“Was just okay”

Hugo's Coffee shop
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sit, Relax Enjoy, Hugo's is now open in Laurencekirk offering fresh food daily from early morning through till the early evening, freshly prepared food cooked and served as you like it under the direction of Mark & Linda
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been meaning to visit Hugos for quite a while and I decided to pop in for breakfast before heading to Aberdeen.
Upon arriving we were the only customers in for breakfast and the lady who greeted us was very nice and shown us to a table. It was very clean and well presented, love the way they decorated it, not keen on the tables and chairs but the rest of the cafe has a very cosy feel to it. Top marks.
I had a full breakfast with poached eggs and my partner a toasted bagel with cream cheese and a smoothie.
My breakfast was okay to under average. I seriously wanted to enjoy it but I couldn't. The poached egg was about a minute or so under cooked - the egg white still being gloopy and slime like. The sausages weren't from a proper local butcher, and if they were, change them. Very bland and had a cheap taste. Bacon was slightly under cooked again, the fat being rubbery (in fairness I was asked how I would like it cooked, but I didn't expect it to be like this). The grilled tomato had no seasoning at all. Toast was fine and so were the beans.
My partners bagel was nice, but the smoothie was bought in, innocent smoothies I think?
There was no check back on us either to see if everything was okay.
Overall I would give Hugos another chance, most definitely. I don't agree with the omfg review below but I have heard quite a few average reviews. They have a little gold mine here, all they need to do is sharpen up abit.
Visit Rosie's bakehouse in Brechin, they hit the nail on the head.
I would have given a good rating if given the option but I don't feel it's a very good level yet. Keep trying though - you'll get there!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dropped my son off in Laurencekirk for an appointment with little hope of finding anywhere decent to pass the time. (I can be a bit of a cafe snob ...) Tried one diner/cafe but had to leave as the owner seemed to want to read his paper instead. However further up the road found Hugo's. Lovely welcome from the girls. Had a coffee and great cake and really enjoyed the feel of the place. Decided to go back for lunch with my son and wasn't disappointed. Big bowl of lovely soup, nice bread. I wasn't really hungry after my cake but I ate the lot. My son had haggis and poached eggs and loved it. The other customers seemed really happy with their choices too. Totally unexpected and a real asset for the town,- please support it, we need more of this quality of locale in this part of the world. The owner has got the mix just right and I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stopped past for a spot of lunch and were pleasantly surprised.

We opted for our and a sandwich and it was tasty. You get exactly what you pay for, no frills, no extravagant food just good fayre.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

There used to be nothing and no where in Laurencekirk to go to, now we do have our own fab little coffee shop!.
I frequent Hugo's. regularly with my children and friends and it is just always a lovely experience.
The paminis are great value for money always fresh and full of filling unlike the road rollers ones you get everywhere else!
The previous comment is a little harsh!!
A panini is a toasted sandwich which can be made on any bread! It is the grilling on the machine that makes it a panini
You can also brush the bread with olive oil before hand
Everyone makes the odd mistake hardly a crime forgetting the onion!
I'm sure they will get over it
Keep up the great work Hugo's
Your locals love you

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I regularly go out for a meal with my 19 year old grandson, and this is one of his favourite places. The proprietors and staff are always friendly and attentive, and though it's not "haute cuisine", they try to find out exactly how you like whatever you're ordering to be cooked. The salads are more than just a bit of lettuce and a tomato, and the coffee is excellent. Finally, I know other places locally where you can pay far more for much less - always an important point when trying to fill a hungry teenager! Absolutely recommended.