“Charming guesthouse overlooking Sea of Galilee”

Sea of Galilee Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Almagor B&B and Inns
Jerusalem, Israel
“Charming guesthouse overlooking Sea of Galilee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

This guest house is lovingly decorated and maintained by its owners. It has a beautiful garden area overlooking the Sea of Galilee. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone travelling in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stoneham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

My mother and I traveled around Israel and stayed at the Sea of Galilee Guest House for one night. It was recommended by a friend of ours and it was lovely. We arrived in the evening and enjoyed the gardens and the courtyard and especially the delicious mangoes in our room. The room was small but clean and comfortable and the shower had great pressure. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and filling. We also received great advice about our terrible rental car and its flat tire from the proprietor's son.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lucy S
beautiful NC mountains
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This Guest House exceeded all my expectations. I plan to base any future trip to Israel on its availability.

We, a group of 3 very experienced world travelers, expected rustic guest-house accommodations. What we found was absolutely delightful, lovely--comparable to our best Swiss chalet experiences--spacious, quiet, artistic, top quality furnishings, artistic and thoughtful design and decor. You must have a car or bike! This Guest House (we were not in the dorm) is an excellent base for all of the Galilee, and the North and North East limits of Israel. Central Israel as well. We stayed 3 nights, and wished we were there for a minimum of 5-7. Why? superb location at northern end of Sea of Galilee--and you really can "take in" the whole of the northern part of the lake, from shore to shore, standing on this property. Restful location--a peaceful country-side gated community.

It was with a welcomed sign of relief when we came "home," "far from the maddening crowd!" each day. This, too, is a place one can come to simply to read and rest, and enjoy the garden.

Yael, the splendid, magnificent person who "made" this area of Almagor "happen," and lovingly created the Sea of Galilee Guest House, probably planting every tree and flower here, was the most amazing Israeli woman we met on our trip.
She is private--saying nothing of her accomplishments--though seeing and reading the photographs in the breakfast room attests to all she has done, simply, a woman of great accomplishment and love for Israel. A person of great character. I felt like she did not "need" to be running this Guest House, but does it as an act of love and service for those who want to visit Israel, and this part of Israel.

We experienced no other accommodations on our trip in such beautiful, spacious, sheltered land.
Refreshing!
I'm adding a photo of the parking area...and that is the Sea that you see....
also, the courtyard area.

The breakfast was the most sumptuous we had in Israel--beautifully, tastefully prepared, and ample in proportion! We could never eat it all! Wonderful variety of breads. The fresh fruits and vegetables...oh I can taste them now.
Unlike all other places we stayed in Israel, when we went into the breakfast room--having made a time with Yael--food was already at our places. And then, more was brought!

We "happened" to be there with an American family of adults (4) and their Israeli guide. The American man--of significant accomplishment--knew a number of Israelis, and is well-traveled there. He, like we, had carefully chosen to come to Sea of Galilee Guest House. He wisely was there 6 or 7 nights! His Israeli guide filled us in a bit on Yael.

The 3 in our group, did Israel on our own. It wasn't easy, but we didn't want the bus tour group "experience." We had done our "homework," and were prepared.

If you aren't up to doing Israel on your own, I would highly recommend your hiring an Israeli guide to drive you. Some sights are very difficult to find! Often Hebrew, the only language. And sometimes no road signs. Israel is a county full of professional guides.

Their is a wonderful, resident dog at Sea of Galilee Guest House, and a number of great and friendly cats.
Sometimes we heard the dog barking at night, but were never bothered. The other Americans there would invite him into their apartments!

I would pay more to have an "end room" overlooking the big garden area.

We cannot recommend this great treasure highly enough.

(yes, I read every review I could find on this Guest House. My comments about any who complained--Yael saw through their weak character!)

We did not meet her daughter Roni, English-speaking, and web site manager, but know great things about her.)

Room Tip: You can correspond on the web site with Roni about specific rooms. As I wrote, I would pay more for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sprattmitchell
Netanya, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've been there a year ago with my big families and it reminds so nice -- that's why I decided to stay there again over this Passover holidays. It was still okay, at first. When check-in, hostess asked us when we wanna have breakfast and we said "8:30", and then she confirmed in Hebrew.
After tight sleeping, we went to the kitchen at appointed time and I said good-morning to her, then she said "Wait!", no good-morning, then come to me and said "You eat outside!", what? why? I asked why, and she said(now it became shouting) "No place, you should come after nine!", wait, I made a reservation at 8:30 and I remember she confirmed it -- even though it was in Hebrew.
I complained that we have reserved seats now and she held and turned her head, and sighed, and shouted "Sit!", pointing out a small table beside of door -- without any "Please" or "Sorry" in any language -- I felt very embarrassed. My wife was almost crying. While we were hesitating to stay or not, she kept shouting "SIt! Sit! Sit!", all the people there looked us and asked her why, then she shouted "Lo mevina!" (means "I don't understand" in Hebrew) with two arms raised to everyone there.
Well, we just packed luggage and left, although we have a reservation for another night stay. There's another story when I asked her to check out, but I'd rather not to say, it reminds me badly and hurts. I'm not telling you she's wrong because of her mistake, but I want you to know that she did misbehave, aggressively, rudely, and impolitely to the guest.
No recommendation for this place, although I also had had good memories. There are plenty of guesthouses and zimmers around Galilee lake. You'd better to choose one of others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soorhee
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent a wonderful night in the Sea of Galilee guest house. The place is perfect for families and for lonely backpackers too. Yael and her daughter Roni are the best hosts, taking care of us during our stay, feeding us in the morning with great large breakfast.
It's really nice place to spend few nights exploring the area, especially in winter and spring when it's not that hot, and hiking trails are beautiful (we went to see the snow in the Golan Heights but you can actually just go down the stream to the Kineret (Sea of Galilee) by foot..
Great Great place, we will defently go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank efratlaor
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

A clean, simple and charming guest house - with an amazing view. Plenty of room for all 5 to sleep comfortably - and lots of outdoor space for the kids to spread out and stretch their legs. A welcome basket of fruit and fresh herbs awaiting us in the fridge. Coffee and tea on hand, too.

Hands-down this was some of the BEST FOOD we had in Israel - homemade cheeses and jams abounded! The owner, Yael, and her daughter Roni were incredible hosts. Yael loved engaging our (3 gingy) kids in our halting Hebrew and shared stories of her past in the IDF. Roni knows the area well and made great suggestions!

A great home-base for exploring the North. We had a car and traveled all over in the 3 days we were there - from nearby Rosh Pina and Safed to Rosh HaNikrah on the Mediterranean and Kiryat Shmona and Kfar Blum (rafting the Jordan) farther north.

Very haimish (cozey and homey) - it made us feel welcomed and at home, which we loved (as compared to something more formal like a B&B). We will be back!

Room Tip: Master bedroom in our two-bedroom guesthouse overlooked the common lawn and faced the Sea of Galilee...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MABEL_Travel
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

These rooms are spartan but clean. We cancelled our stay because the moshav was having a septic problem and the smell was everywhere. However, these accommodations are too rustic for us. The owner was gracious, regretful of the problem, and did not hold us to our reservation.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ariesmom4

Been to Sea of Galilee Guest House? Share your experiences!