“Not Bad”
Review of Hotel Milenio

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nampula
Hotel Milenio
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nampula
Reviewed July 4, 2012

If you're passing through Nampula, then this is the place to stay. There is a reasonable menu to choose from and the food isn't bad. The Rooms are modern, adequate and clean. Very adequate.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Justin L

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here while passing through town. It is centrally located, has all the comforts of home and makes a good break from the fairly basic conditions encountered elsewhere in the interior of Northern Mozambique.

Nice food in the restaurant and very clean modern rooms. It was a bit surreal staying in such comfort considering the general state of the city outside but it made for a good escape.

There is no bar in the hotel and I believe alcohol may be forbidden due to the religious beliefs of the owners but it is very close to several other establishments that have no such concerns.

The one complaint that I did have was that as the water is stored on the roof it was either scalding hot during the day or warm in the morning. The room we were staying in didnt seem to have cold water in the shower which was strange but a minor detail- the heavy duty airconditioner soon cooled me down. The price was a little outside my normal budget but worth it.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one that has cold water available?
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarmon79
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here for a week for work. The hotel itself is good enough and you'll probably have a nice stay. The big downside is that despite having routers on all of the floors, staff informed us that the connection is so poor that they stopped selling the data cards to use WiFi. This means that you have to sit in the lobby to use internet. Staff are also a bit overeager with wake up calls. The two days I used them--before I gave up--they called me 30 minutes and 15 minutes before the time I told them.

The restaurant in the hotel has really delicious Indian food, which is a plus. The rooms also have extra-large safes, which are big enough to lock a laptop. Having had my laptop stolen from my room once before in Mozambique, this was a big plus.

Like most hotels at this end of the price spectrum, the laundry prices were expensive. However, there is a laundry shop a few blocks down on the street parallel to the Milenio with good prices. It was called something like LS International.

This is probably the best place in town, and while not perfect, it is certainly a decent enough stay.

Room Tip: Avoid odd number rooms in the hallway 229-260. The small windows make them feel like a jail cell, an...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MrTravelsAround
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Wireless internet. Cold air conditioning. Central location.

A tad on the expensive side, but well worth it this time around.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Back in 2000, lodgings in Nampula used to be a problem, not anymore with the Hotel Milenio. This fairly priced hotel (3200 Mt) is now the favourite dwelling place of businessmen, NGO's employees and aid agencies workers.
Expansion of the facilities and room number is welcome as the region is developping quickly. The new pool in particular is a success. I appreciated the excellent inclusive breakfast served in the new wing.
Free wireless internet is only available in a few rooms (above the reception) otherwise guests are to surf in the lobby, but the service is often down. Alternatively, guests can buy a 1 hour connection time in the restaurant (40 Mt).
Reservation from abroad is a problem as no replies are sent to booking emails.
Some rooms are linked by locked doors, this can be a problem as soundproofing is bad.

Room Tip: the rooms above reception have wifi (101 - 104)
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We arrived in Nampula after a full day of travelling by tiny buses so the Hotel Milenio (also known as Hotel Millenium for the non Portugese speakers like us) was like heaven. A clean, air con room, complimentary water in the mini bar, great shower, a good restaurant and even a small gym. We slept well, had a good breakfast (included in the rate) and felt ready to take on the outside world again. Yes you are staying behind the wall to a very different world that is outside but for us it was just what was needed. It is expensive for what it is but so is all accommodation in Mozambique and so in that respect it is better value than many places.

Room Tip: Ours overlooked the pool and had a small balcony where you could also see the street
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had an extremely negative experience at Milenio. We had a booking for two rooms, which was confirmed two hours prior to arrival through a confirmation call I received from the hotel reception itself. When we got to the hotel it seemed there were some issues and the rooms were not available. Knowing this is not uncommon in the country, we patiently waited for one hour and eventually the receptionists informed us they had given out one of the rooms and only one room was left, recognizing their mistake. The problems arose when I asked to talk to the maneger/owner. I informed him about the situation and kindly asked for a solution. Without caring about us, he started humiliating his staff and threatening them that they would be punished like never before, with an arrogance I had never seen in my life. When I explained again I needed a solution for us and not a humiliation for his staff he kept shouting at the receptionists and told us "well just go find another hotel" (it was midnight). I had to fight to get them to find us 2 rooms elsewhere and to pay for the taxi. The owner actually refused to pay the 1 dollar taxi fee (owner of an eighty 100-dollar per night rooms hotel) and only after I threatened that I would report the issue in Maputo he agreed to have the hotel car take us. When I asked for a voucher or some kind of compensation to use in the future he just left laughing without even replying. Conclusion: stay at Lurio or Executivo instead, similar quality of rooms and price but you can be sure you're not giving your money to someone who only cares about your (and his) wallet and who treats their staff like slaves.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family