“Amazing Diving, Amazing Company”
Review of Dive Tutukaka

Dive Tutukaka
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Tutukaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The longest standing family-run dive company around; with a number of boats, professional crew, and every day all year round trips to the Poor Knights Islands. Passionate about the environment, conservation, for divers, snorkellers, and sightseers.
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing Diving, Amazing Company”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The service on this charter was exceptional from the check in and gear up through to departure. All the crew were very friendly and easy to chat to. They made you feel relaxed and right at home. They had excellent knowledge of the Poor Knights marine environment and history and you could tell they were passionate about preserving the environment they were in. A clear stand out, also, was that they looked after our equipment before and after the tour, including washing the equipment at the end (this is something we haven't always experienced in the past).

The crew were happy to listen to our requests and were flexible - we were given the option of going with a guide or on our own. After going with a guide for the first dive, we opted to go on our own for the next dive. The crew gave us a detailed dive plan and told us what to keep an eye out for. On our second day out (one day wasn't enough!) we requested to see some archways and more swim-throughs and they were happy to oblige.

As someone with experience in the tourism industry, I can say that the high level of customer service we experienced would be/ is difficult to surpass.

We look forward to coming back again soon!

Oslo, Norway
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent dive center”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Diving with these guys was really fun! Not only the dive spots were awesome, but the time spent on the surface onboard was fun thanks to a very friendly crew.
Highly recommended for all divers, from beginners to very experienced.

Greymouth, New Zealand
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Very professional”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My adult daughter and I did two days diving at the Poor Knights. The whole experience was excellent. One of the things that surprised me was the number of divers. Normally, when I dive it is with one or two other divers. The first there were about 24 divers and on the second day about 16. because of this getting kitted up takes a little time, but once that is over the diving is excellent. The company are very safety conscious and every effort is made to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable time

Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome three days!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Went here to do Padi open water with two friends whilst my boyfriend did padi advanced open water. From the start these guys were great, emailed us straight back and on our sea dive days had us all on the same boat. Steve was our instructor who from the start was friendly and didn't mind going over concepts or skills again when we were nervous or didn't quite get it. He knew so much about the aquatic life at poor knights that we also learned about the ecosystem we were looking as we'll as how to dive. My boyfriend was doing his course with his instructor Sophie who was also fantastic and really patient after he had some problems equalising. All the instructors learned our names and were so chatty and friendly.
Great place, great people, great diving. It's an essential NZ experience!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Beckygrim
Perth, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Not as good as I expected”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Right up I've got to say that I'm a dive instructor and have done >1,000 dives in lots of fabulous locations around the world. I had really high expectations of the day's diving as the Poor Knights has the reputation of one of the great dive sites in the world.

I really like the website with its emphasis on conservation and the environment and that is mainly what influenced me to dive with Dive Tutakaka. I emailed them a query and got a speedy response.

We scheduled a four day stay in the region in case we decided to do more than one day's diving.

This is a pretty big operation and it is well organised and slick in getting you kitted up (we had opted not to bring any gear from Australia as we would be doing limited diving in NZ) and getting everything on to the boat (& you don't have to carry anything yourself). I knew that the water was going to be relatively cold and was really surprised that gloves would not be supplied (if we had of known this, we would have at least brought gloves not just for the cold but also for protection).

The crew (Steve, Sophie & Jo) were great and tried really hard, but from my perspective the diving just wasn't very spectacular. The visibility was limited and, whilst there was a nice spot with lots of fish, I just can't get too excited anymore about seeing nudibranchs. We were also diving in groups (four on the first dive and five on the second) and even though our guide did a great job in herding us underwater cats, we did spend quite a lot of time dealing with people who had run out of air etc.

It was a good day overall and we did see a pod of dolphins who hung around and played with us for quite a while. We also got to motor through a hole in a rock and into a huge cave (the largest cave in the Southern Hemisphere).

For the price that we paid ($500 for two dives for two people) and especially for a boat working in such cold water a lot of the time, I would have expected a hot shower on board. We also could not believe that the shop uses the same wetsuits throughout the year eg we were diving in 7m two piece suits in 14 degree Celsius water - we were told that the water temperature in summer gets up to 21 degrees in summer and these wet suits would be intolerable in these conditions.

Apparently things are very different in summer - wish we could have postponed things for a couple of months.

Visited October 2013