“Not as good as it was last year (2011)”
Review of Duddingston Arms - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Duddingston Arms
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
edinburgh
“Not as good as it was last year (2011)”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband & i went here for a group gathering and the service we got i had to laugh at , after my started i was asked to keep my cutlery as they did not think they would have enough . I did get clean cutlery just before my main course came ( must have washed some ) . Was not impressed with what met me in toilets either , there was a strong smell of dampness to which i found when entering the cubical . Mold up around bottom of wall yuk . Also to top everything everyone in the group were met with a 20% service charge EACH . Must admit there was 1 lovely girl that served me with one of my courses could not have been more pleasant . Would have been a great night if it were 2011 all over again . Will be going else where ,I believe customers come first & are not just cash cows to bump the bill up as they please .

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank jul3s
newhaveninn, Owner at Duddingston Arms, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I am sorry for your disappointment on the group visit of the 17th.

I was also sad to hear all was not right on the night and I have taken action with the staff who were working. They did say the group increased from an expected 25ish to 42. This put the staff under some pressure as we are only a small pub and not really suited to such a large group. However this is no reason for bad service. I have also been in touch with your group organiser (see review above).

As for the toilets, I know there is a problem with the flat roof extension under which the ladies are sited. We have tried many times to fix this but in an old building (1832) it has proved harder than we first thought.

I have asked the staff to review the cleaning rota for the toilets as it is very important that the toilets are always clean.

Thank you for your nice comments on the one staff member who provided you with good service I wish all our staff were this helpful.

London
“Great local pub”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Had lunch here on our way to visiting Hopetoun House. Very friendly staff and efficient service. Nice to find a pub selling proper pub food for a change. We both had nice meals, good portions and nice and hot. We will definitely return.

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant with our one year old kid”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Good local little pub, the locals were lovely people & the bar staff are very friendly they go out there way to help you, my wife & I would highly recommend it for a visit.
The food is to a good standard and the amount was more than enough.
We are planing our next visit shortly with other couple.

Penicuik, United Kingdom
“MollyWally”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We visited for a quick bite of lunch yesterday for 1st time. Innocuous from the road and having no car park of its own, but pleasantly surprised at the warmth inside from Staff who were attentive, polite and efficient, food was good and plenty of it, well kept beer. Will definitely return very soon and will recommend to all.

• Visited October 2012
Edinburgh
“Wish this pub was closer to home”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten here a few times and have never been disappointed. It has a lot of good things going for it. It is very quaint, it has great beer with guest ales coming in all the time, it is dog friendly, it has great service and the food is freshly cooked and comes into the superior pub food category. All in all well worth a visit. Just wish it was that little bit closer to home and it would be very definitely my local.