“Quiet, Relaxing, Perfect Getaway to Recharge”

Pearl Farm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Samal Island
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I was looking for a quiet place to getaway for a few nights somewhere in the Philippines - something reasonably priced, not too commerical and not too many people. Stumbled upon The Pearl Farm reviews here and I am glad I did. The Pearl Farm is a very, very nice place to relax and recharge the batteries. Is was cheaper than Cebu and less commerical and more relaxing than Boracay.

A taxi from the airport took us to the reception in Davao - this has a cafe and pool for you to relax, have something to eat while you wait for the boat. A boat ride to the island (maybe 30 minutes?) to be greated by a fresh juice and welcoming smiles, with us being escorted to the room. We had the basic room, but it was large, aircon'd, and sufficient. But I wasn't about to spend the rest of my time in the room - I was there for the sun.

There is one good (small) beach on the island, a lovely pool which is perfect for watching sunsets, a relaxing bar on the pier and the open-air restaurant is casual and adds to the whole atmosphere of The Pearl Farm. Everything at The Pearl Farm makes you relax.

There is a small island a few hundred metres away which has 6 exclusive houses on it and some lovely beaches. This is ideal for a few hours getway - it is even more relaxing.

There is a sports-shed that has snorkel gear, kayaks, skiing, etc.

Loved it for its simplicity, atmosphere and reasonable price. This is not a 6-Star resort (and doesn't claim to be), but the location is 6-Star, with the resort being not "over the top" but is perfect for the person looking to get away from it all and relax.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank HK71

Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed 26th Jun till 03-Jul 2007. In reading the 'Wandering Americans' review I cant agree with what was said. To pick up on some of the issues mentioned means you were looking for problems from the outset.
This resort is not a western resort and thats what makes it so great. The paths (not roads) between the restaurant and accomodations were gravel and typical of the area - tarmac or paving stones would detract from the authenticity. If walking short distanmces is a problem then there is a driver on call to pick you up and take you round the resort - no charge. The resort was relaying one of the paths while we were staying there and the staff did there utmost to ensure we werent disturbed or even aware of what was happening. This isnt a big place like you might find in the caribean - its a boutique resort where in our opinion the staff care about the clients immensly. Nothing was ever a problem and all the staff, even those not serving us like the gardeners or maintenance guys were very polite and good mannered.
We stayed in a suite and found it to be almost perfect. The bath upstairs was a bit dated but not a problem - the rooms were well equipped, in very good condition and exactly as advertised and we never saw any electirc cabling hanging out - our taps worked perfectly. If there were any problems Im sure the staff would have tried their best to correct them - so complain if you need to - but I doubt you will find a reason to.
The resort was built before the 'fishing village' which is next to the resort so Fuego cant be blamed for the location - the resort is bound to attract locals looking for jobs and in fact if you chat to staff you will find a lot of them live in the village or on site in the accomodation provided by the resort. Indeed, the resort pays for a priest to visit the island and provide a church service in the village every sunday - socially responsible - I think they are as responsible as any western company is.
As for the cost - PHP6800 is about GBP£68 so try US$140 not $500+. Drinks and the a la carte menu choices were good and there was something there to suit everyones taste. The buffet offered very good quality food though sometimes the catering was aimed more at the (majority) Korean guests - but plenty of good sushimi, salads, fish etc. You could say the food was recycled but I doubt it - the staff were regularlly changing the foods, not adding to them, replacing them even though the platers werent empty. There werent many people in the resort, mostly day trippers using the water sports or spa facilities so you can relax and not be bothered by other poeple. It was almost perfect - our only problem is the distance between the UK and Davao - we would love to go back and we recommend this place without a doubt.
Its a clean and authentic resort, friendly, helpful staff, great value for money - I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Andrew_1977
Reviewed July 7, 2007

June 29 to July 01, 2007 was our inclusive dates of our fun-filled holiday at Pearl Farm Beach Resort in Davao City Philippines. Together with my family and local friends, we decided to be in this resort for following reasons; recommendations and the enticing pictures of our friends taken on the same resort. To our surprise! The place was even magnificent compared to the digital prints. We would like to share those wonderful moments we had together with my family in this resort. We booked in our regular Travel Agency for our scheduled vacation, fortunately we able to finalize the dates based on our availability. Heavy rains greeted us in Davao International airport, we were lucky to have an airport representative in assisting us in our loaded luggage’s. On our boat ride going to the resort we were given complimentary bottled water and a sanitized wet tissue for our comfort during the 45 minutes boat ride. My wife was so excited when she vividly saw the world famous landmark of pearl farm, the parola. We even heard the ethnic sound coming from the resort which was describe by the boat crew as a welcome music to all arriving guest. Oh, obviously my wife and myself was greatly amazed on the way they welcome us, a tropical set-up welcome drinks was also noteworthy. Finally we had our room, Samal Suite was indeed perfect for us. For our 3days-2nights package, everything was indeed perfect for our family. My kids enjoyed the water sports facilities offered by the resort, my wife was in love with the scenic view and comfortable accommodation and for me, the buffet and breakfast in bed was remarkable, not to mention the hospitality extended to us by all of the staff. We really had a great time, my wife will further provide you comments and our memorable pictures taken on this vacation. We already had plans to be back by early next year. Truly it’s a paradise. =Michael Nichols/Canada

Stayed: July 2007
9  Thank m_nichols1962
Reviewed June 30, 2007

My family and I are have traveled to at least a dozen countries and have always been willing to pay much more for a night's stay in a hotel or resort with unimpeachable service and amenities, or at least reasonably close to being unimpeachable. Our stay in Pearl Farm has been anything but that yet the hotel had the temerity to charge the rate equivalent to that of a luxury hotel’s rate.

Our stay began with a van ride from the airport to the wharf. The van ride gave us glimpses of the shacks that dot the metropolis. Not a complaint, just an observation. The boat ride was pleasant enough and the welcome/check-in was smooth.

There were 4 of us in our party. We were in a Samal Suite for PhP6,800 per person per night. That’s about $590 a night and included 3 meals a day.

The suite was constructed of indigenous wood materials and showed signs of rot, peel, and dismal disrepair. The road leading to our suite was a gravel road with electric conduits buried only a few inches off the ground without proper insulation.

The bathroom drains were slow to drain. The shower knobs for both cold and hot water were pulled out of the wall and thus it took a bit of effort and ingenuity to turn them.

I woke up the first night with bumps on my extremities. I thought they were mosquito bites until my MD friend from the mainland saw it and declared, “bedbug bites.”

The pool lounges had ants all over and underneath them. The infinity pool was nice but the concrete deck had cracks all over the place and in need of a good power wash. The beach towels had stains on them.

The Parola’s seat cushions needed some major steam cleaning.

The game room was ill-equipped and consisted of nothing more than a few board games with some pieces missing from them.

The pool lounges had ants crawling under them and on them. The infinity pool was nice but the decking around it needed to be power washed and was cracked in a few areas.

The full body massage was cheap at approximately $20 per person. The masseur was no more than twenty years old and kept asking me questions about America. She went on to say that Europeans don’t tip at all but that Americans (oh, not the Filipina spouses though, according to this young lady) tip very well. All I wanted to do was lay still and forget I was even in Pearl Farm but she wouldn’t let up. So when she was done, I gave her a $20 tip --- I suppose it was my way of saying, yes, even Filipina wives of Americans tip quite handsomely too.

The food? Ah, the food. I do not cook and, as such, I am not picky. But this really was just too much. What Filipino could mess up a chicken adobo? The meat was dry, had a funky taste, and tough. I could only assume that it's been reheated over and over again. The leftover dessert had an unpleasant strange habit of reappearing at the dessert buffet table meal after meal after meal. The rice was always clumpy.

We couldn’t wait to leave Pearl Farm. The ride back gave us an unforgettable vista view of the socioeconomic reality of the resort. Immediately adjacent to Pearl Farm Beach Resort are shanties lining the beachfront. This shows the utter disregard of Fuego Hotels & Properties to the locals in the area. How could the management build a resort boasting of luxurious, world-class amenities with its back and sideyards showing how dismally poor the locals are? The contrast is appalling and is socially irresponsible. If Fuego Hotels & Properties had any sense, they should have rebuilt these people’s homes and integrated the community and turned it into the resort’s quaint little fishing village. Instead, the management would like us to forget that these houses on stilts do not have adequate toilet facilities. That leads me to ask Pearl Farm, how’s your coliform count?

In comparison, so you know where I'm coming from, here are a few examples: Marco Polo is 1/3 the rate but 3x better than Pearl Farm. Waling-Waling in Boracay is 2x better. Makati Shangri-la is 5x better. Fiesta Americana Coral Beach in Cancun is 10x better. Barcelona Hilton is 8x better. We've been to all these places and they all charge less than Pearl Farm.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
15  Thank WanderingAmerican
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I recently returned from the Pearl Farm Resort having been recommended to stay they by a collogue of mine who has lived in the Philippines for over 20 years . Although we traveled from Perth which involved a 4 ½ hour flight to Singapore then an overnight connection with Cebu Pacific Airlines (an excellent low cost carrier) which was 3 hours to Cebu and then an additional hour to Davao it was well worth the trouble .

The resort although typical of many Asian resorts which I have stayed over the times was in need of some maintenance it was idyllic the children had great fun throwing themselves of the balcony of our Samal house directly into the water bellow which was like an aquarium .

Not to be missed is the tour to the coral island although we could not find the required 7 people for the tour we hired the boat and paid for the 7 people even though we were only 4 but it is still good value at around US$80 for 3 hours .

The highlight of the evening was a few drinks at the bar watching the sun go down at happy hour prices (50% discount 4-6 pm ) A beer is 70 pesos normal price so less than 1US$ at happy hour .

One of the only things which could have been improved was the seating around the pool which has only 14 places to lie on lounges so during busy times then it is not easy to find a place but overall it was a great experience and we plan to go back again

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank MSCPerthAustralia
Reviewed May 19, 2007

This is the best-kept secret among the beach resorts in the Philippines.

El Nido's Miniloc Island can learn a great deal from Pearl Farm's five star amenities, service, accommodations, and food.

This is my one and only resort everytime I visit Philippines from now on.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank lyftrvlr
Reviewed May 6, 2007

Absolutely best amenities.....spectacular villas..( especially in malipano villas.. ) Best Interiors, best view, best ambience, clear waters, pristine beach.....

The only pitfall is, service is really bad.....
Especially the ff :

reception/reservations and front desk ,
restaurant
relationship manager
tie-ups w/ major credit card establishments

Service should go hand in hand w/ the beauty of the place,
so that there will be repeat vacationers....i

t would also help
if the food menu will be improved as well..

Nonetheless, overall experience was exhilerating..would recommend it to fellow vacationers who would want a different experience...away from the hustle and bustle of another cliche summer beach destination...

I would also strongly advise on bringing a very large dose of patience ..

for their personnel.

Hof Gorei Beach Resort
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Samal Island
Paradise Island Park & Beach Resort

Been to Pearl Farm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!