“Excellent value, very tasty food and nice setting”
Review of The Grey Lady

The Grey Lady
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We fell on this place whilst visiting Bradgate Park with the dogs. At first glance, we guessed the food would be far more expensive than it was. A two course lunch for two, with two drinks and with generous amounts of warm fresh bread was a tiny bit over £30. There were four or five dishes on offer for the starter and the same amount for the main on the paper menu, which indicates freshness, whilst still giving a good choice. The staff were friendly and checked all was well without being intrusive. We were actually there as the same time as the below reviewer and saw the staff bring out the birthday cake which looked a nice touch.
Will certainly go back to try the evening menu and will certainly be back to walk the dogs at Bradgate and call in for lunch, a very enjoyable day out.

There are newer reviews for The Grey Lady

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I took my girlfriend this Monday for her birthday and we had the lunch offer. It is a lovely place to eat with a nice atmosphere, friendly service and lovely picture out the back of the restaurant (especially as it was snowing). I called ahead to let them know it was my girlfriends birthday and they greeted her with a happy birthday and a special birthday cake at the end of the meal which was a lovely touch.
The food was good value and nicely presented and makes us want to come back to try the a la carte menu in the evening.
I would recommend as one of Leicestershire's best restaurant and combined with Bradgate Park is a fantastic afternoon out.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I took my wife and daughter to this resturant on Saturday (Jan) for the lunch offer. 2 courses for £12.50 and Three for £16.50. I have eaten at this restuarant a few times over the years and have always had a great experience and this visit was no different. The quality of the food was exceptional. I also appreciated the owner making an effort to make our daughter feel welcome talking to her as a parent I always appreciate little touches like this. I can't recommend this place highly enough, for Me it has to be one of the best restuarants in Leicestershire if not the best (the only downside is they do not have a childs menu, just smaller portions of the main meal).

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was a boxing day lunch that basically turned into a bit of a shambles. We had a table booked for 2.30 and had gone to a pub down the road called 'The Bradgate' for drinks first, we then arrived at 'The grey lady' at 2.20. We were a little early so when we were told our table wasn't ready yet we didn't think much of it, little did we know that we would be hanging around for 45 minutes until 3.05 to be shown to our table. Unfortunately there were no seats to start with by the bar so we just had to stand around like lemons in between peoples tables while they were eating, not comfortable. After about 20 minutes some people moved of the bar chairs so we did get to sit down but then even more people started to arrive and be told that their tables weren't ready either. So by about 3.00 there were loads of people (maybe around 20) just hanging around, some seated who were able to get seats, some stood out in the foyer, some just standing between tables in the restaurant, and from what I could hear from some of them they weren't very happy either. When we finally got to our table the food was fine and we enjoyed our meal and wine and the girls who served us were nice enough. My problem is that at no point did anyone offer us a complimentary drink or a small amount of money off our bill, when we were leaving we got a ''sorry about the wait'' from one lady. I am sure if it were the other way around and we had booked a table for 2.30 and turned up at 3.05 it would have been a different story. I have heard many a story of restaurants refusing service, giving the table away to someone else or even trying to charge you money for the table even though you haven't used it at some high end restaurants.

1  Thank Flashbax
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I went to the Grey Lady for lunch a few times during the summer months, once with family and once with friends.

Firstly the setting is just beautiful, on a summers day it is just wonderful to be able to sit out in the grounds and enjoy the views.

The food is very good and the lunch is very suitably priced. I would say its up there with some of the best food I have eaten. You can tell its sourced locally and only the finest ingredients have been used. ,

To me the evening meals seemed a bit over priced.

However for the setting, I would recommend enjoying this restaurant on a Saturday lunchtime during the summer.