“I love Hilma” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Simpson Bay, St. Maarten-St. Martin
“I love Hilma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Hilma has a 4 seat trailer-restaurant on airport road. She makes very good food - Johnnycake sandwiches, soup, fried chicken, daily special meals (often fish and salad), etc. - from 9 until about 3. She is a wonderful, sweet person, and has an 'interesting' cast of local and visiting characters every day. A great place to start the day or get some food to go.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank LarryEls

Toronto, Canada
“Local food at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

When I travel, I try to experience the local food, culture and people. This little food joint provided me with all the above. The food is all prepared and cooked by Hilma.

You need to get the salt fish with Johnny Cakes and don't forget to add Hilma's homemade hot sauce. It will blow your mind! The fried chicken is also good. I heard from other locals that Hilma's soups are just as great. Hilma makes a different soup every day.

We went there twice during our 1 week vacation for lunch (closes at 3 pm). Hilma is just so nice and you can spend an hour with her just chatting.

This food joint is a modest trailer in busy Simpson's Bay on Airport Road, right beside the RBC bank (about 20 yards from Paradise Car Rental).

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Nick S
Hudson, New Hampshire
“This place has sou!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

The opportunity that most vacationers miss when they come to St. Maarten is to experience true local flavors and history. Johnny Cakes and Salt fish has sustained this the Caribbean for centuries and no person serves them up better than Hilma. I would never miss having her soups. Oxtail, lambs tail, chicken…it doesn’t matter as they are all great. St. Marti is called “The Friendly Island.” Most residents are really not that friendly but Hilma is a gem!

Visited February 2014
Nashua, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very tasty home cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Hilmas is a place you should not miss. Always ask what her soup is, you might think you don't like oxtail soup but one taste of Hilmas & that will change your mind. Johnny cakes with several different choices, my husband liked the salted fish I had the pulled chicken, & her fried chicken, yum! Never ordered anything I haven't totally enjoyed.

Visited February 2014
Ames, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss the local flavor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Don't miss a chance to go to Hilma's Windsor Castle. It is a great local stop with good food and great people. We are so grateful that our friends introduced us to this delightful person, (Hilma), and her local cuisine. Her food is made fresh daily. I loved the Smoked salmon Johnny Cakes, and my husband enjoyed the Saltfish patty. Many other things we didn't try but we will when we go back.
Order a Dutch coffee!