“Lovely BnB in handy location.”

Silverwood Lodge Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Landbeach B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Lovely BnB in handy location.”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked this bnb after reading lots of previous positive reviews and we were not disappointed. We stayed for 3 nights and it was perfectly located for us as we were attending the Duxford Airshow and on a main road so we could find it easily. The main road is busy, so light sleepers might find it a little noisy, but it wasn't a problem for us. The room was spacious and the bathroom looked like it was brand new with great hot water and pressure. We enjoyed the freshly cooked breakfast each morning and found all the staff very pleasant and helpful. There is an Indian restaurant across the road and the food was excellent , and a village not far with other places to eat and drink as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Yorkshire
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at silverwood lodge for two nights.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. We were told we could use the kitchen facilities to cook a meal or make a cuppa,even though we didn't use this facility,it was nice to be offered.
Our room (3) was ideal, we had entry direct to the room from the car park (which has ample safe parking). The room was clean,the bedding crisp and fresh.The decor was in need of some slight remedial repairs,but alas still clean. We had a super power shower in a larger than average cubicle. The toilet pan was a bit cramped (cross corners )but we managed ok.
Well breakfast was super,as stated eggs from there own chickens,fresh fruit ,cerial,couldn't ask for more.
As commented by other guest reviews the road is a bit noisey,but so what ,you have easy access for touring/sightseeing,so no problem to us.
All in all a lovely B & B. We would certainly stay again.
Also the park and ride into cambridge is minutes away,and i would definatly recommend using it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YorkshireKate
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have been visiting the Cambridgeshire area for the past 12 weeks in connection with my work and was lucky enough to find this guest house on my 4th vist .
Since then " I wouldnt stay anywhere else"
Situated about 4/5 mile from the centre of Cambridge on the A10 going north and within a mile from the "park and ride facility" its in an ideal location for visting or touring the area.
The guest house is a newly decorated and furnished facility with 10 letting rooms plus a dining room,kitchen and residents lounge - all presented to a high standard and maintained clean and very presentable to a high standard.
The facillity has safe car parking ( but not under the big willow tree - Paul the manager will explain) and has a large rear garden with furnishings to sit out in to chill out if required.
Local to the guest house are a number of villages with the opportunity to enjoy country pub ambience and catering.
The showers are brillient and as a bonus guest are allowed the use of the kitchen and microwave to "eat in" if required
Paul - the managert and his son Mark are considerate, helpful and provide a memorable full english breakfast using fresh eggs from the resident hen coup.
All I can add is - enjoy your visit and I hope you your stay dosent prevent me from returning
Fred

Room Tip: All rooms are good but rooms 2,3,4 and 5 are ground floor ( room 2 is single)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fredmagee6
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We usually rely 100% on Tripadvisor reviews but were very disappointed with our stay at Silverwood Lodge. The room we were given was through a door directly off the breakfast room and although the room was generally clean, one of the spare pillows had blood stains on it! We were also surprised that the owner did not live on site. This was an issue when the fire alarm started beeping at midnight for two hours due to a low battery. When I called the emergency number to explain the situation, the owner said that he was in Cambridge and asked for us to fix it, without any apology. After I persisted, the owner then arranged for his son to come round but there was no sense of apology or customer service by the owner (unlike his son who was very courteous). Unfortunately, the problem was not fixed and in the end we had to remove the battery from the alarm at 2am. This lack of customer care was repeated again at breakfast when we asked for a late checkout, having previously asked on arrival, the day before. We were spoken to with a lack of courtesy, even when we told the owner that we had been awake for 2 hours in the night. There was no apology and we were told that he could not help it if the battery ran out of juice and started beeping and we should have checked the terms and conditions regarding check-out times. In the end, he did agree to let us have the room until lunchtime, as we had a wedding, but it was done begrudgingly. Then, on leaving Silverwood, we thanked the owner and he didn't even reply or thank us for staying. We found this very strange and rather rude. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Archimboldo1
Jasmine061, Manager at Silverwood Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
I would like to respond to these comments:
The room you were given did indeed have a door directly into the breakfast room but this was not the official entrance to the room. There is another door to a porch which is the correct door to use. We sometimes allow guests to use the doors to the breakfast room as a shortcut if they like. All guests staying in that room appreciate it.
When the smoke alarm started beeping and you called our son who was covering for us as we were out celebrating my birthday, he asked you what room you were in; you responded, Room 3. When he asked you if you were sure you said Yes. When he came over he went all around the guest house to check as Room 3 does not have a smoke alarm outside as it has a door directly onto the garden. You were in fact in room 5 so he was baffled. This is why you had to remove the battery yourselves; room 5 is in a completely different part of the building to room 3. As he could not find the beeping alarm he went home.
A late check out is not always possible for 2 reasons; we have to get the room ready for the next guests who have booked and paid for the room for that night and the maid who cleans the rooms can't hang around to wait for you to check out. So we had to service the room ourselves. We often allow late check outs when guests ask us when they book. Then we can arrange for the cleaner to come in later in advance.
I have to say I am suprised that My husband was grumpy as he is always cheerful and more than helpful and accommodating. Look at our previous reviews; he has often driven guests to weddings or work interviews free of charge or cooked breakfast for guests who come down an hour late.
He must have been having a bad day. Although I am not excusing him as we have to keep cheerful and professional for our guests.
Out of thousands of guests we have looked after, you are the ONLY complaint we have had.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but we truly believe that if you had not been woken in the night by the alarm you would not have had cause for complaint.
We also notice that you did not have anything positive to say like how comfy the bed was, how large and clean the room was and how great the shower was. Things sometimes go wrong but only focusing on the negative is very unfair and vindictive.
Take a look again at our other reviews.
LOUGHTON ESSEX
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I want to start by saying that i reviewed this guest house with the Travel republic and for some reason they reported that I rated this as Average5/10 ( error of course) I would give this hotel 10/10 please read ....

This was fantastic find . I will most definitely be staying there again . Its lovely bed and breakfast clean , fresh, airy and bright bedroom, great shower and spotless just as the advert says its definitely a 4*. I am a very fussy person when it comes to staying away from home as I like all my niceties ( a bit spoilt really) . The owner of this lodge has certainly done his/her research and there was everything to hand that I needed and this is a rarity ( well done) . Even down to the tea and coffee facilities in the room there were plenty of sachets of coffee, tea bags , milk and sugar usually the big hotels only leave you enough for one cup but not here.

The staff were very friendly and I was very impressed with the service from the young man( didn't get his name ) who greeted us on arrival. He was polite, friendly and helpful. He also cooked us a great breakfast with the help of another young male ( possibly his young brother ) and he was equally as nice ( thanks). They were pretty amazing guys I should take my boys there for a day they would put them to shame. This was a very relaxed place and I liked it. I have nothing negative to say about the lodge at all .

The lodge is about 5 miles from Cambridge so you would need a car as its a bit expensive to get into the centre ( £ 14 in a cab one way ) I understand there is a bus service but I do not know how good it is . We were going to a wedding reception so i didn't want to mess about on buses. We had a car so decided to use it and it only took us about 10/15 min to reach the centre. However it was still worth staying there as the price for the room is very reasonable in comparison to the hotels in town and you get a great service . The lodge has a very pretty garden area suitable for kiddies and they would love all the hens and I think I also noticed a play area but I'm not to sure about this but it looked very child friendly. There were also plenty of parking spaces.
The lodge has plenty of advertising leaflets for the guest re the local area and the city centre

The village in the surrounding area ( water beach) was also very nice. We found a pub called the Bridge not far from the lodge and it was very nice . The staff were very welcoming and friendly, he food was good and the price was very reasonable too. Oh and not forgetting the portions were very big try the steak burger its fab . The pub is situated by a river and there were plenty of tables to sit outside . If you have little ones they will be happy and busy feeding the ducks.
I will finish now and once again thank you for a memorable stay and we will be back soon and I hope to have room 9 again - well done !

Caroline Ali & Bill Turner
“Top Tip: The bridge pub as mentioned above

Room Tip: I stayed in room 9 and it was lovely but i am sure all of the rooms will be good
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had a great stay at silverwood, the room was very clean and we felt at home. good bathroom etc. we'd been to a wedding and were pretty hungover, missed breakfast by over an hour and the owner still laid out a great breakfast, coffee and great scrambled eggs (from their own chickens), single handedly rescuing my sunday - Bravo sir!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Lovely new bnb with super friendly and helpful owner, excellent breakfast with healthy steamed eggs from the chickens in the yard! comfy bed great value, only slight annoyance was that our particular room was Pretty close to the main road so was a little loud. Good distance away from cambridge so you could explore surrounds but you would obviously need a car. Good value stay

• Stayed May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landbeach
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park
Home from Home
Home from Home
#19 of 121 in Cambridge

Been to Silverwood Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!