“It is what it is.”
Review of Golden Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Golden Lion Hotel
North East
“It is what it is.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Having arrived for a 2 night stay on Friday in the Y3P bunkhouse, we found the accomodation great for all 30+ walkers in our group, it is basic accomodation and facilities but what do you expect from a bunkhouse? Clean, Hot showers, a bed, and a warm room (if a little too hot with 20 people to a room, could possibly benefit from better ventilation)

Having arrived late on the 12/04/2013 we dropped our bags at the dorm and then made our way over to the Goldon Lion, Well, the place could definitely benefit from some TLC, a lick of paint and so on but in all honesty, when you are with 30+ group of walkers and everyone is buzzing for the Y3P walk, you dont even notice the decor.

I didn't eat on the Friday night but i did however, spot the Steak and Chips on the menu board and on the Saturday evening (after the gruelling Y3P was completed) i wanted my steak. Just to confirm my decision i asked the bar worker, what she eats while at work? she replied with 'Steak or the Yorkshire pudding filled with beef'. On this advice i ordered my steak and home made chips, (medium rare). Compliments to the Chef, the steak was cooked to perfection and the home made chips were just what a battered and physically broken walker needed (even if the steak is a little overpriced £14.95). The wine and beer choices are not great and this was a little dissappoiting but to be honest i wasnt there for the drink. Having been impressed with the steak, i decided to pre order a cooked breakfast for the morning. I was advised that breakfast didnt start until 08:30 and i was a little surprised that breakfast was so late especially for walkers. (on the Saturday Morning we started the Y3P challenge at 06:00 so would have missed breakfast) But this was Sunday so the time of breakfast was no issue. The cooked breakfast arrived and i was in shock that my plate arrived with 1 egg, 1 rashon of bacon,1 sausage and 1 slice of toast!!! I passed on the mushroom and half a fried tomato. I was a little confused how i could have such a nice meal the night before and such a disappoiting breakfast. The breakfast is priced at £6.50 and does not yeild value for money.

Overall, i would stop there again but I would pass on the breakfast.

The location is is prime for walkers and especially the Y3P challenge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Having drunk and eaten at The Crown 100m away which was average we thought we'd try the Golden Lion. We did our best to ignore the run down look of the place from the outside but the theme continued within. This place needs an imaginative new owner with some money to invest given the wonderful location. A moderately friendly barmaid was the only real plus, otherwise very limited real ale, rowdy crowd around the tv screen for the football and a side room with pool table. No smiles or chatter amongst the diners helped us decide against eating so cannot comment on this but there was the usual pub grub listed n the chalkboard. This may well be a pub that some of the hikers from the campsite will want to got to if they like sports bars, but if you're looking for something more traditional and representative of the Dales then go to The Crown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherpaP

Travelers are raving about these Horton-in-Ribblesdale hotels

Liverpool
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Basic accommodation and facilities, but perfect location if you're planning on doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. Food is decent and the beer is good but more importantly, the staff are friendly and approachable, and will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

Would book here again :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leweli
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here following Yorkshire 3 peaks and although the accommodation was basic it was clean and value for money ( 65 per night what can you expect ) but very relaxed and easy going staff, nice chef and nothing too much trouble at breakfast to accommodate a couple of extra guests from the crown who had a not so pleasant experience! We plan to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks again and would recommend this pub to stay good value for money.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank rainford1
England
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I bought a pint of Black Sheep and it was off; had a vinegary smell and taste. So I went back to the bar with it. The almost monosyllabic barman said he'd test it and walked through the hole in the wall to the bar in the other room.
I wondered if he was going to get some beer testing device!

He returned with a small glass which presumably had freshly pulled Black Sheep in it and he passed to one of the regulars. Of course - how would I know what the beer is meant to taste like - I was clearly a tourist! The regular said it was fine, but to his credit asked to taste the pint I had - after tasting it he said to the barman to pull me another (I'm not sure how it would have panned out if he had said it was fine... just given me my pint back after this guy had had a swig of it?!). The barman then explained that my pint was the end of the barrel - no apology though.

I asked the barman for a pint of Landlord instead, but he ignored me and came back from the other bar with another pint of black sheep (and still no apology).

Or perhaps he just went round the corner, waited a minute and came back with the same pint. Either way, the beer still tasted off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FrozenVeneer
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

stayed here on the 14th of july after completing the 3 peaks.Great food,great beer ,great breakfast and comfy rooms just what we needed after 9 hrs on the hills

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank anthony b
Norwich
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

After finishing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks - a yummy steak, 3 lovely black sheep and a typical pub.

No one minds you falling asleep lol

I really like it, the large dining room help the pub cope with the crowds but stay a real pub!

Like it

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matthew B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton-in-Ribblesdale
New Inn Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Top Farm Bed & Breakfast
Top Farm Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!