“Disappointing and needs to seriously improve level of customer care..”

Silverwood Lodge Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Landbeach B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We usually rely 100% on Tripadvisor reviews but were very disappointed with our stay at Silverwood Lodge. The room we were given was through a door directly off the breakfast room and although the room was generally clean, one of the spare pillows had blood stains on it! We were also surprised that the owner did not live on site. This was an issue when the fire alarm started beeping at midnight for two hours due to a low battery. When I called the emergency number to explain the situation, the owner said that he was in Cambridge and asked for us to fix it, without any apology. After I persisted, the owner then arranged for his son to come round but there was no sense of apology or customer service by the owner (unlike his son who was very courteous). Unfortunately, the problem was not fixed and in the end we had to remove the battery from the alarm at 2am. This lack of customer care was repeated again at breakfast when we asked for a late checkout, having previously asked on arrival, the day before. We were spoken to with a lack of courtesy, even when we told the owner that we had been awake for 2 hours in the night. There was no apology and we were told that he could not help it if the battery ran out of juice and started beeping and we should have checked the terms and conditions regarding check-out times. In the end, he did agree to let us have the room until lunchtime, as we had a wedding, but it was done begrudgingly. Then, on leaving Silverwood, we thanked the owner and he didn't even reply or thank us for staying. We found this very strange and rather rude. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Archimboldo1
Jasmine061, Manager at Silverwood Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

I would like to respond to these comments:
The room you were given did indeed have a door directly into the breakfast room but this was not the official entrance to the room. There is another door to a porch which is the correct door to use. We sometimes allow guests to use the doors to the breakfast room as a shortcut if they like. All guests staying in that room appreciate it.
When the smoke alarm started beeping and you called our son who was covering for us as we were out celebrating my birthday, he asked you what room you were in; you responded, Room 3. When he asked you if you were sure you said Yes. When he came over he went all around the guest house to check as Room 3 does not have a smoke alarm outside as it has a door directly onto the garden. You were in fact in room 5 so he was baffled. This is why you had to remove the battery yourselves; room 5 is in a completely different part of the building to room 3. As he could not find the beeping alarm he went home.
A late check out is not always possible for 2 reasons; we have to get the room ready for the next guests who have booked and paid for the room for that night and the maid who cleans the rooms can't hang around to wait for you to check out. So we had to service the room ourselves. We often allow late check outs when guests ask us when they book. Then we can arrange for the cleaner to come in later in advance.
I have to say I am suprised that My husband was grumpy as he is always cheerful and more than helpful and accommodating. Look at our previous reviews; he has often driven guests to weddings or work interviews free of charge or cooked breakfast for guests who come down an hour late.
He must have been having a bad day. Although I am not excusing him as we have to keep cheerful and professional for our guests.
Out of thousands of guests we have looked after, you are the ONLY complaint we have had.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but we truly believe that if you had not been woken in the night by the alarm you would not have had cause for complaint.
We also notice that you did not have anything positive to say like how comfy the bed was, how large and clean the room was and how great the shower was. Things sometimes go wrong but only focusing on the negative is very unfair and vindictive.
Take a look again at our other reviews.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

I want to start by saying that i reviewed this guest house with the Travel republic and for some reason they reported that I rated this as Average5/10 ( error of course) I would give this hotel 10/10 please read ....

This was fantastic find . I will most definitely be staying there again . Its lovely bed and breakfast clean , fresh, airy and bright bedroom, great shower and spotless just as the advert says its definitely a 4*. I am a very fussy person when it comes to staying away from home as I like all my niceties ( a bit spoilt really) . The owner of this lodge has certainly done his/her research and there was everything to hand that I needed and this is a rarity ( well done) . Even down to the tea and coffee facilities in the room there were plenty of sachets of coffee, tea bags , milk and sugar usually the big hotels only leave you enough for one cup but not here.

The staff were very friendly and I was very impressed with the service from the young man( didn't get his name ) who greeted us on arrival. He was polite, friendly and helpful. He also cooked us a great breakfast with the help of another young male ( possibly his young brother ) and he was equally as nice ( thanks). They were pretty amazing guys I should take my boys there for a day they would put them to shame. This was a very relaxed place and I liked it. I have nothing negative to say about the lodge at all .

The lodge is about 5 miles from Cambridge so you would need a car as its a bit expensive to get into the centre ( £ 14 in a cab one way ) I understand there is a bus service but I do not know how good it is . We were going to a wedding reception so i didn't want to mess about on buses. We had a car so decided to use it and it only took us about 10/15 min to reach the centre. However it was still worth staying there as the price for the room is very reasonable in comparison to the hotels in town and you get a great service . The lodge has a very pretty garden area suitable for kiddies and they would love all the hens and I think I also noticed a play area but I'm not to sure about this but it looked very child friendly. There were also plenty of parking spaces.
The lodge has plenty of advertising leaflets for the guest re the local area and the city centre

The village in the surrounding area ( water beach) was also very nice. We found a pub called the Bridge not far from the lodge and it was very nice . The staff were very welcoming and friendly, he food was good and the price was very reasonable too. Oh and not forgetting the portions were very big try the steak burger its fab . The pub is situated by a river and there were plenty of tables to sit outside . If you have little ones they will be happy and busy feeding the ducks.
I will finish now and once again thank you for a memorable stay and we will be back soon and I hope to have room 9 again - well done !

Caroline Ali & Bill Turner
“Top Tip: The bridge pub as mentioned above

Room Tip: I stayed in room 9 and it was lovely but i am sure all of the rooms will be good
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had a great stay at silverwood, the room was very clean and we felt at home. good bathroom etc. we'd been to a wedding and were pretty hungover, missed breakfast by over an hour and the owner still laid out a great breakfast, coffee and great scrambled eggs (from their own chickens), single handedly rescuing my sunday - Bravo sir!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Lovely new bnb with super friendly and helpful owner, excellent breakfast with healthy steamed eggs from the chickens in the yard! comfy bed great value, only slight annoyance was that our particular room was Pretty close to the main road so was a little loud. Good distance away from cambridge so you could explore surrounds but you would obviously need a car. Good value stay

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 8, 2011

After landing at Heathrow and driving to Cambridge, this was a fantastic way to start our holiday. The room was very nice, if a little small, and very clean. Breakfast was awesome! And a very friendly place, and lovely little villages to walk through. We'd definitely return, and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Wonderful hosts. Clean and modern decor. Roomy. Great bathroom (shower). Comfortable. Wonderful breakfast. (A little highway noise from the A10.) Great location: near park and ride to Cambridge; and exploring East Anglia. Great pubs nearby for excellent dinners.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Lovely large room in a quiet B+B led to a very relaxing weekend. The owner was very helpful and attentive, the room was excellent and the breakfast was extremely tasty! We were 5 miles/15 mins from Cambridge itself, where there was plenty of parking when we needed it, a taxi back on an evening was about £15. Would definitely visit again - thank you!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landbeach
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
Rectory Farm
Rectory Farm
#1 of 3 in Coton

Been to Silverwood Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!