kendwa Rocks next door (targeted at backpackers). Much of the food at Gold tastes like it comes out of a package (eg chocolate brownies taste like they were made from cake mix) so this might be part of the problem.

2. The music playing in the evening is underwhelming (at least in August when we were there - I believe it is different at other times of the year). Each night they had the same person singing pop songs, sitting at a computer and singing with computerized music backing. The way this was put together made it sound like karaoke and it would be nicer to have a CD playing.

3. The driver that picked us up at the airport (which we booked through the hotel) was extremely unprofessional. He had to go to the toilet and smoke in the middle of the drive and drove very erratically, making us feel unsafe. The hotel manager was very apologetic about this and fortunately we had a different driver to take us back to the airport at the end of our stay. However, this is something to keep in mind when booking an airport transfer through the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Millsmorgan

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having stayed at Gold. I have read with much attention your comments .I am am pleased that you like the style of the hotel situated on the best beach of the Island and its lovely 70 m2 Deluxe rooms. We value your constructive comments which enable us to continuously improve our product. We certainly regret the unprofessional attitude of the driver and appropriate measures are taken to ensure that future guests do not get the same experience. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future for a perfect stay. Regards from us all. Ramdeo.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendwa
Melia Zanzibar
#2 of 3 in Mahonda
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#5 of 172 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Gold Zanzibar Beach House & Spa? Share your experiences!