“Wow!!!!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a very large group go to Satara, about 15 of us. The entire group was very happy with the service, food, and the most beautiful place I have ever been to eat and have drinks!!!
Thank you so much for a really great time Satara! See you again!

5  Thank 657IslandLVR
There are newer reviews for Satara

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have been living in Sint Maarten for 8 years and have seen Thai restaurants come and go, some good and some not. We had heard about the excellent food at Satara and had to try it for ourselves. We were not disappointed! The entire meal from start to finish came out fast and tasted fantastic. The property itself is lovely, with a garden and an outdoor bar. The main dining area is very upscale and tastefully decorated. The staff was very nice and service was great.
Everyone in our family of discriminating gourmets agreed, this place is 5 star!

6  Thank yakko
SataraSXM, Owner at Satara, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. We have only been opened for about 3 months now and are still ironing out all the kinks, but so far so good! I am glad you enjoyed your experience and we appreciate the business. Our intention when opening this restaurant was to provide a relaxing atmosphere with an enviornment for people to chill out and enjoy whoever they are dining with. Excellent food at a fair price along with great service is what we are working towards.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have eaten here on two occasions, once with my daughter and the other time with two of my employees. First, I'm not a big expert on Thai food, but both times the food was absolutely incredible. My duaghter, who is very familiar with Thai cuisine, observed that this was the best she had ever had, bar none. We didn't have any of the bad experiences with over spicing or over pricing mentioned in other reviews. Highly recommended here.

6  Thank john b
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times since it opened early 2012, it is good thai food- i order mine with no spice, and it was still a little spicy, but that is normal for thai food in my opinion.
This restaurant is across from dominos pizza and SPN sports bar/pinapple petes, but has its own parking and outdoor garden style seating, or indoor airconditioned seating. Its a suprising nice relaxed outdoor eating ambiance even though it is on a main road, thanks to the landscaping and high end umbrella covering and tiki style outdoor bar.

I would like to hear the managers response about service charge. Is the 15% service charge distributed to the servicers? Or does the house keep it? Please clear this up for your tripadvisor readers.

It is true that a service charge may be legally added to a bill provided that this is disclosed on the menu.

6  Thank Waterdave

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed your experience. We really appreciate the honesty! In response to the service charge: A 15% service charge is added to every bill which is common practice on the Island. We made the decision that ALL of the monies that are collected from this 15% service charge go directly to the employees. I feel that a tip of any kind should go to the employees, they work extremely hard and deserve every penny of it.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I seldom comment on restaurant reviews. People have their own experiences, sometimes good, sometimes bad. This time, however, I felt like I had to talk about my experience with Satara. First of all, I LOVE Thai food, I eat it all the time. I went to Satara last Sunday with two others for dinner. We were seated upstairs, inside. It was truly lovely. We looked over the menu, ordered 2 apps @ $9 each, 3 glasses of wine @ $4 each (which we thought was a great bargain), 2 pad thai orders @ $16 each and one pad kee mao at $19. We also had three bottles of water at $7 each. The pad thai was ordered mild, the pad kee mao was ordered hot (for me - I have an iron stomach).

The server was sweet and very efficient. The appetizers were wonderful and we were very impressed - until the entrees came. Both of my companions could not eat the pad thai because of the spice level. I tasted it, and on a scale of 1 to 5, I would have given it a 3. My food was a 5. We called our waitress over and she politely took both orders back to the kitchen. The manager came over and we explained that both entrees were too hot to eat. She insisted that she and the chef had tasted them and that "they were not spicy at all." She admitted that there had been complaints about the pad thai in the past, but that they had removed all the spice. We explained that the food was, indeed, too spicy. She asked if they wanted something else and both replied that they did not. By this time, we were souring on the restaurant because of the manager. We asked that the entrees be removed from our bill. The manager replied that they would not be removed because preparing them was a "cost to the restaurant." I insisted that the food was inedible to my companions due to the spice level and we would not be paying for them. Reluctantly she agreed.

When I finished my food (which was exquisite, by the way), we asked for the check. The bill, which did not include the two pad thai orders, was $115. We were overcharged by $45. I asked to see the menu to verify the prices. $4 wine was charged @ $9 per glass, $7 water was charged @ $8, $9 apps were charged @ $12, $19 entree was charged @ $25. I cannot be 100% sure, but I believe the manager prepared our bill. I complained to our server and she gave me an excuse about the menu prices being different upstairs than downstairs and gave me a corrected bill for $70. On top of the bill was a "tax" of 15% or $10.50. The waitress explained that the charge was a tax, not a gratuity.

At this point, I handed the waitress an appropriate tip and explained to her that the owners of the restaurant were taking advantage by billing what is essentially a service charge and not giving it to the wait staff. I told her to convey to the manager that I was paying $70 to the restaurant and not one dime more. I insisted that it is illegal in St. Maarten to charge a 15% tax on food. I said if the manager cared to call the police to settle the matter, I was fine with that as I had spent many years in St. Maarten and was sure that I was correct. The waitress spoke to the manager and came back with the message that $70 was acceptable "because she didn't want me to leave unhappy."

I know this is long, but I wanted you to have all the facts. Friends who live on island have reported the same treatment, right down to the too spicy pad thai. Draw your own conclusions about this establishment - I know I won't be back.

5  Thank dinabartlett
SataraSXM, Owner at Satara, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

I apologize in advance for my delay in responding to your review. This is my first time on TripAdvisor and for me it takes a little getting use to. I understand how you would be upset with the experience you had at the restuarant. I take our customers very seriously, and when things like this happen it concerns me deeply. I would welcome the oppurtunity to discuss this further in detail and I am available at anytime. Having just opened the restuarant 3 months ago, we have gone thru some major changes and hopefully the changes we have made will make the customer experience a very good one. Sometimes in business we can not control the actions of our employees and I can assure you that this was a onetime occurance and certainly was not intentional by the management or ownership in any way, shape or form. We have had tremondous success so far and hope that you could give us the oppurtunity to correct our mistakes. Please accept my apogies for this situation. I will continue to work on getting better processes put into place to avoid a situation like this in the future.

Sincerly