“IllumInation of the Soul...”
Review of Zen Resort Bali

Zen Resort Bali
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seririt
Reviewed March 30, 2013

No words or pictures can describe the beauty of this place one of a kind.

Spending time @ the Zen Resort is not only a vacation but a whole recreation of body, mind and soul.

I must say that nothing was missing on this exceptional week and my expectations have been exeeded in all areas.

I can highly recommend this wonderful resort.

Thanks so much to Mr Mehendra, Miss Budiani and the entire team....You are all very special! <3

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My trip to Zen Bali really changed things for me. I arrived feeling really unwell and left feeling full of joy and good health. The people there couldn't be more caring and nurturing.
I had the five day rejuvenation package and I highly recommend it if you want to have a quick holiday that packs a powerful spiritual punch.
I'm going back for sure but I'll book a longer break. This is the kind of thing that more people need to do for themselves.
Zen Bali isn't the cheapest resort, nor is it the most expensive. But I think it's the best value for money there is. I can't wait to return.

1  Thank Cathy J
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I came to Zen after 2.5 years of a very stressful work contract in a very challenging development context. I had lost hair and my appetite, I couldn't sleep, I hadn't exercised in about a year and was just exhausted. I stayed at Zen for 9 nights as part of a customized stress release package and truly wished I could have stayed for the recommended 15 days. As many of the other reviewers already report the experience was beyond my expectations and well worth the money. I don't think I've ever felt so nurtured in my entire life. In addition to all the relaxation and revitalization, Zen really helps guests prepare for heading back out into their lives with yoga and breathing practices that can easily be done daily to help relieve stress.

The resort's setting is beautiful. The first thing I noticed was the number of butterflies and birds everywhere. There are so many they don't shy away from people. The butterflies are exquisite - in all my travels (30+) countries I've never seen the variety and beauty of the butterflies at Zen.

The staff are first-rate - professional, attentive, warm, funny and so sincere in their desire to help you relax, heal and enjoy the resort and surrounding area. From my first point of contact with Budiani via email to make my booking and customize my package to my airport drop off everything was taken care of. The owner was also staying at Zen during my stay and invited all the guests to dine with him one evening. He made it a point to get to know each guest staying. It really made me feel part of the Zen family.

Highlights for my stay included the Ayurvedic treatments (4 hours a day!), beautiful food, yoga and meditation, visiting the beach in the morning after breakfast, the staff and other guests. I have a lot of experience with massage and the treatments I received at Zen were unlike anything I've ever experienced. The therapists were true healers, highly intuitive...the way they delivered the massage felt like a form of devotion. Every inch of me felt cherished. I highly recommend taking before and after photos of yourself if you stay at Zen - the transformation (at least in my case) was remarkable.

The food: given that I was participating in a health and wellness program I didn't expect the food to be so good. The food was Indonesian-European, healthy - fish, chicken, abundant vegetables and fruit - but was beautifully flavored and the perfect portion size. You could also request the kitchen to half your portion if you wanted less. I was particularly impressed by the delicate treatment of the fish - always cooked to perfection and never overdone. Over the past year, due to stress, I had lost my appetite and desire for food. As a foodie this was the worst thing that could happen to me. At Zen I began to crave and desire food again which in turn made me feel alive again.

I looked forward to yoga everyday and surprised myself that I made it out of bed everyday at 6.30 to practice. Iluh the instructor knew how to push me and I got into poses that I haven't been able to do in years.

There is so much more I could say but simply cannot do it in the space allotted! Zen is truly a unique place and experience...and I am very grateful for the care they gave me during my stay. I will most definitely be back.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Zen Resort is beyond my usual budget, but I had a wonderful time there and do not regret the money spent.

I was comforted and well taken care of from the first moment when I was picked up at the airport to the last, when various staff members came out to wish me well as I was paying the bill. All the staff knew me by name, including the security guard who showed me to the lovely outdoor yoga area at 7 am the first morning. The spa treatments made me feel so very good and I loved sipping ginger tea afterwards, feeling so relaxed and happy as I looked out into the lovely secluded garden watching butterflies flutter from flower to flower.

My room! wooden floors, decadent large, comfortable bed, a safe (I was traveling with a lot of cash, so that made me happy), solid wooden hangers in the closet, a fridge, fresh fruit every day, flowers scattered about, a view into the garden - made me happy just being there. I did venture out of the resort to dive one day and to walk down to the sea for an early morning swim, but I was quite happy to spend day after day entirely within the resort, either in my grand room, or getting treatments or in the pool from which there was a grand view of rice fields and the sea far below. I loved relaxing in the giant sunken bathtub (with steaming hot water) in the rain, as the tub was outside, but protected by a tile roof. I loved working on my computer on the wooden desk under the window which looked out to the verdant garden. I loved relaxing on the day bed on my enormous veranda and the way the man who cleaned my room folded my towel into different animal shapes each day.

Though you can certainly find cheaper places to stay in Bali, I doubt you will find a more enjoyable and pleasant place to stay than Zen Resort. (Unless you are the type of person who needs to have lots of very loud bars and dance halls near by - Zen Resort is quiet and peaceful).

Room Tip: I think all rooms are very nice, but I'd ask for one with an outdoor bathtub facing the sea, not...
2  Thank KateBD
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful five day stay at Zen Resort Bali at the end of January.  It is located on the northern coastline which is one of the most quiet parts of Bali, away from the tourist hordes, and has a lovely view of the Bali Sea. It's also an easy walk to the beach if you want a swim although the beach is not the main attraction in this part of the island (it's a black sand beach and there's no surf). We came to Zen Resort with high expectations to enjoy the tranquility, healthy food and authentic ayurvedic healing treatments, and the experience was even better than we had hoped for.

The grounds are very beautiful and carefully maintained with fresh flowers strewn daily along the pathways. We stayed in one of the sunset view villas and it was very spacious, clean and appealingly presented and designed with a lovely outdoor shower and bath tub. Fresh flowers and drinking water were delivered each day. The villas have a lovely outdoor covered patio area with a running fountain next to it and picturesque views.

The restaurant serves delicious meals with good options for vegetarians like us, and the chef was only too happy to customize our meals and accommodate any of our specific food requirements.

But the main reason we were there was for the ayurvedic treatments and the resident ayurvedic doctor, Mr Suresh, is a genuine ayurvedic healer who comes from many generations of ayurvedic doctors in Kerala, India, and is very courteous, knowledgeable and attentive.  He's the real deal! One of the best aspects was that Mr Suresh assessed our ayurvedic constitution and devised a personalized treatment plan for both of us for our stay as well as advices on how to maintain our health on our departure and return to "normal life".  He has trained his staff at the spa very well and all the therapists were a absolute delight.  Indeed all the staff are the resort are very well trained and, as is the case with the Balinese people in general, are genuinely friendly and helpful.

We highly recommend Zen Resort as a beautiful place to completely decompress, receive the most wonderful healing and restorative treatments and learn about how to bring your body and mind into balance. We definitely wish to come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: We prefer the sunset villas - more private and probably a better view than the sunrise villas.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albie-One
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my second visit to Zen; the first time was 4 years ago. I was hoping it would be as good as I had remembered it to be. It was even better. There had been some improvements to the rooms since last time with the addition of fridges, safes and wi-fi. What impressed me the most though were the staff. Everyone from 4 years ago were still working there (plus a few new ones), and everyone remembered me. It was so good to see them all again. I was warmly welcomed back by them all, even by the gardener. It was like coming home.

I stayed for 2 weeks this time and asked for a custom-tailored package which they had no problems doing (no sightseeing as I saw it all last time, instead, more treatments). The daily yoga was excellent. I was surprised how quickly I regained my flexibility. I also enjoyed the pre-dinner meditation. The spa treatments were still the best. The Open Chakra massage was absolutely AMAZING! Thanks again to Suresh and the spa ladies.

The sunrise dolphin cruise is a must do. We were lucky enough to see hundreds of dolphins.

This is a great place for solos to come as there were a few of us there at the same time and we were able to bond over our common experiences at Zen.

I will look forward to my next stay at Zen and see how Dr. Shah's vision has further developed. Hopefully, it won't be another 4 years before I see you all again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank divebunny1
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Spa treatments are excellent. Food is very good. Rooms are nice. View and garden is nice. Location and service is ok. I felt more than at home like"a customer" becausm anagers are money oriented!! Compared to other places is expensive but the quality of the food and the treatments compensated. It's worthy!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Marca1900
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seririt
The Damai
The Menjangan
The Menjangan
#1 of 4 in West Bali National Park
Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa

Been to Zen Resort Bali? Share your experiences!