“Perfection”

Perfect Day Ocean Cruise
Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Tutukaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: An icon on Northland’s horizon, the Poor Knights Islands are both a complete Marine Reserve, and a Nature Reserve. The Perfect Day’s half-day cruise takes you snorkeling, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding in sub-tropical waters, sightseeing into the World's largest sea-cave and through spectacular arches. With a dramatic volcanic backdrop and turbulent Maori history, teaming schools of fish and bird life, this is a day you will remember for the rest of your life.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband, 16 year old daughter and I had a brilliant day out to the Poor Knights Islands with the crew from A Perfect Day.
We enquired on the day to see if they had any vacancies and were fortunate to be told "yes, no problem". From that point on everything was indeed perfect - both land and sea crew went that extra mile to ensure every need and want were catered for, and always with a sunny smile.

Safety aspects were covered thoroughly, and all essential gear (wetsuits, snokels, fins etc) were included, even a "prescription" mask for my hubby was available. On board were single and double kayaks, along with stand up paddleboards.

A healthy lunch of ham/chicken/roast beef and salad sandwiches, fruit salad and tea/coffee/hot soup were provided, but most importantly (imho), there were hot showers to warm you up after the crystal clear, but chilly water. There were lots of colourful and inquisitive fish around.

The trip takes around an hour each way, then the boat anchors for around 2.5 hrs to give you plenty of time to snorkel, paddle or just relax - there were plenty of sunny and shady spots on board, depending on your preference.

It really was just the most perfect day, and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank ComoCat
There are newer reviews for Perfect Day Ocean Cruise

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went out to Poor Knights in a slight chop, but anchored in a sheltered bay and timorously went snorkelling. The crew could not have been more helpful and kind, in getting us started. We then spent far longer than we anticipated viewing the fish, rocks and seaweed. The views from the small caves out to the sunlight were magic. Back on board we had a huge, healthy and tasty lunch, followed by a cruise around the islands, into sea caves and through sea arches.

It was a wonderful day, and in our opinion very well worth the money and the time.

1  Thank 876James
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have gone on this cruise twice, first time with my wife about a year ago, and today with my mother. Both times were simply amazing. The crew is very nice and the facilities are excellent. Lunch is simple, but it will do. Truly one of the best snorkeling spots in the world (and I have been to a few places). Go to the Shark Fin cave - the most fish you will ever see in a single spot! Commentary about the history of the islands was very good too.
A steak dinner is on me to whoever finds a wedding ring I lost there last year. :)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We live so close but have never been out to the Poor Knights. Thanks to a friend getting married we had this chance. It was fantastic. The crew on board the boat were out of this world. The captain was so informative, friendly and helpful. Oh, and then theres the fish to look at. All I can say is that this trip was equally as good as when we snorkeled off the Great Barrier Reef. Highly highly recommended.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

All the reviews are correct. We went on the dive boat so my his and could dive but did the same things As the cruise boat. I am not a swimmer but even I got in the water. The views are amazing and we had dolphins on the way home. A must do tour if visiting the area.