“Delicious !”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Delicious !”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were staying in a barn a few miles away (Llanwilcae Farm) and the owner recommended this pub and booked us a table. We loved it - the friendly welcome when we ordered drinks, shown to our table by the roaring fire. Some nibbles whilst we waited for our starters were very welcome and tasty. Our main meals (one steak and one fishcakes) were delicious and full of flavour.

Definitely will come again and will recommend to anyone staying in that area !

• Visited October 2013

Newport, United Kingdom
“A class act in mid Gwent...”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ate here again today and as ever it was an imaginative menu..... three super courses including a dessert which need the word "chocolate" three times in its descriptor. Naturally relaxed front of house staff and the coolness of Giles in the kitchen. Two gardeners at work on the garden areas speaks of attention to detail. A beautiful setting... a fine place to eat well and enjoy.....

• Visited September 2013
pontypool
“poor service and expensive”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hi we went to the raglan arms saturday the 14th of september , and we were given the menu's and did not see anyone to take the order for 40 minutes. When they eventually took our order they offered us two complimentary drinks which we accepted becouse of the poor service, however when we were presented with the bill they were on their and we had been charged! neat trick.

To be fair the starters were ok, but the main course was not enough to feed a baby! our summing up is : expensive and a little pub that thinks it is a michelin star restaurant with michelin star prices, but sadly without the food.

Take our advice and go elsewhere, as their is a lot better in the area and better value.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank tedbearpontypool
Usk, United Kingdom
“my favourite place to eat!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We love the ambience of the raglan arms, the excellent service consistantly provided by giles's excellent choice of staff, it is my favourite place to eat in the locallity.
The raglan arms is a high standard with lots of unique little touches while you wait your dining experience.
We have been using this as our local eatery since Giles first arrived and we recommend it very highly to all our guests at our nearby holiday cottages.
Keep up the good work ... See you all soon.

• Visited August 2013
Pontypool
“Consistently fantastic”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Last night I had a wonderful meal with family at The Raglan Arms in Llandenny; this was certainly no surprise as it was probably my seventh or eighth visit and the standard has always been consistently high.

The Raglan Arms offers pretty much everything you want out of a country pub - relaxed, rustic charm in a lovely setting, friendly service and above all else delicious food. All at very affordable prices - making it a perfect location whether you're part of the well-heeled, country set or out for a special occassion.

Service is relaxed but warm and friendly from the moment you arrive. The range of drinks at the bar is a bit limited but has everything you could want including a good draft ale (last night it was a UPA but it changes). More choice to be found on the wine list with a broad selection which only ever tops the £50 price point for a few champagnes and one magnum of red - the rest are more affordable with the majority happily sitting in the £20-£30 mark.

Some complimentary nibbles arrive to keep you busy in the small lounge area while you read the menu (honey roasted peanuts, chargrilled pita and some hummus - which, although very tasty, was slightly too stiff for my personal liking). Once ordered and seated at the table a canape of parmesan gougere (think savoury profiterole) with pickled cucumber was a nice touch. My three course meal was excellent, getting better by the course. I started with a pan fried haddock fillet served with the unctious meat picked from a pork rib, some chorizo sausage and oven roasted cherry tomato halves all held together in a sweet and sticky maple sauce - unusual but it worked well, particularly with the rib meat.

The main was a step up in goodness. Seared calves liver (cooked perfectly pink) on smooth mashed potato and spinach served with white pudding, the thinnest slivers of crispy, salty pancetta, pearl onions and a red wine reduction. The dish was also served with a tiny casserole of puy lentils - however, they lose a point here as this side dish didn't arrive at the table until we were already half way through our meal. That aside an absolutely fantastic plate of food but very rich and by the time I put down my knife and fork I felt defeated, unsure of whether I could manage a pudding.

In the spirit of adventure my wife and I decided to share a final course of egg custard tart with a morello cherry sorbet. So full was I by this point I was certain that I'd probably just have one mouthful and then call it a day - by the end I was fighting my wife for the last spoonful. It was gorgeous. The pastry was really thin with just the right amount of crispness and came topped with a really thick layer of impossibly light, set custard which had been lightly scented with rose syrup and punched up with a whack of nutmeg. However, the real star of the show was the morello cherry sorbet - stunning! Altogether - very good indeed. Incidentally, the pastry chef at The Raglan Arms seems to have set custard recipes mastered - on my first visit here a few years ago I had a Sauternes custard (served, if I remember correctly, with a cantucci biscuit and a glass of Vin Santo) which I still enthuse about to this day!

Rounding out the meal with coffee we were served with a plate of homemade chocolate truffles and some tiny, wafer thin gingerbread men. Food done - top marks!

To the business end of things - I must admit here that my comments on value come qualified as last night I did not pay (I was being treated) but from a once over of prices on the menu and wine list, and from previous experience, I think that it is pretty reasonable. A drink on arrival, three courses and half a bottle of house wine would set you back in the region of about £35 per head which I think is good value for the quality of food, service and lovely atmosphere.

There are a few details which are not quite right - no side plates for bread means crumbs everywhere; staff don't collect used glasses (or the unused water and wine glasses from the table setting) so by the end of the meal there were about 20 glasses strewn across our table (there were only four of us dining); waiting staff aren't that forthcoming asking if you need fresh drinks so you need to catch their eye if you're thirsty and waiting times between service and courses can sometimes be a bit lengthy.

Minor quibbles aside I would recommend (and have done so) The Raglan Arms to anyone in the area looking for an impeccable, well priced meal. Nearly all of the occassions I've visited have been up to a very high standard with only one busy Sunday lunch a year or two ago slipping just underneath their usual exellence. The menu is always a pleasure to read, rarely have I not struggled to choose between a number of very tempting dishes. I look forward to going again - I hope it won't be too long!

• Visited July 2013