“A rare treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rare - CLOSED

Rare
Cuisines: French, American, Japanese, Steakhouse, Sushi, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ontario, Canada
“A rare treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

We recently returned to St martin and had another great meal at Rare.
If you are a steak lover then this needs to be your 1st choice for dinner.
The service is fantastic and the food is even better.
Steaks range from $27 -$80 and are worth every penny.
They also have 50 wines under $50 and over 200 wines to choose from.
Even though it is a little pricey, you have to try the Kobe beef appt.
If it is a little too high end for your taste, then try the heineken and Hennesey French Onion soup! Amazing!

We will continie to go back year after year, it has become a vacation tradition.

Buffalo, NY
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

As many of you, I have read the reviews above and heard great things from others on the island regarding Rare. Even our first impression while walking through the door was encouraging. However, I think my wife and I ran into a new waitress that was not well supervised. The flow of the dinner was awful. We waited over 45 minutes for our first drink, which was 15 minutes AFTER we finished our salads. My $10 martini was one of the worst I have ever had, and HAD to send it back, only to get one that was almost as bad (BTW...I have never sent a drink back to the bartender) However, as advertised the food was wonderful. My bone in ribeye was a bit too fatty on the edges, but my wife's Filet was the best I have ever tasted. The sides were all fantastic! But, just as I thought things were turning around, the "hot" towels they bring after dinner were ice-cold. In addition, they were out of the only after-dinner drink I wanted. I know I sound picky, but when you are dropping $150-$250 for a meal, which is advertised as exiquiste, you expect near perfection. Despite this encounter, I would likely return as I think we were the victims of a new watress and bad luck.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

We've been to St. Maarten twice in the past 3 years and Rare is definitely in the top 3 in terms of nice restaurants in St. Maarten. Excellent food, great wine list, fun staff, strong cocktails. A good place to get dressed up and treat yourself. mmm!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Restaurant in SXM!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

Where to begin?

If you like top level steak house cuisine (chops, steaks, seafood) served in a stylish and trendy decor with top notch service, wine and all the bells and whistles of an American Prime beef location (like a Ruth's Chris, Bones, Chops, et. al), then check out Rare.

Best food in SXM in our opinion. Awesome service. Great wines. Cool atmosphere. Not inexpensive, but worth the splurge.

I wish I were there right now.

Enjoy yourselves.