All reviews cabo san juan camping site cold shower minute walk arrecifes pueblito hammocks hike jungle beaches mattresses facilities retreat lockers playa
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It's a bit of a hike to get here but it is one of the nicer beaches and good for swimming so probably worth it and you really couldn't ask for a nicer view. The facilities are not fantastic. Showers are outdoors and there is no paper so make sure you bring your own. We stayed in the hammock hut (16 hammocks perched on the hill) for 25000 each per night. The ones in the campsite are cheaper. You cross a river (about waist deep at high tide, ankle deep at low) to get there and there are no lights or bathrooms so don't forget your torch when you go to dinner. It is not a great place to be if the weather is not good. It had rained the night before we were there and rained heavily the night we were there. If you have a hammock facing the water you are likely to be soaked by morning. It can also be cold so take warm clothes and a sleeping bag liner or similar. The ground also flooded so if the weather is not looking good, make sure you get your stuff off the ground. Our shoes had floated away by morning. The hammocks on at the campsite are not as exposed to the wind etc but have mozzies. There are free lockers (byo padlock), an expensive restaurant and a little shop. Expect to pay about 4000 pesos for a beer and a minimum of 15000 for a basic dinner. From taganga a collectivo will take you to the m rakers in santa marta for 1200pesos, then you can get another collectivo to tayrona for 6000 so this was a MUCH cheaper way than a tourist shuttle.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank kieranspt
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location of this campingplace is amazing. Beautifull beach, palmtrees, seaview from the camping. It's great. Quite expensive when you compare it to other campsites but definately worth it because of the location. For me there was one big minus: my two days old flipflops where stolen by a guy who worked on the camping. My bf and me were laying in our tent around ten at night. THE tent was open, we only closed the anti-mosquitogaze so we had some breeze and seaview at sunrise. We were still awake and at once a Colombian (or south american) looking man, dressed in a poloshirt the campingworkers wear, came to our tent. He couldn't really see us. I saw him picking something up from before our tent: my new flipflops I left outside the tent (stupid yes, but I just felt safe there). Because we were in underwear (needed to put clothes on), we waited just long enough for the thief to get away. We just knew he was dressed like one of the employees. We went looking for him but no succes. The camping manager (I think) didn't at all believe it was one of his employees cause they should be asleep (but there were like at least ten watching tv/walking around) and they got money from the camping to buy there own flipflops so there was no need for them to steal, according to the manager. He offered (and did) pay back my Havaiana's, but his [--] reaction (it was not my employee, should have been a tourist) on something I saw happening wasn't cool. But the place is amazing. Just go there but look closely after your stuff.

Date of stay: October 2012
1  Thank BergB020
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Defintely stay at least one night in Tayrona but it might be worth looking beyond San Juan. We stayed there on the first night and while the beach is beautiful, the campsite leaves a bit to be desired. You have to be there by two o'clock, at least to line up (for about 40 minutes in our case) for a hammock. We ended up with a tent, which we actually preferred as we felt like our stuff was more secure and I believe the hammocks can get cold and wind blown at night. The toilets/showers etc are also pretty bad and there's not many of them. The food at the restaurant is ok - average about 20 pesos a meal - but the view is amazing!! We spent our second night at Finca Don Pedro which is near Arrecifes and about half way between the park entrance and San Juan. The camping ground itself is a 15 minute walk from a swimming beach BUT the staff is so much friendlier, the tents newer and they have sheets on the mattresses (small things!) the restaurant is cheaper and yummier, the toilet and shower facilities are much better and it's less crowded. Both have their pros and cons!!

Date of stay: July 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lauren115
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Yes it is rustic, far and has very basic facilities, but every sacrifice it's worthwhile the effort. the water is pristine, the mountains are impressive, the landscape is out of this world and the weather it's just awesome. don't forget to bring all basic necessities including toilet paper!

Date of stay: March 2012
2  Thank catalinda
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in the mirador hammocks- up on a rock in the sea. Much nicer than staying in the hammocks down by the generator. The beach is gorgeous and so is the swimming. I would recommend visiting the little beaches around the corner as well. Only negative was the bathrooms- but it is a campsite after all. A fantastic place to go.

Date of stay: July 2011