Quality Hotel Oceans Tutukaka
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoverlooking the marinapoor knightscontinental breakfasthuge roomhotel roomdive tripbacon and eggsdive shopschnappa rockbeautiful spotnew zealandcomfortable roomsshort driveyogurtbeachesreceptionistaccommodation
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I just attend a weekend worshop at oceans resort. The place is clean and nice. The rooms are spacious. The staff are friendly and nice. Only that the dinner experience is not impressive. We start the dinner at 7, but the main course came at 9, I ordered steak, and it was cold and tasteless. I hardly had a bite.
Overall, I still enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are good
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We frequently visit Oceans and were there last week. We often drop into the restaurant, especially over the summer game fishing season and have stayed in a Marina View room, whilst travelling with our trailer boat. We find all Oceans staff extremely helpful and friendly. The food served from the restaurant is delicious (sumptious selection of mains, with yummy polenta fries) and have had many items from their all day menu (which we appreciate when missing dinner), including the fresh mussels which we love! It's also great sampling their refreshing cocktails, especially during happy hour. Our room was lovely and sunny, with a beautiful view over the marina and out to the harbour. We enjoyed bubbles on our deck to celebrate our wedding anniversary, the bath after a long day out on the boat was bliss and our large bed was very comfortable.

We were happy our car and boat were secure, and the wash down facility provided for the boat and to clean fish were much appreciated! Our only disappointment was that we didn't fit in time to have a swim in the pool but have just purchased a voucher to go back again for two nights, which we are really looking forward to. This is a great place with value for your money - it's a place to go to and relax, and enjoy all the beautiful surroundings Tutukaka has to offer!

Room Tip: Marina view rooms capture the sun and have fantastic views, although they don't have air-con there is a fan over the bed and you can open a window to let the fresh sea breeze in. The rooms overlooking the pool and bush may be a little cooler and quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in January 2012. I was not sure what to expect before I arrived as Tutukaka was just a small town.

First impression was not great. The reception was not staffed 24 hours. The check in process was ok but the receptionist had not bothered to explain anything. Only after asking, she informed me about the hotel amenities which were minimal anyway. The pool and BBQ area, as per the previous review, was indeed on top of a car park. It was small anyway, more like a paddling pool for children. The price for the wifi was extortionate and the signal strength was not good.

I had a 'sea view' room. The decoration of my room and thoughtout the hotel was somewhat tired looking. The bathroom was old and very average. There was an empty fridge with nothing in it. I normally would not mind an empty fridge in hotel room as the in room minibar items are usually over-priced anyway. However, in Tutukaka where there is only one genral store that closes at 7pm, you will have a bit of a problem if you need some drinking water after that time !

The hotel breakfast was 'continental style', which means all you get are cereals, breads/rolls, tin fruits, poor quality juices and hot drinks. However, they do serve other hot items from the menu, at a price (expensive one too). I made a mistake of having one dinner there in the evening that I arrived. The food was of poor quality and the serving staff was very amateur. I ordered a 'seared tuna with beans and potatoes' from main course section of the dinner menu. When it arrived, I was shocked to find that it was actually a cold dish. They should have made it clearer on the menu or simply call it a 'salad'. I pointed out this to the serving staff but she simply shrugged her shoulders and said 'sorry'. She made no attempt to offer a change for another hot dish. I was not impressed.

On my last day, whilst I was packing and getting ready for check out, my room door was opened from outside. I shouted from the bathroom and it was closed immediately. I did not open the door to investigate as I was not sure who it was out there. I immediately rang the reception to express my concern. Instead of sending security (they probably don't have special security staff), she informed me that it was 'probably' house-keeping. Only after I complained that I did not feel safe, she reluctantly came to my room. When she arrived, she informed me that she had investigated and it was indeed the house keeping trying to clean my room. I argued that they should have known that I had not checked out.

Upon check out, I asked to speak to the duty manager about the stay. The staff at the reception turned out to be the supervisor for guest services and she told me that there was no manager around at that time. I pointed out that there was no 'do not disturb' sign for me to use to avoid a similar incidence. There was also no extra lock inside the room. The door would lock itself once closed. In fact, the security was poor generally in the hotel as the back entrance was not guarded and had direct access to lifts and stairs and it was also out of sight from the main entrance and the restaurant. I then demanded that she speak to the hotel manager on my behalf. I had also requested for a written response. However, to this date (after 6 weeks), I hear nothing.

Overall, this hotel is of poor value and they have serious security issue. However, there are not many options available if you want to stay in Tutukaka. I would not stay here again !

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank DrET
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Only good point I can think of is that they were helpful in recommending somewhere else to stay and did not charge cancellation fee. I don't think description and photos match reality. Swimming pool & BBQ area - on top of multi story car park at rear of hotel. Hotel is some distance back from sea. Suite we had been allocated, ordinary - just someones rooms. This was for a teat weekend over Christmas- they told us after booking that restaurant was going to be closed after breakfast. Expensive- had we stayed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank GavinOclee
Reviewed February 7, 2012

A crowd of us stayed in Oceans resort last week as we were all down for the Winery tour and chose it because it was directly opposite where the concert was so all we had to do was a wee stagger back at the end of the night!

First impressions were good. The staff are young, very friendly and helpful. The room we had was large with a big, very comfortable bed. Only one pillow, though. However a couple of things hit us when we entered the room. The first one was the baking heat and the second was the stink of frying food. We opened the windows to try and make the room cooler ( no air conditioning) and were whacked in the face by the even more powerful smell of fried food. Turns out that room 315 is directly above the kitchen extractor fan. So whatever you do - in the height of summer - try not to get this room - we had the choice of boiling to death or stinking! As we were only there for one night it wasn't a huge deal, just annoying. If we'd been staying longer we would have asked to be moved to another room.

The rooms were pretty clean, but the bathroom mirror was all smeared and the toilet wasn't as clean as it should be.

So on the positive notes - lovely, huge comfortable bed - which let's face it is pretty important in a hotel room! Friendly staff. Also the pool area is really good to hang around in - and if you are super nice to the bar staff they'll even bring you some food up!

Downside - no air conditioning and DON"T book room 315.

We would stay here again, but we'd specify a room.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the marina rather than the back rooms. NOT 315!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends