The Crown Hotel
  • Restaurant
Free cancellation until 05/31
$101
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $136/night.

The Craven Arms(Giggleswick)
$249
Hotels.com
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslamb henrybad reviewspiesthe ritzwrite a reviewreal firerest stopyorkshire peakscommon senselots of hot waterdouble roomcoal firespent two nightscomfortable roomshis wifegood home cooked foodkeep up the good work
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had a very nice evening at The Crown as a base for a good run round the 3 Peaks in the snow in January. It's a great location for just being able to walk 200m to the hotel from Horton train station and then be straight onto the Yorkshire 3 Peaks route. I received a warm welcome, good homemade food and had the best night's sleep in six months. The numerous notices are a bit bizarre, but taken in the spirit (and presumably because some people out of the hundreds who do the 3 Peaks think that they have a right to do anything) I'd very happily stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a classic stone-built Yorkshire Dales pub, run by a hearty and no-nonsense Yorkshire couple who provide a good welcome and good humour. Two bars, the larger scruffs bar being for walkers, cavers and other folk who like to get messy outdoors. Open fires in both. The room we stayed in between Xmas and New Year was large and cosy, with a bath (much needed after long walks) and comfy bed. Decent Yorkshire breakfast to set you up for the day. At £40pppn it's what you'd expect to pay in that area and decent value.

From a real ale viewpoint, they had 3 handpulls, with Black Sheep Bitter being the standard and the other two varying, and all were in stonking condition. The pub atmosphere was good, kept especially lively by the cavers from the next door Craven Potholing Club cottage, but with a good sprinkling of locals. Pub food was hearty and varied, and at a reasonable price for the area.

I'd recommend the place as a good base for South Dales walking, being smack on the Settle-Carlisle line which allows for a good range of walks without driving. Even if you're not a walker or potholer, the pub is a cosy and friendly place to drink, eat and sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Have stayed here a few times over the years, mainly because you can walk out of the door onto the Pennine Way, it is ideal as a base for The Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge. The rooms vary in size, there is plenty of hot water (essential after a days walking!) and the beds are reasonably comfortable however, sadly, the whole Hotel is beginning to look a little dated (which is why I can't give it 4 stars). There are 2 bars with a mixture of both locals and visitors always in good humour, willing to share walking experiences and stories! The food is good quality, varied "pub grub" with good sized portions and the beer is excellent!

Room Tip: ask if you specifically want a room with an ensuite bath or a shower!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison698
Reviewed November 10, 2012

It was 10pm and I was in need of safe cosy accomodation for last night. The staff could offer me a double room with en suite for £40 (had I heard right ?- its a long time since I have paid so little) The pub was warm and cosy with a good combination of friendly locals and visiting walkers. I was shown to my room which was warm and clean and cosy.

I went downstars for a night cap, a read of the paper and a sit by the lovely coal fire. I had some delicious shiraz which was very reasonably priced, so i had another. I was made to feel most welcome by the landlady and landlord, both easily chatted with me and I even got chatting to some locals too.

I had the best nights sleep ever in the big warm comfortable bed. I woke up to a lovely view of the Dales out of my window. I then had a nice cup of tea, from a very well stocked tea tray in my room. (Is it the water in Yorkshire that makes it taste so good?)

The shower was clean, powerful and lovely and warm, with plenty of lovely fluffy towels. available. Soaps, shampoo, showerhat etc all there and welcome as I had not brought any with me. The breakfast was lovely, well cooked -perfect poached eggs and nicely presented in a homely dining area. All in all it had everything I wanted in a B&B.

Interestingly, on talking with Thomas, the proprietor, it appears that he does get some very challenging groups of guests, who abuse the premises and its facilities. Which is a shame as it is they who have prompted the strict notices. To me, they just indicate managers who care about their business and their home and want to keep it nice.

I have stayed in many many guest houses, hotels and B&B's and this is the first time I have actually felt I was undercharged.

The comments written about the "quietness" of Horton village amuse me somewhat. Isn't this why people come here, for the peace, for a holiday, to get away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives?

This hotel is placed in one of the most beautiful landscapes in the UK, what a treat just to be there to see it. I will be going back and will look forward to a welcome comfotable stay.

Recommended, recommended, recommended !

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 5, which was a double with an en suite shower room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Annieretrolife
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed a single night whilst walking the pennine way. The room was unclean (more about that later), although the meal I had was substantial and tasty. The first thing that strikes you are the sheer number of warning notices, all printed on laminated white a4 sheets. They appear on the entrance as you come in the hotel and the theme continues within the guest information folders in the rooms 'all rooms will be checked before departures and damages will be charged', 'do not consume your own alcohol in the room','fire alarm resets will be charged at £50, we can tell which room triggered the alarm', and the list goes on. Worried that I would be charged for the missing tv remote in my room I went on a search... A brief peruse under the bed turned up two different stay socks and am empty pack of pork scratchings.. Lovely. After inquiring at the bar about the remote, the lady pulled out a small sack of remotes and asked me to spot the right one!!!! They do this because they are stolen! I perceive that The owners of this hotel run it for themselves to a set formula and this involves assuming that all guests conform to the lowest common denominator, god knows who they get in this place. But I as a normal none tv remote stealing guest with no criminal intentions did not overly appreciate the approach... Add to this that the landlady conspired to charge me £15 for changing a booking with 4 months notice when I was doing a charity walk, will give you a good idea as to the motivation of the proprietors of this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo