“Excellent food in Sint Maarten” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rare - CLOSED

Rare
Cuisines: French, American, Japanese, Steakhouse, Sushi, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Trenton, New Jersey
“Excellent food in Sint Maarten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have been going to Sint Maarten for many years , but in last 3 have been going to RARE regularly. One Year just happen to walk in without a reservation and found the food excellent , the staff very friendly the owner is very present and friendly and welcoming, the bar is top notch, the ambiience is very soothing, sort of Zen. I plan on going every year from now on.

MA
“Good even the second time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went here on a previous visit (see my prior review) and it was good. This time, it was just as good, but not as interesting. We traveled with my neice and her friend and treated them to a steak dinner before they were heading back stateside. For appetizers we ordered the rare california roll which was very nice at $18, macaroni and cheese at $8 and fried calamari at $15. The mac and cheese was the biggest hit and we could have probably had two orders. I would recommend passing on the calamari as it was boring. Dinner for the girls was 5 oz filet mignons at $29 each, served with choice of starch, our girls choose the au gratin (similar to scalloped potatoes) and french fries. The fries were more of a hit than the au gratin. Hubby and I split a bone in cowgirl steak for 2 at $58 and it was served with two sides. I got the fried plantains (best ever, just the right crunchy outside with a warm sweet inside) and au gratin potatoes. We opted for a side of mushrooms which were $8, but when the waitress delivered them, she said they were compliments of the chef which we were very appreciative of. The steak was done perfectly and served with three types of steak sauce (peppercorn, chimichurri, and a homemade steak sauce). I really enjoyed the chimichurri and the steak sauce. I am not a dipper, especially when it comes to good steaks, but I couldn't help myself with these delicious sauces. I had a wonderful mojito and my hubby enjoyed two southern comfort manhattans. The girls opted for water, however it is sold by the glass bottle so two bottles were $14, which I thought was steep. We could not possibly get dessert, we were too full. They give you hot towels after your meal which was a nice treat. Oh, and I forgot about the cheese bread they serve with a basil oil. Yummy. Bill was $204, fed four nicely and fancily. $40 tip, average at $60 a person. Good value for what you get in a more formal dining restaurant. Cheeseburgers looked phenominal but they were $27 I think or maybe $20. But they looked worth it as I spied on the diners next to me. Classy place, I would come back happily.

2 Thank redheadMA
Detroit, Michigan
“Worth the Splurge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Rare based on the TripAdvisor reviews while we were on our honeymoon. Since we were looking for a good steak, we decided to try it. Rare was definitely pricey, but it certainly did not disappoint. We only honeymoon once, right?

My husband ordered the flat iron steak (he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy) and loved it! I had the Chicken Satay and it was incredibly delicious. Even the presentation was so unique - it came on a platter on skewers held upside-down!

We ordered the macaroni and cheese (also delicious) and I had also tried the spinach salad (mmmm). When we told them it was our honeymoon, they even gave us a scoop of ice cream with a sparkler in it. They had to roll us out of the restaurant when we were done.

The staff was very warm and welcoming. An older gentleman came over several times (Maybe the owner?) and greeted us, giving us warm honeymoon wishes. Our waitress was also very nice.

Only downside is that you need to come with lots of time. Our meal took quite awhile but was a very special honeymoon meal. Definitely worth the time investment.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rebekah M
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Beautiful,tasty,Romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We love this place we have gone here since they opened six years ago. The food has always been good an the place is romantic, the service is always friendly and the Owner is always their.

Alexandria, Virginia
“An Unexpected Pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Because this restaurant is right next to the casino, I was hesitant to try it, but what a mistake that would have been! The service and ambiance are impeccable, and the dining room is lovely. We had delicious beef entrees and wonderful Caesar salads. It is possible to order dinner from the adjacent Temptation Restaurant menu as well. Rare is very convenient to anyone in the Cupecoy Beach area. I was impressed with the quality of the food, and would love to go back.