“Beautiful view with great vibe”
Review of Gigante Bay

Gigante Bay
Charlottetown, Canada
“Beautiful view with great vibe”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Can beat the location of this place. The only hotel right on the beach in this town...not that any of them are far. Stayed three night in a private room with private bath. Room was clean and bed was comfy, room was hot during the day but cooled off in the evening thanks to the breeze off the water. Only real complaint about room was it was right beside all the shared washroom so you got to listen to ppl do their business and the housekeeper did laundry right outside our window at 7am. We were in room #4. I brought ear plugs and other then the laundry slept well. As for the restaurant everything we ate was good but we did find the food expensive so ate most meals elsewhere. Drinks somewhat pricey as well but they had drink specials everyday that were priced better.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bailey F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

It's a bit of a walk to some of the best surf spots in the area but the walk is so beautiful and the waves are epic once you get there, the walk is really worth it! The hostel is really nice, simple but good. There are loads of things to do in the area and all of it can be arranged and/or advised through the hostel staff. Friendly and nice people! And free coffee in the mornings!

Negaitves
- no kitchen for guests and limited food menu at the bar.
- there was a few things on our tab we didn't order from the bar and a few things we did order were missing. Kinda evens out eh? But it was sorted out quickly and easily and the staff were very trusting of our opinions.

Overall it was amazing and definitely 5 stars! Location is unbeatable.

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We were at the bar and asked about the tours and ended up doing an amazing rappel down Giant's foot. Jon was very accommodating and showed us an awesome time! He made us feel comfortable, safe and was very hospitable.

Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed January 31, 2014

It took me awhile to post my review, but let me tell you this was hands down the best trip I have been on. I have surfed a lot of places and have traveled to different locations, but Camino Del Gigante more than stands out!

The staff were great and always checked in to see how things were going. The owner is a stand up guy with all good intentions. He really cared about all the travelers and there experiences and made sure a buddy and I were happy. Good people all around. Every person I met was more than friendly and far exceeded my expectations for a trip to Central America.

The bar and restaurant have a great vibe with great music cycling all day long and beautiful sunsets. The sunsets are better than what you see in 'paradise magazines.' You name it this place has it- boating, fishing, kayaking, surfing, spearing, climbing, hiking, snorkeling, etc. The list goes on...

I surfed perfect head high waves, caught dorado offshore, kayaked around a beautiful cliff, met great friends, and shared many liters. AND that was just one day. Imagine spending a week here! I was supposed to travel other places, but fell in love with this little secret of paradise.

Stoked on Camino Del Gigante!

1 Thank Ben O
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My sister, mum and I found this hostel in our lonely planet book and thought we would give it a try. Headed there originally to surf but the waves ended up being too small during the time we were there. Luckily this place is so awesome that it wasn't much of a worry. It is super chill and everyone is really friendly. We were able to do a rock repelling trip offered by camino which we all had a blast doing and would definitely recommended it. It was a sad goodbye for this place and I would love to head back one day!! The trek to get here is well worth it and you won't regret going.

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Good times spent in the lounge/bar/patio at Gigante Bay. Such a pleasant place to wake up, hop in the peaceful sandy ocean, rinse off, pour yourself a hot cup of coffee, and sit in the rocking chairs reading until you feel like jumping in again. The beach itself has the most enjoyable little waveswells that oscillate between rowdy body surf to floating on your back rocking. Cheapish beer and a fun staff make for long nights and new friends. Cant get the sunset over the bay out of my mind. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelly T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my second trip to Camino Del Gigante. From my first trip I remembered blissful paradise without a single negative thought. My second visit surpassed the first. The owner John was as gracious and welcoming as any family member I've ever had and the atmosphere radiated good vibes and friendly conversation. When I bought a liter of beer it was shared with new friends who would buy the next. I enjoyed a world-class sunset every evening at one of the most beautiful untainted beaches I've ever seen. I'm writing this review so others can enjoy the experience, but secretly hope it remains a secret for my own selfish love that I don't want it to change.

The rooms were simple and clean, the price was lower than anywhere else, and there were plenty of activities run out of Camino that kept my buddy and I more than occupied. We caught a huge mahi, kayaked, surfed, and were too chicken to rappel (but I do recommend it from the pictures). We were supposed to stay a few days and bail but ended up spending our entire vacation there with no regrets. It's a black hole of everything you want in a trip in one place.

This is my experience, if anyone wants any other tips on getting there or has any questions, I'd be glad to help you out: colganallen@gmail.com (Surfer, tourist, freedom fighter, friend to all animals)

Room Tip: Just talk to the friendly folks at the bar and they'll set you right up. Also ask about single f...