“I would go back in a heartbeat” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little Bay Cabins

and 1 more site!
Little Bay Cabins
Cambridge, MA
“I would go back in a heartbeat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Little Bay using the Living Social Voucher in April of 2012 (we are Americans living in Boston, ages 27 and 30). While I write this, I feel like shouting: "LISTEN TO ME, NOT THE NEGATIVE NANCY'S!'" I'm so sad to see unflattering reviews, because as a young world traveling couple, Little Bay Cabins was a lovely experience with unparalleled relaxation. We rarely go to the same place/country twice, but we WILL be back to Little Bay.

I'll start from the top and address some concerns I've seen. Little Bay is a far distance by car from the airport, over an hour. But, it is an eye-opening journey through the hills of Jamaica. Our driver (Eggy) stopped along the way to purchase us Red Stripes and and jerk chicken from a great roadside stand. Honestly, the drive didn't bother us one bit, we enjoyed the gentle acclimation to the new culture. We felt safe, and happy, the whole way there. FYI, don't buy anything from the driver but beer and food - the other stuff you want, will be flowing like water once you reach Little Bay ;-)

As far as the cabins, some are right on the beach - and those are the ones you want. We stayed in Marley House (attached to another cabin, so if you go w/ another couple choose this one). Pick cabins 1-5 if you want a beach view. There is no air conditioning, but we went in April and had no problem with being hot, the fans were totally fine. We had hot water off and on, but it wasn't a big deal, it was never COLD, just not steaming hot. The cabin was always clean and our bathroom was big and beautiful. There are no TVs. I had cell service. It is secluded!

The beach is small but PERFECT. I love to snorkel and woke up early every morning to snorkel out to the coral reef, which takes about fifteen minutes of light swimming to reach. Once you get to the coral, the water gets shallow, 3-4 feet and you can stand, which is nice in case you need a breather. Lots of marine life to be seen, I saw a huge sting ray, a sand dollar that was about one foot across, sea eels, held a starfish, and hundreds of fish. And this is all in your front yard basically, it was a real treat. There are also sea turtles in the bay, but I didn't see any. The water is warm, and gentle, so no need to worry about waves. Bring water shoes, there are a lot of urchins.

Budget and mark-ups. We decided to do the meal plan, which was $30 a day per person. I found the food sufficient, with some meals better than others, it was all edible, and some days I would say: "Can you just make me a tuna melt?" And they did!. But you don't really have another choice, since you are so remote. Definitely do the meal plan, and bring snacks. We did all of the day excursions, including Blue Hole, the Bat Cave, Bob Marley's house, and Bob Marley's swimming hole. We paid extra for these, but nothing major, $5 or $15. We also got a car one day with another couple and took a trip to YS Falls, which was AWESOME. I mention all of the stuff we did because at the end of the trip (with hotel, souvenirs, meals, day trips, transit to airport, alcohol) we ended up spending $675 for our entire bill, not bad at all for a 5 day all-inclusive trip.

A few other fun things:
1.The success of your stay some what depends on the rest of the guests. It is a small place, and you eat your meals together, etc. Our trip was made better by the smiling faces we got to know while there. One day it rained, ruining our plans - so we sat under the palapa with the other 10 guests and staff, drinking, listening to reggae, and playing dominoes. It was my favorite day there! That said, if you end up at Little Bay with boring guests, your trip might be less thrilling.

2. Bonfires by the sea, 3 of the 5 nights we were there.

3. Amazing photography, if you have a fancy camera - bring it.

4. While sitting on the beach, they will chop a coconut straight from the tree and stick a straw in it for you - and you can grab some rum to pour in it as well!

5. There IS nightlife, we went to a local party one night and danced away.

6. If you go to the Blue Hole, opt to take a motorcycle, it's fun. BUT, be careful jumping in, ouch.

7. The staff is beyond friendly, and silly.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin on the beach, numbers 1-5 are the best.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank BostonianCC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
columbia,sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just spent a week at little bay cabins. having read the reviews we were not sure what to expect. Some things were great, some not so much. The place has great potential. With a few changes it could be one of the best small hidden jewel resorts in the carribean.

The rooms are fine. We had all the hot water we wanted, electricity never went out and the room was cleaned daily to perfection. The rooms are right by the ocean. some have better views than others only because of the incredible plants and gardens. A LOT of effort is spent to keep the grounds clean and the landscaping is awesome. Our view was blocked somewhat by flowering plants but that is not a complaint.

The beach is beautiful. The views are fabulous. The sunset is just as good as Ricks in Negril. I would not waste a trip there to see the same thing you can see from your own porch. It is NOT crowded and is very relaxing.

The staff is great. Topshelf is extremely nice and always willing to take you out snorkeling. Pablo is a great guy. Very personable and accomodating.

This is a very laid back place. It is NOT a large busy resort. They are only set up to accomodate about 14-20 guests at a time. If you want constant entertainment, schedules to keep, things to do, this is not your place. You can go to the local spots (bob marley's home etc) if you want or you can go to Negril. Other than that there is not a lot to do. We spent 8-10 hours per day on the beach and on several days we were the only 2 people on the beach because everyone else had gone to Negril.

Now comes the things I would change. I would upgrade the food immediately. The breakfasts are OK. Usually bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast, coffee and juice. During our week there the lunch consisted of cheeseburger or chicken salad sandwich and FF. These were OK, not the best burger I ever had but good. The dinners were where we were really disappointed. We never had a really good meal for supper. The curried goat was served almost nightly and it was mostly fat and bones. The one time we had the lobster we had only shells in our stew and no meat. We had a shrimp dinner one night and the shrimp were krill, about 1/4 inch long. We never had jerk chicken or beans and rice. I hate to sound so negative but with a little imagination the meals could be improved immensely. On the way to the resort Pablo will take you to a roadside jerk stand. We stopped several times and these were the best meals we had all week.

Another small thing that could help would be to get some better beach chairs. the ones there are wood and if you spend hours on the beach they are not very comfortable.

We've been to the carribean many times and we always rate a place by deciding if we would return. Right now I would say no simply because of the meals and we are really not picky eaters believe it or not.

But it is a beautiful place and the people are extremely nice and helpful. A previous reviewer complained of the prevalence of weed. Remember this is Jamaica and smoking weed is what they do. In the big resorts you don't see it so much but when you get in the country which is where LBC is you will see it almost everywhere. my suggestion; when in Rome,....

9 Thank Billy S
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

As I promised, here is the great, bad and the ugly of Little Bay Cabins. The great...This is the place for a peaceful relaxation. No TV, great views, no cellular service unless you can find a cellular tower, no crowds, secluded area so you can rest easy and the owners and staff are the reason my wife and I would return to Little Bay Cabins. Mike, Keisha, Azmar, Topshelf really are warm and friendly. The Bad...I really cannot not add anything that was bad during our recent stay. I guess I could say make sure you do bring bugspray since the ants do bite but you could have this happen at the top dollar resorts you stay at in Jamaica as well. The ugly...The roads are the only ugly thing around the island but that is not the resorts fault but the goverenments. The only suggestions I would have is to make sure bring sunscreen, aloe lotion and snacks, you might get tired of eating Jamaican food (You at least have to try it though, I was unsure at first but the food was very well prepared and I enjoyed it). When traveling around the island ask for "Shorty" this guy can drive his tail off and the van is air conditioned while traveling to your destinations. Weventured out and went to YS Falls which is a must see ($16 per person), Ricks Cafe in Negril has the most amazing atmosphere and the sunsets are the best you'll ever see and the cliff jumping is awesome to watch (Free). Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville was over priced and not crowded but if your into Jimmy Buffett, stop in and check it out (Free, unless you would like 8oz. drinks for $9 and dinner $15 and up). The Blue hole, is a cool place to jump from and has a mineral pool to swim in if you are not into jumping ($15 per person). The tour of Bob Marley's land was amazing to see evening in its present condition. Ask to go into the hole with the mineral water in it, very safe and if your sunburned it really cools you off (Free). Every place you visit, tips are the norm there. bring lots of $1 and $5 bills unless you are the big tipper type. If you are planning a visit to Little Bay Cabins and you have the mind set that your going to a BIG RESORT...Stay home or go to that resort. Not all reviews on here are exactly true and if your a sceptic, make your own conclusions about Little Bay Cabins. We had 8 couples in our party and everyone enjoyed their time at Little Bay Cabins and would definately return.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room would be to ask for cabin #1, #2, #5 or rent out the Legend. Cabins #1 throug...
4 Thank Mike M
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was almost in shock by SugarHill's review and then laughed out loud, I read their other 6 reviews of previous vacations the couple has taken...now I understand...some people can't find happiness, no matter where they look.
Thank you, those few negative reviewers, for keeping Little Bay Cabins a secret for us Pura Vida Lovers, enjoy your luxury cruises and trips to DisneyLand. I'll stick to the strip of paradise that is Little Bay Cabins and continue to feel blessed to have felt ingrained in the natural beauty that is Little Bay, Jamaica. I'm sure my husband will write a review today detailing the 5 star service, curry lobster so amazing it will make you moan, life changing moments only a guest at Little Bay will have to take home and the friends we made for life but my review will be much simpler...we have names, jobs, commitments and responsibilities but for one small moment in time, LBC allowed us to simply be Mr and Mrs Incognito... we will forever be grateful for the strenghthening of our marriage and commitment to each other we regained by disconnecting "the Grid" for a few short days and just being us...
Mike, Keisha, Miss Patsy, Pablo, Top Shelf, Asmar, Piggie, O'Shane, Anthony, Boots, the other guests during our stay and every one of the good people that work every day to keep Little Bay special, thank you...we miss you already and will see you soon, to see our Cabin by the Sea...
blessings and good vibes
The Incognito's of OBX, NC and Jupiter, FL

2 Thank JLFW47
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Yo Mike what a gwan! Had a great time at Little Bay. Will be back soon. Everything's IRIE at Little Bay. If you are considering Little Bay as a vacation spot - you should go! I can't recommend it highly enough. Mike and his wife take care of you. The food is good, the vibe is good, the staff is awesome. Loved my trip to Little Bay Cabins.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank AndrewJA
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beware, this place is not a quaint, charming, off-the-beaten path town where you have unique eateries nearby and charming locals. you are in the middle of nowhere, 10-15 miles from a main road, with no access to phones, internet or public transportation. Believe the negative reviews...There are several allusions to splendor and serenity that unfortunately do not exist at LBC. they purport this place is a serene island paradise. you pretty much pay for your own real life Survivor experience, trapped in a remote town with no communication or transportation abilities.

PRO's
Oceanside cabins - the beach is literally steps away
Big Cave "tour" - bats galore
Late Night Crab Roundup - it is what it sounds like
Pablo the driver - all around good guy who sympathizes with guests
Other Guests - there is nothing to do at night so make friends with your neighbors, you're all stuck there together.

CON's
the “three restaurants” Catch A Fire Grill, Mama’s Kitchen and Leanback Lounge are all the same 7 table palapa, not 3 separate eateries. no menu and no choices at a whopping $50 per person for 3 meals a day plus 17.5% tax. **tip** find local Chef Wayne and arrange some meals. with 24 hrs notice, he'll make you anything for $10 a plate. also bring chips, snack bars or other dry goods as the prices here are ridiculous and there are no other local options.

transportation: no public transport and since Mike the owner gets a cut from their drivers, the prices are double what they should be to Negril, Blue Hole, etc. **tip** arrange your excursions via tour companies in advance and work out the extra cost to have them pick you up instead. or work with Pablo first and let him negotiate with Mike/owners

privacy: you can hear everything everyone is saying or doing, so try to get a single cabin if possible. the staff also eavesdrops so don't be surprised if they ask you directly about something you might have complained about to your travel companion in private.

water/electricity: we went without water, without hot water and without electricity for hours almost daily.

bugs: the mosquitoes are vicious, bring lots of spray and use it religiously. there is no protection from them. also the many dogs and cats on property have fleas so its easy to have them come home with you. spray your clothes/luggage well too.

If you went on a Living Social voucher and had a similar experience, please tell them and ask for a refund. I did. Don't believe the hype! Buyer Beware...

Room Tip: Bring your own snacks. Negotiate your transportation prices with the driver first. Book excursions w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank JEN H
Online
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Little Bay Cabins is amazing! We took advantage of all Little Bay had to offer. The food was excellent - Chef Winston is so talented (see my photos), the Kayaking was fun ... I went snorkeling over a coral reef with a spear fisherman! Now that was a first for me! The owner Mike took us to the Blue Hole (that's a must do!) - and we went night crabbing which was interesting. What makes Little Bay stand out is the owners Mike and Keisha go out of their way to make sure you have a great time. No matter how many guests they have - they make sure to give you special attention. This is a very laid back resort, great for relaxing, and an ideal vacation spot. I have visited Little Bay more than once and I plan on returning (of course!) I highly recommend this little paradise in Jamaica! = )

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Little Bay
The Caves
The Caves
#4 of 84 in Negril

Been to Little Bay Cabins? Share your experiences!