“At Jo's coffee is the healthier option!!”
Review of Seagars Cooking School and Cafe - CLOSED

Seagars Cooking School and Cafe
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Seagars is owned by New Zealand Cook Book author Jo Seagar. The business includes the Seagars Cafe, Cook School, Kitchen Store and B&B Accommodation.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

On a chilly Sunday at Oxford what better way to defrost the body than to enjoy a warming lunch at Jo's? We had really enjoyed a lesson at the cooking school some years earlier. About the same time we took advantage of the Thursday evening option which we enjoyed. This time on arrival there was some confusion at the counter about seating and how we would place an order. We left the confusion behind deciding to opt for the annex room that is adjacent to the cooking school. It offered the most toddler friendly environment, which we are grateful for - being conscious of not wanting to disturb couples or groups of travellers. We received the menu and were eager to order. My daughter asked for a toasted sandwich for her two years old - we don't offer that was the reply. The children's meal consisted of saveloys, fries, a pie and some small triangle sanwiches, fruit and some lollies... all very 1950s and in our view inappropriate for a child. The regular menu was similarly designed - fatty options with lashings of bacon, pies and other country fare. We watched as the nearby diners recieved their meals, the food looking rather like a pile of cholesterol on a plate as opposed to the well presented images of food photographed for Jo's cookbooks.
We enjoyed our coffee and biscuits: it was excellent quality and fresh, the yoyos were short and crumbly, the creamy filling was ample. The fluffy was well recieved by our toddler as was the chocolate fish and the white chocoalte buttons that accompanied it!! All in all we made the most of our visit - but were disappointed to return to an icon of Oxford's establishment that is looking tired and resting on it's laurels. Staff could do with some customer focused training as well. We will visit again for coffee because its the most palatable option - the menu and the food presentation needs a reality check - at the pass the chef cannot airbrush out the faults it seems.

3  Thank plum_persey

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

A group of us went to Jo Segars café for lunch and what a disappointment. The food was overpriced. The menu was really quite limited and really not nice. The waitress said they were short staffed but the place was grubby. I have been there at least 3 times before and each time think I won't go back but give it another go hoping for a better experience. .... I won't go back again.

3  Thank KScheepers
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We are locals and took some friends for lunch there. We are so disappointed. The service is the real let down...they seem more interested in talking between themselves then actually serving customers. We arrived and there were two others seated. We waiting 15 minutes for menus so I grabbed them myself. Two of us had the pie Which was around $22, words cannot explain how underwhelming it was. Once we finished, we thought about desert, so again after our table was cleared I grabbed menus and had to prompt to order. We had desert which was nice but the entire meal was ruined by the main lunch meal and the crap service.
Pity - we will not return.

1  Thank Ryan P
Reviewed July 29, 2014

It seems the cafe has 'gone downhill' somewhat recently. I was very disappointed with the pumpkin lasagne I had there for lunch, it was so overcooked and bland I could barely get through it and left a lot of it on the plate (it looked more like baby food by the time I'd picked at it). I was then very surprised that the Hummingbird cake was not up to the standard I'd had enjoyed there previously - it was so sweet it was hard to get through.

1  Thank MBSULLY
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We drove to Oxford with plans to have lunch here as had been a few years ago and it was fantastic. What a disappointment. The cafe has become dated and run down, staff disinterested and the menu bland. No cabinet food just some dry overpriced biscuits on the counter. The flat White was watery and burnt tasting and the menu so overpriced and uninspiring that we left and had lunch in a Rangiora instead.

1  Thank AngeDu