“A Gem of a Country House” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Barn Country Guest House

Great Barn Country Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bonvilston
Great Barn Country Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Bonvilston B&B and Inns
Florida
“A Gem of a Country House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2007

My wife, two children (ages four and seven) and I spent three wonderful days at the Great Barn. We stayed in the family room on the first floor of the Inn. The room was generously large, with a very nice bathroom and an excellent shower. The breakfasts were delicious and the service was beyond conventional expectations. Mrs. Parker and her husband were unfailingly accommodating and helpful.

The Great Barn is a nice change from the hustle and bustle of Cardiff and Barry, offering a very pleasant and quiet change from more urban bed and breakfast establishments. We will definitely recommend the Great Barn to our family and friends traveling in the Cardiff area.

• Liked — Excellent staff, great value
  • Disliked — Not applicable
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Sakic1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

We stayed at this B&B in late April while attending the wedding of a friend in Cardiff. The Great Barn is a lovely old building, nicely converted, and is located in the countryside near the village of Bonvilston, not far from Cardiff. The directions on the website were spot on and the place was easy to find, despite being quite rural. Our first impressions were very favourable, the place looks lovely and the surrounding countryside is very pretty. This is definitely a place for those who love tranquillity rather than bright lights, so the location suited us perfectly. There was some confusion over our booking, even though I had emailed to confirm our arrival time several days beforehand, and we were not expected till the following day. Fortunately a room was free or we would have been quite stuck to find somewhere nice late at night. The room was fine, quite nice, though rather small, and the ensuite bathroom is definitely not for the largely built, though very clean. The room had a small tv and also some reading matter. The bed was comfortable but rather smaller than we are used to - maybe a small queen size bed. This seemed standard in Wales. The landlady was pleasant and recommended an excellent dinner venue nearby - the Bush Inn, in nearby St Hilary, a lovely and quaint medieval village, off the beaten track though only a couple of miles from the Great Barn. The food and service there were both excellent and the place had a great atmosphere, and we would have loved to have returned again, had opportunity permitted. Downsides: we didn't have a great night's sleep at the Great Barn as the room was fully bright from about 6.30am: heavier curtains would be helpful, though I managed to block out some of the light by hanging my coat over the window. From a sound point of view, the place was lovely and peaceful at night, but the movements and voices of other guests were very audible in the morning - probably fairly usual in B&Bs. The shower cubicle is a tight fit if you want to wash your hair... There also appeared to be some problem with the water, which, after a long wait, reached lukewarm temperature only. I would have mentioned this next day but the only questions asked related to breakfast (which was fine, if unexciting - the standard cooked breakfast). All in all, I wouldn't be rushing back to this B&B, which I found rather expensive for what you got - we paid £60 for our double room. Still, it is in a lovely area and a nice old building, and perhaps most of my gripes (apart from the lack of hot water!) are a bit pernickety....! We found Plas LLanmihangel, near Cowbridge, where we stayed for the next two nights, to be absolutely wonderful, and I would recommend that B&B to anyone staying in this area (I'll write a full review when I have time!)

• Stayed April 2006
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Galwaychick
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

This was, by far, the nicest B&B I've ever stayed in. The scenery was gorgeous plus the hostess was very sweet and helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling in or around Cardiff, Wales. Wonderful breakfasts and service. I hope to return!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonvilston
Premier Inn Cardiff West Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,392 reviews
Old Post House
Old Post House
#11 of 45 in Cardiff

Been to Great Barn Country Guest House? Share your experiences!