St Johns House B&B
$203
Great National Hotel Ballina(Ballina)(Great Value!)
$135
$75
$71
  • Breakfast included
Official Site
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was an absolute delight. Richard and Liz were perfect hosts in their lovely home. We were warmed by a log stove on arrival and fresh tea and homemade cakes! They provided masses of fascinating locally history (and archaeology!) and guidance on where to eat in the evening, not to mention the great conversation. The room facilities covered every eventuality and the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast was generous and tasty with great preserves and accompaniments, again in front of a warming hearth. No need for lunch ...
Fuelled, we then explored the Rinn Duin peninsula on a sunny November morning - a walk which I count as one of the most interesting I've taken for a while - aided by the wellingtons loaned by our hosts!!
What a great experience - I hope we can repeat it for more than one night in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms have lovely views. We chose the front room because it had a bath!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Briskeby
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'd chosen St. John's House based on other TA reviews, and I couldn't have been more pleased. It was the perfect place to spend 4 nights while touring thru Ireland's Midlands. Hosts Richard and Liz even asked their friends to let Yoda The Yellow Lab stay a few days longer, just for me. Yoda took me on a walking tour through the beautiful ruins of Rinn Duin as well as St. John's Wood. And just to be with such a loving dog, when mine was far far away, was a joy.

It's perfect for getting away, and there's still so much to do right there on the peninsula.

I was the only guest for 3 of my 4 nights there, so I truly felt like family with Liz and Richard. Delicious raspberries from their garden each morning, over muesli and yogurt, next to a peat fire. Or creamy, rich local eggs. A trip out out to an island on Lough Ree. And of course the borrowed wellies to save my own boots from the muck. Plus just talking with them. I regret that I disappointed Richard by not taking his GPS and traipsing around the county to see even more historic sights. But I was just tired of traveling by then. Next time, Richard!

Give yourself a treat and stay for more than 1 night with Liz and Richard.

Room Tip: I think every room would be lovely. I was in the blue room, overlooking Lough Ree, and that was gorgeous each morning — especially if I was still in there, with the window open, when the cows and sheep traipsed past the stone wall.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I can endorse everything said in the other reviews. This is a wonderful peaceful location with a beautiful home, warm, thoughtful hosts, delicious food, comfortable rooms, fascinating history and a memorable walk around Rinn Duin peninsula. Not only is it worth a visit, it's worth a long detour to go there and as long a stay as you can manage.

Liz and Richard hosted five of us for three nights earlier this month. We were travelling with my wife's brother and his wife and an Irish friend. Part of the trip was to explore Irish family roots and we had discovered beforehand that my wife's family and Richard's shared common ancestors. Not only that but some of the ancestors were buried in the graveyard behind the house and the house itself had been home to various family members for centuries. Richard was well prepared for us (including catching lake perch for our first meal) with family pedigrees, photo albums and histories, uncovered gravestones, a visit with his cousin (the "family historian"), tour advice, all topped off by his great enthusiasm for exploring our common past. We managed to tire ourselves out each day but had Liz' delicious cooking and their warm hospitality to restore us each evening.

St. John's House is a remarkable place. Liz and Richard made it unforgettable for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for just one night but wish it had been longer. Richard was alone as Liz had gone to visit the grandchildren. He made us feel most welcome and gave us lots of excellent tips on where to visit locally and the best places to eat. Breakfast was really lovely and sharing a table with fellow guests is a great idea.
We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed at St. John's Wood for one night followed by a day-long work-related workshop. The owners Richard and Liz are very welcoming and very knowledgable of the heritage and history of the area. French press coffee and homemade cake and biscuits greeted me on arrival. Breakfast consisted of locally sourced ingredients and eggs from their own chickens, and homemade soda and sourdough bread. Lunch the next day - which was part of our workshop - was excellent with home made elderflower fizz, delicious soup, followed by Irish cheese sourced from Sheridans in Galway.

The house, a handsome 19th century farmhouse, situated on the shores of Lough Ree, and beside the ancient deserted walled town of Rindoon - is very pleasant. I was blown away by the deeply rich heritage of this area - something I'll never forget. Waking up to a view of swan, ducks and water hens pottering around on the shores of the lake was a brilliant way to start the day!

We did part of the Rinn Duin Walk which begins outside the house, bringing you to the archaeological sites and to the safe harbor on the shores of the lake.

Verdict: A very memorable 24 hours. Im looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business