“Watch the comings and goings in the harbour while you eat”
Review of The Smugglers

The Smugglers
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Newlyn
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were greeted by a very friendly host at the restaurant (it is attached to a B&B). We were seated overlooking the harbour as I had requested. I so thank TA for all the good advice. This was a seafood restaurant with most of their fish coming from the local fleet. DH chose Thai prawns with melon for starter followed by blackened cod served with new potatoes and peas. I had Newlyn scallops served with couscous followed by sea bass with mash, asparagus and artichokes. DH enjoyed both his dishes but felt the spiciness of both dishes masked the taste of the seafood. My scallops were cooked perfectly and tasted great; the couscous was cold which I found unusual as the scallops were hot. The sea bass was nicely cooked as was the asparagus. There was too much mash and although I tried the artichokes, I have never been a fan and these didn't change my opinion. Throughout the meal, we looked out at the comings and goings in the harbour which was very enjoyable.

1  Thank MarjofromBrissie
There are newer reviews for The Smugglers

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I visited this restaurant with two friends when visiting Cornwall to attend the Minack Theatre. It's in a super position overlooking Newlyn Harbour. We booked several months in advance and asked for a window table. The restaurant was quiet on this Wednesday evening in April but a friend who had been a few weeks earlier had trouble getting a table on a Saturday. The menu is mainly fish and it's wonderfully fresh. The scallops on a bed of couscous had a lovely dressing and were perfectly cooked. Portions were generous and the home made ice cream delicious. The service was friendly and excellent. Quality food in lovely surroundings. Book early at busy periods!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I live in Newlyn and have been 7-8 times, never been disappointed. Perhaps the higher end in terms of cost but well worth it for that extra detail.

Lots of fresh fish and local meat.

Cheesecake - WOW.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

small & cozy family restaurant, specialising in seafood with a view out over the Newlyn harbour.
We loved the food, but you should ask in advance if you want a table with a harbour view; otherwise they reserve them for their B&B guests.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had dinner here one Saturday evening. Excellent food and a gorgeous South African wine (wish I could remember which). Very nicely situated overlooking Newlyn harbour. Perhaps a little pricey but still good. Recommended.