“Transport this place to an idyllic setting and it may get 5 stars”
Review of Duke Street Cafe

Duke Street Cafe
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Newlyn
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Come visit us at Duke Street and enjoy a warm welcome, good coffee, breakfasts, lunches or indulge in some homemade afternoon cakes.
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Seems everything gets 5 stars these days...or 1 star. Well our experience was how would you say, more mediocre. It is true that you get large portions but that in itself is not a reason for 5 stars. The food took a long time to be served which again is no reason for 5 stars. If you have to sit outside you are overlooking a busy little car park and the refuse bins...5 stars err no. Those same tables looked as though they hadn't been cleaned all day never mind since the last person eat there, again not 5 stars. Prices £20 for two "sandwiches" and two cups of tea....definitely not 5 stars.

2  Thank michaeljohnlee3
cafegirlNewlyn, Owner at Duke Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

We felt it was right to respond to this review. The location of our cafe is something we cannot help. We didn't build it, nor can we relocate the council car park or the Co-Op's bins. Not every cafe in Cornwall has a sea view, we try very hard to make the outside and inside as nice as possible. Customers are always told, when it is busy, if there will be a wait for the food and you can decide not to place an order. The sandwiches (no inverted commas needed, they are actual sandwiches) range from £3 to £5.50 and a 4 cup pot of tea is £1.50. We received the top rating from our health and hygiene assessment, the cafe is extremely clean. We are very proud of our many 5 star reviews and we shouldn't be made to feel bad about them. Many thanks.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed everything about Duke Street. The staff are friendly and very attractive. The food is flavoursome and in a healthy portion size. The cafe is clean and spacious. A hidden gem

1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Staff very rude. They couldn't even be bothered to tell me what salads they had when I asked. I was Just told to read the menu. The place was empty, that should have been a warning. I most certainly won't be visiting this cafe again.

4  Thank David T
cafegirlNewlyn, Owner at Duke Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

We are very disappointed to see this review and we believe it to be fictitious. This does unfortunately happen to all businesses on this site. As is evident from all our reviews, what is described simply would not have happened. This review has been reported.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I never expected a stay in a small fishing port in West Cornwall to be a source of such wonderful calorie bursting delicious treats. In addition to being impressed by fabulous fish dinners at the Tolcarne Inn I could take the dogs with me and enjoy superb bacon and eggs, glorious soups, and giant sandwiches of fresh crab etc when I wanted breakfast or lunch. In June they were only open 10am to 3pm and the place seemed to be enjoyed by locals and visitors.

1  Thank SuzanneJHeaven
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Duke Street is a wonderful cafe, the owners are so friendly and the food is high quality with very generous portions...don't snack before you visit ! Sadly, since I moved out of Newlyn I can't get there as often as I did, but intend to visit again very soon. Lovely coffee and cakes too, and a good place to meet for a chat.

1  Thank Vozpop