“Excellent Food, Extremely Bad Service”
Review of Bacchus

Bacchus
Ranked #89 of 269 Restaurants in Saint-Martin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Heavenly food, the poorest service possible. Open for lunch only, the food is truly outstanding and was prepared in a very timely manner. It took thirty to forty minutes to see the menu and order was taken somewhat timely "BUT" way over an hour to get our check. Even after saying I was ready to go home for a nap than standing up by our table, finally had to ask the owner to see if he could get our check. I know this French style attitude "BUT" two and half hours plus for lunch? Paris likes to do this to show their cafes are busy along with Marigot Marina's Restaurants but no reason other than neglect.
This was my husband's first time of not leaving a tip. Waiter was very attentive to some tables others totally ignore.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our fourth trip to St. Martin, and I been reading for years how great Bacchus was but had never gone. So I was excited that we (my husband, teenage daughter, and I) were finally going. However, I felt immediately ill at ease upon entering. The restaurant is very formal, especially considering its location and that it was lunch. And we all felt under-dressed, even though St. Martin is very casual. Also, even though the restaurant was half empty, the host hesitated to seat us as we did not have a reservation. After chatting with him in French for a minute, though, they found us a table. While our drink order was quickly taken and delivered (water and a glass of wine), service quickly went downhill, even though I ordered the most expensive item on the menu, the 49 euro special, a chicken stuffed with fois gras and topped with mushrooms. We had to ask for bread. And we waited for a very long time for our food (around an hour). While my daughter's smoked salmon salad was beautiful and very good, and my husband's shrimp salad was also good, my chicken was practically inedible. I have had better chicken dishes on airplanes. I would have immediately sent it back, but I was starving and was afraid it would take another hour to get something else. We were not the only table being ignored, by the way. Two Indian gentlemen, one of whom ran a very popular jewelry store on the Dutch side, and referred customers to Bacchus all the time, sat at the table next to us, and they received even worse service! Our theory: unless you order at least a bottle of wine or they know you (i.e., you are a regular), prepare to be ignored.

1  Thank JustJ33
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This restaurant is located in the middle of a wine store and deli in a non touristy location. However the food is fresh, well prepared and interesting. The service is attentive, helpful with children, and friendly. Their oysters have been consistently available fresh and high quality on multiple occasions over the past several years. They combine high quality ingredients in a high quality way (eg ravioli with black trumpet mushrooms and foie gras). The gazpacho was flavorful and well balanced with an unnecessary but tasty addition of crab. For desert you can raid the nearby pastry case which has some authentic French staples like opera cake, Paris Brest, and even a seasonally appropriate gallate de roi. All in all the only place that may be better on the island is Le cottage, but they are not open for lunch to the best of our knowledge.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Upon reading the exceptional reviews, my family and I decided to try Bacchus for lunch. It's a bit hard to find, hidden behind some industrial buildings in pretty much the middle of nowhere. We were seated and given our beverages quickly, but the rest of the meal was incredibly slow. The servers weren't too friendly and forgot about us almost completely once other tables started to fill up. I got the smoked salmon and fennel salad, which was tasty--just what I wanted for lunch. My companions ordered the shrimp and duck salad (also good, but not great) and the special chicken stuffed with fois gras, an incredible disappointment (the chicken was overcooked and the rest of the dish was sub-par--and way overpriced). The desserts and espresso looked appealing, but after being continually ignored, we decided to leave.

Was the food good? Yes. Was it amazing, to-die-for cuisine? No. Was it absolutely worth the price? Definitely not. There are tastier lunch options with more attentive service and better values to be had.

2  Thank TravelNarwhal
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's where I go every so often to stock up on my Nespresso supply.
The ambiance is great, the waiting sometimes may be long