“Paradise & True Happiness in Little Bay”
Review of Little Bay Cabins

Little Bay Cabins
Oelwein, Iowa
“Paradise & True Happiness in Little Bay”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We traveled from Iowa to Little Bay for our Honeymoon. I am speaking honestly and from the heart, we could not have had a better time anywhere else in the world. Little Bay is a quaint priceless hideaway from the world. The actual property was amazing, but it was simply the Staff of Little Bay Cabins that made it PERFECT! They went above and beyond their duties to see that we were taken care of. Mike, the owner was an amazing man who lives and breaths his dream. I cannot say enough about the people of Jamaica. We will be back!

The one and only tip I would give, is that you need to be prepared for a wild and crazy ride from the airport to Little Bay. Roads are not in the best condition and it takes getting used to driving on the opposite side of the road.. Please do not rent a car, use Little Bays shuttle service. It is too dangerous. Leave the driving to the experienced drivers.

Overall, 1,000 stars out of 10!

We love you Little Bay!

Room Tip: Single cabins are awesome! Walls on side by side cabins are a little thin. The "Legend"...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Little Bay Cabins... what a great experience. I went with a friend after purchasing a Living Social voucher. That was the BEST purchase of my life! Quiet, serene, peaceful, relaxing. Even though it was easy to stay on the beautiful property, we ventured off into the neighborhood and met so many wonderful, friendly, open local people! The accommodations were fantastic- clean, colorful and full of a vibrant energy that permeated throughout. Hammocks and lounge chairs scattered throughout made relaxing next to the ocean ideal.

The Jamaican staff at the Cabins were the nicest, friendliest group any one could ask for.

The food at the Cabins was just ok- very americanized. Do not recommend getting the meal plan. Would ABSOLUTELY suggest taking it day-by-day. PLEASE go down the road to Wayne's World. Help support the local community! We spent most of our time down the road at Wayne's World, the best homestyle Jamaican cooking I have ever had. Wayne lives in the house across the street with his family, takes specialized orders for lunch or dinner, will prepare whatever you want and serve it to you at his bar or on candlelit tables on the beach. Incredibly romantic and a fun experience. Best traditional Jamaican food I've tasted!

Overall, what an incredible experience. I will go back many many many times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ashley M
Gilford, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Little Bay Cabins is located in a remote area of Jamaica that provides for a very relaxing vacation. As the pictures show, the location is absolutely beautiful. This is not your typical "all inclusive" style resort. It is better defined as upscale camping. There is no T.V., internet, or cell phone service. The cabins have full bathrooms, electricity and daily maid service, but no air conditioning. The bedroom is cooled by a ceiling fan and natural sea breezes. I found the breeze and the sound of the ocean very conducive to sleeping from dusk to dawn. The down side is the occasional mosquito that finds its way to you and leaves you with a couple of bites by morning.
Upon our arrival, we met the owner and various staff members who were very courteous and friendly. The hospitality provided by the staff and all of the Jamaican people that we encountered during our stay was simply amazing. The only annoying person that we came across was an American native non-permanently residing on the island, attempting to engage in his side job of “getting you anything you need” while smoking his large marijuana cigarette. Along those lines, the only type of smoking by any of the islanders that we encountered was of the cannabis variety. This can be very troublesome if this is not your thing and/or your employment requires random drug testing.
During our stay, we purchased the daily meal plan (breakfast, lunch and dinner for $30.00/ day). Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day with the other meals being hit or miss. The staff indicated that a new chef was coming and we did experience his food for two meals that were the best of our five day stay.
We took the walking tour of the “Bat Cave” and “Bob Marley” house and natural spring water hole. This was a nice hike of the area that included some children from the local school running out to greet us. I found the tour enjoyable and of the correct length. We opted to remain at the resort for the remainder of our stay and enjoyed numerous massages that were fantastic. We also engaged in some of the water sports at the resort but had to be cautious due to stinging jelly fish that were present during certain water conditions. During our stay, I observed three different people that had received stings from the jelly fish.
Overall, our trip to Little Bay Cabins was enjoyable and relaxing. I can honestly say that by the end of our five days, we were very ready to head back to our normal lives, food, and conveniences.
Bill from Boston

Room Tip: Beach front cabin is a must.
3 Thank William2013_13
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Little Bay Cabins

Wow, what a fantastic secluded bubble of relaxation. I needed to "get away from it all" and this was definitely the place to do that! My friend and I flew into Montego Bay and arranged our own transport with Island Pride as it was less expensive than the transfer at $100 each way with Little Bay Cabins (LBC). Turns out we had a more executive style vehicle too!  However, LBC is quite difficult to find as its about 25 mins from Negril through a small village and out on a beach road.  The best thing about this is you will not be bothered by any locals trying to sell you things at the resort or whilst relaxing on the beach.  As soon as we arrived at LBC we had a very friendly welcome and were shown around the resort.  We stayed in Cabin 5 which is an individual unit.  I was going to detail the other units but that's been done in other reviews now. The beachfront cabins are superb, so close to the beach you can hear the waves lapping.  The remaining cabins, with views of the pretty garden, and just a few extra steps to the beach.  All the rooms are kept very clean. We had Princess and Donna housekeeping every day and they do a thorough and great job. We gave them a nice tip for bringing not only smiles and a friendly word every day but fresh towels and sheets when we asked for them too.  We bought the food package for $30 each day plus taxes.  Five days was a total of $175.  We heard the chef is still fairly new so each day gets better with practice, but all our meals were good with two choices - American and local.  Breakfast always has an option of eggs any style and the omelet with everything in was delicious. Lunch usually offered a sandwich or hamburger or fried fish. For dinner we had jerk chicken, curried goat, lobster pasta, local fish and more. All were very tasty and always freshly prepared. Every morning we went snorkeling, either out to the reef, or just around the corals close the the beach.  The first morning the waters out by the reef were crystal clear and it was just like swimming in a massive tropical aquarium.  Mostly small fish but so many different ones.  Top Shelf met us every morning with a smile and always came out with us on a kayak, which also meant if anyone wanted a ride out or back they could. LBC provide snorkels, masks and flippers and use of the kayaks every day. Top Shelf became a great companion to one lady in our group that enjoyed a sunset kayak each day. He always wanted to make sure we were happy and that we were looked after and safe whilst in the water.  Just beware of all the sea urchins. You definitely need water shoes if not wearing flippers. We also spotted a lion fish on two occasions, that was beautiful although apparently a predator to the local fish.  The first night we had heavy rains which then resulted in murky waters for the remaining days, but still able to see and admire the wonderful corals and fish.  There are huge leaf corals, brain corals etc. We also saw two big starfish.   Mike, the owner, was very friendly and accommodating to everyone's requests. He wants to make sure all guests have a good time.  Chris was very friendly too and made sure we had what we needed. Any request you make will be granted by Chevelle, in the office, or the guys behind the bar, if its possible. Chevelle helped to confirm our booking and even called me the day before arrival to ensure all was ok with our airport transfer.  She is a sweetheart. Highly recommend LBC if you want to enjoy the beach, the water, the fish, real local Jamaica and unplug and relax, mon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michaela_USA
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is a great place for a couples retreat. If you bring kids, they might get bored. The cabins are adorable but I'd recommend the Legend. It is the owner's former house and it is beautifully built. Plus, it has a small kitchen (minus a stove) and when you open the door, you are at the water. It is also away from the other cabins and this provides more privacy. As for the food, it is good quality native food, but you do not have a selection. Maybe 2 options for each meal and there is only one place to eat. Thus, if you do not like what the meal, you are out of luck. (Bring snacks). As for places to go, you must pay a driver. They are excellent and nice but you will have to notify the staff in advance to visit other locations and the roads are not the best. Overall, this is off the grid and a most enjoyable location.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or fitness center. Everything is clean and basic. There is no AC and you d...
1 Thank morgan063
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We are a retired couple who stayed at LBC in Feb. 2013. We’ve been reading other reviews, and I think considering a number of contradictions you have to take into account the attitude/perspective of the writer. For instance, many have praised the staff. And to me, the staff is a lot of what makes LBC great. Someone mentioned “rude staff.” That seems to have changed sometime during their visit. Makes me wonder what happened. I do remember one evening when I felt one staff member must have some personal issue going on. I suspect that happens to all of us and colors our behavior. I will also note after a career working with the public, people can be very demanding and unreasonable. People can also be very gracious and kind. And it affects the relationship. Our “unhappy” staff member got over it.

My 3rd time to Jamaica, 4th for my wife - and I’ll suggest LBC is not living like the locals live. Most locals cannot afford that type of luxury. For North Americans, it’s a bit like roughing it. For Jamaicans, it’s luxurious. The difference is in perspective and expectation. I have driven a rental car every time I have been in Jamaica. No problem, mon. But I also understand how scary it is. And the roads are rough at best. That said, I drove a small Toyota into LBC with little problem. As I entered the final stretch, a dirt road, I was concerned about tearing out the oil pan or something else underneath. So I picked my lanes carefully and was moving at less than 5 mph. It’s what the conditions required – at least for someone like me on new ground. Another couple reported that when the rental agency found out they were going to LBC, they were upgraded to an SUV – a better choice for the drive in.

As most have suggested, the cabins are comfortable and clean – daily maid service by maids that are professional and personal. The staff is the key.

Personally, I would add some storage space, shelves, etc in the rooms. They are very simple. Our cabin had only a shelf and some hangars, a small table and two chairs, one bedside table with lamp. And, of course, the all important and comfortable Adirondack chairs on the porch just steps from the beach.

As another traveler suggested, we like our evening cocktail – rum punch. So we picked up rum and juice on the way in. Juice in Jamaica is mostly juice drink with lots of corn syrup – strange considering the bounty of local fruit. We found we could get cups of ice from the bar and mixed our drinks on the porch for sunset. We’re likewise picky about coffee in the a.m., so we carried one of those immersion heaters and a couple of mugs as well as coffee and a dripper. Self serve coffee is available at the bar but not always ready as early as we were.

Meal plan - we went for it. Didn’t know about Wayne’s before we got there, but would probably have chosen the meal plan anyway. We found the food outstanding overall. Every night included soup, main course, and desert. They had us the first night with honey garlic lobster. Breakfast choices included good coffee, a combination of fruit, French Toast, pancakes, and omelets, all well-prepared. The burgers (and other options) at lunch were definitely of better quality than at Rick’s Café in Negril. If Rick’s is your idea of a good time, LBC may not be. Rick’s is OK, glad we went. But there are thousands of bars like that; their gimmick is the dive/jump. And we got that at the Blue Hole (at half price because we were staying at LBC- $5 instead of $10). In fact the stunt man doing gymnastic handstands in the tree before diving into the Blue Hole was better than anything we saw at Rick’s. And it was a more Jamaican scene than Rick’s. (We also stayed 3 nights on the cliffs in Negril; I don’t think we have reason to go back there when we could go to LBC or Port Antonio out on the northeast side.)

Little Bay Cabins is a great place to relax and feel the Jamaican vibe. The staff – maids, cooks, servers, front office, gardeners, and above all, the life guard, TopShelf, who kept a variety of snorkel gear, water shoes, and a close eye on anyone in the water – they really can contribute to your visit. Just treat them like friends and they’ll return the favor. Is it on our go-back list? Absolutely! Will we? Well there are so many other places we haven’t been yet. We’ll see.

Room Tip: Ask for Ziggy's House for 1 BR
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I want to start with the fact that we are not affiliated with the Little Bay Cabins at all. We are not a brother, sister, cousin, friend of any of the staff. We are just a couple who like to travel and are finally getting around to writing a review about somewhere we've been.
My husband, best friend and I bought the living social deal and were a little nervous about going, after some of the reviews, but we knew going in it was not going to be a resort experience. We had a great time! I have to admit, we were very lucky with the group we were with. We clicked really well and had no problem socializing together. The staff was great, Mike, Kesha, Asmar (Ozzie) Dwayne, Hermine. Pablo was a great driver/tour guide, make sure you ask for him if you use the transportation Little Bay provides. Our saving grace, though was a driver named Bradley! He will come and pick you up and take you anywhere within reason. He rescued us in Negril after a bad taxi experience with 2 rip off artists and took us back for half of what they wanted to charge us. After enduring the treacherous road back, we figured he'd never come and pick us up to take us anywhere else again, but we called him a couple days later when the group wanted to go back to Negril and he was happy to come back. The price was the same (10.00 pp one way). He's a very safe driver and has access to newer vans that seat many people and it have air conditioning. He not only took us round trip to Negril. He spent the day with us, took us shopping, to eat, to Ricks and to eat again, and then home. He didn't charge us any extra. If you're interested in his phone number before you go, email me.
Now back to the cabins. I will start with the bad;
Make sure you call and verify the cabin you're going to be in and email a few times too. There seemed to be much confusion with who was where and it can really mess your vacation up, if you show up and someone else is booked in the cabin you reseved for yourself. This was remedied for our group, but not after a lot of stress.
The road is really bad getting in there, I wouldn't rent a car there, leave it to the professionals. Although there was a foursome there that did rent a car and other than getting lost once, they seemed to do okay.
Walls thin, very thin. I was in the quad so we were kept up by snoring, talking, laughing, etc. get number 5, it's all alone and oceanfront.
Also, dog barking, all night. I didn't realize until we were leaving that the dog belongs to someone on staff and is tied up and does not like it one bit. He's a sweet dog, Mike and Kesha, if you're reading this, have him untie the dog. It really is annoying and not fare to the dog at all.
The food was okay, but I don't think I'd get the meal plan again. One of the guests in our group actually spent time in the kitchen helping come up with some more creative meals using the resources grown right on the island. The food was better when she helped, hopefully they will take what they learned and use it for future guess. My husband and friend liked it better than I, cause I think I'm kind of picky. We went to Wayne's World a couple of times, even though we already purchased the meal plan, and that was outstanding! Wish we would have ate more there. Like others have said, you just order what you want early in the day and he will have it ready for you for dinner. He had a nice table set up for us right on the beach with candles. It was really special and good.
Now, you see I gave it 5 stars even with these things, because that's how special this place is.
The good:
Beautiful Views, ocean at you feet. Wake to the sounds of crashing waves and birds. Peaceful and quiet most of the time (except with the dog at night LOL!)
Pristine property. impeccably clean rooms, chance to meet new friends and experience the real Jamaica. Friendly staff who make you feel like family. Cheap drinks and great bartenders!
The perfect setting to reconnect with your family and friends. I will never forget this experience and will definitely be returning. Hopefully, your experience will even be better as information is given on here from those of us who have lived and learned.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank debbiedebdoo
#1 of 3 in Little Bay
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 81 in Negril

Been to Little Bay Cabins? Share your experiences!