“Excellent B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Landbeach B&B and Inns
Chorleywood Hertfordshire UK
“Excellent B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

One of the best b&bs I've stayed in. Warm welcome. The room and bathroom were spotless. A superb breakfast - you must try the 'froached' eggs. Everything was done to make my stay pleasurable. I have no hesitation in recommending SIlverwood Lodge,

Room Tip: Room 8 was great! Although it faced the A10, the noise level was minimal. There is no lift (but I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

On our stay to the Silverwood Lodge, we had a more average experience than the other reviews on here might suggest.

When we first checked in, we were shown to our room, which on first impressions was nice enough, i.e. the bathroom was nice, with good amenities, and the room was clean enough, although there were a couple of spiders in various corners of the room, which looked as if they had been there for a while, based on the web they were sitting in. The person showing us around was friendly, and welcoming.

A good point of the Lodge, is that the rooms didn't rely on one entrance, with most rooms having their own entrance or shared porch, meaning you don't have to worry too much about the time you get in.

Breakfast was included in the price, but don't expect too much food if you only ask for two items as we were literally brought one of each thing that we asked for, which was a shame because the food was actually pretty nice. For example, I ordered bacon and sausages, and was just given one rasher, and one sausage, when other diners who had asked for six or seven items were being given plates overflowing with food. Whilst I appreciate that I did only ask for two items, it didn't make sense just to be given one of each item, and came across as being pretty tight seeing as breakfast was included. It's worth mentioning that there was a variety of cereals, and limited fruit, but we didn't fancy any of this as we had our hearts set on a nice cooked breakfast. We were both hungry half an hour later, and wasn't a great start to the day, so our tip for any one going here, would be to ask for as much breakfast as you can!

Also, we were only given a pot of tea between us, which provided a small cup each, and wasn't refilled whilst we were eating, meaning we had to go back to our room and make another cup of tea, which again isn't really something we should have to do!

One final complaint was that our room was directly linked (via a locked door) to the breakfast room. Whilst this is okay at night, come the morning, we were woken up by people on the other side of the door talking, and eating their breakfast (we could hear their cutlery clinking against their plates) which isn't great, especially as you can't really talk to one another properly, as you know that you are audible to anyone on the other side of the door, as they were audible to us. Looking back at other reviews, it seems like we are not the only people to have issue with this. I did notice that a comment left by a member of staff, said that this was for convenience for long stays. However, I would like to counter this by mentioning that we were told not to use the door at breakfast time as we would bump into other people eating their breakfast. If we were told about this linking door when we booked the room, we would definitely asked for another room, or gone elsewhere, as I think many others would do.

In all, the staff were nice and offered a lot of flexibility, when it came to check in/out and times we could come to breakfast, but sadly this didn't save the overall experience was very average, and based on the issues above, we will probably try somewhere different next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Our room was number five, so be aware if you're given this, that the room will be linked directl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SirWiggum
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I arrived on Friday with my parents, and was warmly welcomed. We were given our own front door key so that the arrival of my sister late that night was not a problem. Our rooms were comfortable and clean, and nothing seemed too much trouble for the hosts. Having an iron for guests to use was an unexpected bonus, especially as we were visiting for a family wedding. It was lovely to know after the wedding that we were returning to a homely and comfortable place for the night. The breakfasts were delicious, with a large choice too.
This time I came with my parents, but would be very happy to come another time with my Junior School aged children too, as everything seemed to be so easy and convenient. A great place to have found for the weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Got a lovely welcome on Saturday and the advice on parking etc. and a phone call the day before to say we could check in early. Which was perfect as we were going to a wedding and after a 250 mile journey on hottest day of the year the chance to shower and change was fab. The loan of the Flip flops on Sunday morning was much appreciated. We really enjoyed our stay and the welcome that you gave us, we will certainly be recommending you to family and friends. in fact we already have.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very happy. Nice position. Clean and comfortable. Nice breakfast. Being on a main road didn't bother as room was very soundproof. Reasonably priced. Easy to get to city while out of the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed June 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

For a year we have tried to find suitable accommodation in and around Cambridge. By suitable I mean a place where I would feel safe to stay alone whilst my husband had a long stay in Addenbooks hospital. We stayed in some questionable hotels, b&b's claiming to be 4 star and 5 star. When this 3 star b&b was recommended I was at my whits end. I wish I had found this place sooner.

Paul made me feel so welcome and I felt so safe, I knew that if there was anything I needed I only had to ask. I am sure he waited for me to return each night before he left! Nothing is too much trouble for him. I was not sure how long I would be stopping so he allocated the room to me indefinitely, other places I had tried would not even consider my booking without set dates, this is what I mean by above and beyond. Members of our family also came to stay here and Paul arranged for us to have rooms close to each other. When my husband came out of hospital Paul asked us to let him know of anything he wanted for breakfast so he could get it in. We used the kitchen and sitting room freely, it was a home from home for us. Mark was as friendly and accommodating. So as far as service goes you would be hard pushed to beet this this kind of service.

The Bedroom and en-suit were clean and very comfortable allowing for a perfect nights sleep. I was in a room close to the main room and I thought this would be an issue as I live in a quiet cul-de-sac. I can honestly say I was not at all troubled by the road at all.

The location is ideal for visiting Cambridge and surrounding villages such as Ely. Paul is only too happy to tell you how to get where your going using local knowledge to avoid potential traffic.

Everyone raves about the breakfast so I can only echo their comments, cooked to perfection, whichever chef is in the kitchen, I have to say Paul steams his free range eggs a little better than Mark ;).

I have stopped in 4 star accommodation in Cambridge that does not come close to this 3 star b&b, I do not understand the star rating but this is 5 star service at 3 star prices.

I want to be honest in this review and as such I think I should mention the bits I liked least to give you a good balance. I genuinely suffer from alektorophobia so was a little nervous when venturing out to the car in case one of the chickens got too close. My grandson however loved them!

I will never stay anywhere else in Cambridge! You just have to look at the reviews to know how good this place is. If your anything like me you will read the bad reviews first, this b&b has 1. The owners do not live on sight that is a fact, it is not an issue as my experience tells me they are back at the drop of a hat if you need them. During my long stay I never found Paul to be anything other than a perfect host. You should not let this review put you off visiting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Melanie H
dor41
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on Saturday evening, after a less than average meal in the Bollywood spice, we returned exhausted to our room, no 1, love the fact that the door takes you straight into the garden. ( we smoke) the room itself was adequate, beds comfy and fresh, however there was a damp smell, I think it was the bathroom ceiling, it was a little mouldy. Maybe an air freshener would help?The water is very hot and the shower lovely, so I think that's where the damp smell came from. The main problem was a family in the room above, the floorboards squeaked and they were backwards and forwards doing god knows what for over two hours. When I finally got to sleep, it was past midnight. I guess this cant really be helped but it would put me off staying there again. Breakfast was amazing, however my husband ordered beans which he didn't receive. Eggs were fantastic, we saw hens in the garden so I'm thinking it was down to those lovely birds. Mark is very polite and friendly and made us very welcome. We enjoyed our stay, apart from the noisy people above.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landbeach
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#14 of 36 in Cambridge
Premier Inn Cambridge (A14, J32) Hotel
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Silverwood Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!