“Gone Seriously Downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
Wellington, New Zealand
“Gone Seriously Downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place has really gone downhill in the last few years, so has the Crown down the road but loud tv, disinterested bar staff and very average beer don't make it a great night out. Ok if the weather is good enough to sit outside but otherwise I'd give it a miss.

The food was awful, they now have a soulless dining room where they have a carvery, the food is expensive and the portions small, but given the quality of the food that may be a blessing

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SMWelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Moray, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed for one night whilst walking the Pennine Way. When I arrived, I found the place soundly locked up. I wasn't able to ring them due to not having any mobile signal, so I circled the building and found a back door open. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to enter, but wasn't sure what else to do either! I could see that my baggage had been delivered and was sitting just inside the door. I opened the door and called out down the dark empty corridors... "Hello?"... no response. There was a CCTV camera on me, so I figured someone must know I was there! Going back outside I found an intercom button and pressed it. A brief alarm went off (!!!) then a man demanded to know who I was. I said I had a booking there. He came downstairs with a key to my room, carried my luggage upstairs for me, and told me to "Speak to the girl. The bar opens at 5:00pm" regarding breakfast and anything else I might require. This was okay - it's all part of the adventure!

I was given a twin room with shower ensuite which had very outdated and basic decor, but was clean, spacious, and good enough for what I needed it for - a good night's sleep before the next day's walk. When I returned after dinner (which I had eaten at the Crown up the road - quite good food there), the woman at the bar was friendly and welcoming and arranged a time for breakfast. I was able to access wifi in one of the bar rooms which was helpful. However, very unfortunately, I might give this hotel "the worst breakfast on the Pennine Way" award. It was very poor indeed. (Tip: the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe just up the road serves a far superior breakfast and it's not too dear either.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank fiona07

Travelers are raving about these Horton-in-Ribblesdale hotels

Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped off for a drink here to check out where to park and to possibly eat there once we had completed our 3 Peak Challenge the next day.
We have a dog and dogs were 'allowed' but only in certain unwelcoming parts of the pub. One of these areas was a small bar area where Sky Sports was being aired and there was no room to sit and relax, and another was a room where there was a pool table and we were in the way of the people playing pool and had to keep ducking out of the way. After considering eating there, we soon changed our mind and left. We were staying at a campsite 10 mins down the road next to the Helwith Bridge Inn, so went there instead where we found friendly bar staff, excellent food and dogs were not only allowed but welcomed.
To echo a previous review we found the management at the Golden Lion to only be interested in the locals and the 'tourists' to be a bit of an inconvenience, after all they do have the monopoly on the passing trade. We did go in there once we had completed our challenge the next day as we were exhausted and needed a drink and our car was parked there, but soon drank up and left again back to the Helwith Bridge. We did not stay in the Bunkhouse so cannot comment on that, and the car parking facility for the 3 Peaks is good whereby you put £2 in the honesty box and can park all day, which we did. Such a shame, it could be a great base for walkers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

A large group of us stayed at the bunk house which is situated behind the pub.

The room was a good size, with a decent amount of room for everyone.

We stayed here 2 nights so that we could get an early start for the Yorkshire three peaks. The facilities are up to standard, hot showers and quite clean too. Can't really fault the bunkhouse, it was ideal for what we needed it for.

We had a meal on the Friday night, which was school canteen food at best, and for £9 I'd expect better. I had a slice of lasagne, a few chips and a bit of salad. Hardly worth the money. The beer was just alright so we decided to get on the guiness, which was a lovely pint.

We decided to eat at the other pub in the village the following evening after the walk, and I have to say their food was better than the stuff served at the Golden Lion.

Overall you can't fault the accommodation, for £15 pppn. Ideal for the job, but I wouldn't eat there again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank AndyDurant
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

It is cheap, it is clean, but it is also in need of a refurb. Felt the staff were indifferent about customers (a point someone else also agreed upon - and he left to stay elsewhere) as it will always be 'easy money' for them....plenty of footfall in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
North East
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Having arrived for a 2 night stay on Friday in the Y3P bunkhouse, we found the accomodation great for all 30+ walkers in our group, it is basic accomodation and facilities but what do you expect from a bunkhouse? Clean, Hot showers, a bed, and a warm room (if a little too hot with 20 people to a room, could possibly benefit from better ventilation)

Having arrived late on the 12/04/2013 we dropped our bags at the dorm and then made our way over to the Goldon Lion, Well, the place could definitely benefit from some TLC, a lick of paint and so on but in all honesty, when you are with 30+ group of walkers and everyone is buzzing for the Y3P walk, you dont even notice the decor.

I didn't eat on the Friday night but i did however, spot the Steak and Chips on the menu board and on the Saturday evening (after the gruelling Y3P was completed) i wanted my steak. Just to confirm my decision i asked the bar worker, what she eats while at work? she replied with 'Steak or the Yorkshire pudding filled with beef'. On this advice i ordered my steak and home made chips, (medium rare). Compliments to the Chef, the steak was cooked to perfection and the home made chips were just what a battered and physically broken walker needed (even if the steak is a little overpriced £14.95). The wine and beer choices are not great and this was a little dissappoiting but to be honest i wasnt there for the drink. Having been impressed with the steak, i decided to pre order a cooked breakfast for the morning. I was advised that breakfast didnt start until 08:30 and i was a little surprised that breakfast was so late especially for walkers. (on the Saturday Morning we started the Y3P challenge at 06:00 so would have missed breakfast) But this was Sunday so the time of breakfast was no issue. The cooked breakfast arrived and i was in shock that my plate arrived with 1 egg, 1 rashon of bacon,1 sausage and 1 slice of toast!!! I passed on the mushroom and half a fried tomato. I was a little confused how i could have such a nice meal the night before and such a disappoiting breakfast. The breakfast is priced at £6.50 and does not yeild value for money.

Overall, i would stop there again but I would pass on the breakfast.

The location is is prime for walkers and especially the Y3P challenge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Camberley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Having drunk and eaten at The Crown 100m away which was average we thought we'd try the Golden Lion. We did our best to ignore the run down look of the place from the outside but the theme continued within. This place needs an imaginative new owner with some money to invest given the wonderful location. A moderately friendly barmaid was the only real plus, otherwise very limited real ale, rowdy crowd around the tv screen for the football and a side room with pool table. No smiles or chatter amongst the diners helped us decide against eating so cannot comment on this but there was the usual pub grub listed n the chalkboard. This may well be a pub that some of the hikers from the campsite will want to got to if they like sports bars, but if you're looking for something more traditional and representative of the Dales then go to The Crown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherpaP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
New Inn Hotel
#2 of 4 in Settle
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!