“Restore your sense of wonder”
Review of Zen Resort Bali

Zen Resort Bali
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seririt
London, United Kingdom
“Restore your sense of wonder”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Zen Resort Bali is a truly wonderful place. If you are tired... stressed? Maybe just not your normal self and in need of some TLC? This definitley the place to go to find your strength and balance. You will feel like you're in Paradise. As soon as I arrived, the staff were so welcoming, everything was taken care of and nothing was too much trouble.

The environment is striking, you are surrounded by lush green plants, palm trees, exotic flowers and in the distance you can see the calm blue ocean. It really grounds you and once you're doing yoga and meditation on a daily basis you begin to appreciate the simple things again. The attention to detail is really refreshing, nothing is ever out of place or missing, the staff take pride in ensuring everything is pristine.

It was a long journey from the UK but the first treatment I received more than made up for it! From that moment on, I knew I'd made the right choice! I've been to Ayurvedic retreats before in Kerala, however Zen was different, there is nothing clinical or harsh about this place, its all soft edges and non judgemental. When I sank into a beautiful flower bath looking over the rice fields of Bali I thought I was a princess and that feeling didn't leave during my stay.

Very briefly, I've noted the things that mattered to me most in this holiday which may also be important to you:

- exceptional welcoming and helpful staff. Miss Budiani in particular was extremely kind and generous in her attentions.
- great infinity pool with a view of the ocean
- beautifully well maintained gardens, brimming with nature, butterflies, birds, ghekos, frogs.
- simply but exquisitly furnished rooms, bottled water is provided, fruit, aircon of course (no TVs)
- you must do one of the packages, the treatments are out of this world and better than any I had received in keralan Ayurvedic spas.
- the food was simply delicious, there's a variety on offer covering different cuisines, there's always the option to be healthy if you wish. I never tired of the fresh juices, young coconuts, the wonderful fruits.
- well organised excursions if you can bear to leave the resort, the rice fields trek was great as well as the holy springs.
- yoga, diving and meditation classes everyday (optional). Great for beginners too, but if you wanted more challenging, the teacher would happily step up the pace.

Zen Bali resort is NOT the place to go if you're looking for a fast paced, loud, entertainment filled holiday. It's a peaceful place, you can reflect, enjoy the company of like minded people, treat yourself to delicious Ayurvedic treatments, enjoy the quietness with just the reassuring buzz of nature, birds singlng and the ocean breeze.

I cannot wait to return!

1 Thank Stargazer303

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I spent 2 weeks at the hotel. I arrived at the hotel exhausted and left two weeks later like a new person. I loved getting up early to participate in the daily yoga sessions. I even learned to do the headstand on my own over the two weeks period as the staff are very supportive and dedicated. Throughout the day I received special Ayruveda treatments to help me relax, detox and rejuveniate. Obviously we also indulged in the yummie Balinese food served at the resort. We ended the day with a daily meditation class. I met some beautiful people throughout my stay and made some new friendships. The hotel manager took good care of us. We could bring up ideas such as doing a Balinese fire ceremony, trying out a Balinese cooking class, seeing a palm reader or just going out for a girls night in the town near-by. She took those ideads and had them organised in no time - That's what I call Swiss efficiency!!! Overall it was an amazing experience that I will always treasure. I have found a new place that I can call home.

Room Tip: I had a sunset bungalow. I enjoyed it as I like watching sunsets. If you are a light sleeper like my...
Munich, Germany
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I’ve been requested to write a review on the Zen Resort Bali. Well then, here it goes:

You are looking for silence and are bothered by noices from your neighbours => don’t come here
You are seeking high life with loud music and lots of drink (alcohol) => find some place else
You think all tropical beaches are pristine, white or yellow => think again
Zen is just around the corner from the airport ? no way, it’s a four hour, tedious drive with only few toilet stops
Luxury is leather seats, marble floors, cigar perfume = try Marrakesh
Holiday is when you don’t hear the Muezzin = you might try Europe
...
WHAT !?! you are still reading and not bothered by any of the mentioned drawbacks ???

Well then, when you drive through the gates of Zen Resort Bali be prepared to arrive in PARADISE. This is the most special place I have ever been to. It starts with a lovely, beautifully landscaped garden with views of the sea. It continues with only very few, simple, but completedly adequate rooms. They are spacious – well I travel by myself, I guess that helps – and are nicely decorated, but you’ll be outside most of the time anyway. The food admittedly is not ayurvedic. It is however very tasty and the staff will try to fulfill your every wish. Okay, you won’t get Eisbein with Sauerkraut, but you really have to visit Germany for that. Then meet the ayurvedic doctor, Mr. Suresh, and his staff of therapists. My, there are no words to describe the kindness and caring that takes place here. Mr. Suresh – from what I can tell – is an exceptionally good doctor. His strengths – I think – are skewd to the orthopedic side of things, but that could be because I don’t have any internal diseases. His therapists are also exceptionally well trained, so that you can give yourself over into their hands. However, Zen does lack the ayurvedic pharmasist that we have all come to expect at ayurvedic resorts. But then again, “no throwing up” in the morning does have it’s advantages you know. Yoga classes are basic, but excellent. Mr. Suresh and his two ladies will accomodate all kinds of levels. And if it’s not enough for you address your concerns and they will try to accomodate you. Miss Budiani and the staff at the reception will do whatever is necessary to assure that you have a pleasant stay and enjoy your outings – wherever you want to go or want to do. And now you will ask, what is so exceptional ? Well I can tell you: never in my life have I felt so pampered, so well taken care of by the resort staff. All and everybody are exceptionally kind and helpful and will strive to make your stay a special one. Now, how many places do you know that deserve this kind of accolade ???

2 Thank EinMadel
Cayenne, French Guiana
Reviewed March 24, 2014

It was my first time visiting Bali. I must say that the staff was wonderful and skilled. The therapists and ayurvedic doctor did help releasing my stress and very stiff back and hips.
That place looks like heaven with all the birds and butterflyes coming over the garden. It was like harmony between nature and balinese spirit.
The view from the resort to the see is amazing and so peaceful.
I am glad I had the chance to go there.

Room Tip: Best to chose a room by the pool.
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I came to the Zen Resort Bali very exhausted and ready for a change. All I wanted was to relax and be far away from the outside world. My stay there gave me everything I needed. From the first minute on I felt like home, being part of the Zen Family. Everybody of the staff welcomed me with open arms and a big smile on their faces. Every day you can find beautiful flower decorations everywhere in the resort. Everything is made with so much love. It's just wonderful. I stayed there for two weeks and I found peace with myself. Thanks to Suresh who helped with very good medical advice and aryuvedic drinks that made me feel better and thank you to all the wonderful Spa ladies. You are very special and your massages are very, very professional. And of course, my special thanks to all the staff. Please never change who you are! You are great.
For the ones who travel alone. Zen Resort Bali is a very good place for single travelers. You will find other people in your situation immediately. I made a lot of friends and never felt alone.

Room Tip: If you can, take the sunset rooms. They have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tinchen2401
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2014

If you're looking for peace, relaxation, and natural beauty, I couldn't recommend this place more. The lush greenery, tropical flowers, and views out over a rice paddy to the Bali Sea are gorgeous. Spa treatments are amazing; morning yoga in a pleasant outdoor setting is a great way to start the day and is customized as much as possible to guests' ability and experience; meals are fresh and reasonably healthful (without being punitive),offering featuring vegetables grown in the gardens on the premises; villas are simple but comfortable with lovely outdoor showers/changing areas and beautiful views from the front porches. The staff is perhaps the biggest treat of all—everyone was unbelievably charming, friendly, and gracious, from the driver who spotted me immediately at the airport (even though he had no idea what I looked like), to the night receptionist and guard who already knew my name and were waiting to welcome me and show me around the property in the dark of night, to the kitchen workers who took it upon themselves to deliver hot Balinese coffee to my front porch every morning after I mentioned that it would be nice to have coffee before yoga. The spa therapists leave you feeling completely relaxed and nurtured; Ayurvedic medicine doctor Soresh will provide a lengthy personal consultation about optimizing your diet and health habits if you wish; and the lovely and uber-competent manager, Budiani, makes a point of introducing herself to each guest and making sure everyone is enjoying a good stay.

I did a Harmony Dive Package, and the dive instructor, Deepa, was as pleasant, accommodating, and competent as the rest of the staff, and led us on four really great dives to a World War II shipwreck and the beautiful Menjangen Island.

A couple of caveats:

-- ZenResort is secluded and the atmosphere is sedate, which was great as far as I'm concerned, but it's not the place to go if you are looking for nearby nightlife, shopping, or a restaurant scene, or hoping to party at the resort.

-- The nearby beach is definitely not a beautiful and luxurious white-sand beach! It's narrow and the sand is grubby and grayish, and frankly, there's quite a bit of trash on the beach. It is a good place to interact with locals and observe a slice of local life, however, and the sea is calm and refreshing for a swim.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Margaret River, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

As soon as i arrived at Zen Resort i realised it was a very special place . The staff were extremely welcoming and i was immediately impressed by the grounds even though i arrived at night.
My room was in the Sunset section and i would choose this room again . Wonderful views out over the Bali Sea through the most lush tropical gardens. A beautiful big Lotus Pond stands in front of every Sunset Room.
The outdoor bathroom was very large and a treat to use every time . The bedrooms have timber floors and are simply but adequately furnished - very "Zen " .
Yoga Classes are held every morning in a very nice outdoor pavilion with a very competent teacher . The Ayurvedic Treatments are out of this world and the Spa is surrounded by beautiful beautiful gardens. I can honestly say i have never heard / seen so many different birds in one place.
Everywhere you look there is beauty which takes your breath away and the views from the gorgeous pool sublime .
I am planning my next visit to Zen already . Staff and therapists genuine and caring and it is an extremely nurturing experience.
It is not close to any Restaurants or Nightlife so if you are looking for that sort of holiday Zen is not for you. To get the maximum benefit from staying here i suggest you purchase one of the Wellness/ Purification Packages and take advantage of all that Zen Resort has to offer.
I hope to be able to stay there again soon ...

Room Tip: I preferred the Sunset Rooms because of the view but the Sunrise rooms are closer to the Pool and yo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seririt
The Damai
#1 of 4 in West Bali National Park
Mayo Resort
Mayo Resort
#2 of 2 in Seririt

Been to Zen Resort Bali? Share your experiences!