“Pearl Farm Beach Resort--truly awesome”

Pearl Farm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Samal Island
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My friends and I went there last month for a Davao trip. We've heard of Pearl Farm as one of the tourists' spots in Davao, that's why we never let the chance of visiting the resort.

We were hesitant at first to make a booking, since the travel time of 40 minutes is quite a long time to squeeze in our busy IT. But we grabbed the chance anyway. It turned out that the prices are reasonable and the travel time is worth it--the Parola view from afar along with its lush green trees atop are a sight to behold. When we arrived at the place, everybody in the resort welcomed us with warmth and great services.

Plus, the place is simply breath-taking. Everything from the Parola, the swimming pool and its crystal clear blue waters are so inviting that we decided to stay for a night at one of its Samal Houses. The services were great and the staff are all friendly. The food is delicious, especially in Maranao restaurant. We left the place with fun-filled memories and big smiles on our faces.

I would highly recommend Pearl Farm Beach Resort--where everything is worth it!

-- Little Miss Sunshine

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 4, 2009

Its a paradise right in Samal Island, Davao City.
The view in every angle once your in the resort is simply great you'll love taking pictures as it gives a unique distinct looks...
And the their staff just so accomodating with superb smile, bet you'll lose your worries as you see them. Services are great too.
But... but you know whats wrong their...? its my schedule...grrrr... I just can't stay long to enjoy that great place waaaaaaa. hehe.
Go out and enjoy God given nature.
Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I had heard of the resort for many years but little realised how nice it is,its on a wonderful cliffside location in wholly natural surroundings and having a spa when it rains-under cover of course-is one of lifes great experiences.

Just go there and see for yourself!!

I also recommend you dive in the Davao Gulf where we saw our first whale shark!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

My family and I stayed this weekend for two nights at the Pearl Farm. It has been 14 years since our last visit and was quite surprised, if not shocked, on the deterioration of service from that time. Though it is still being marketed as a high-end resort and charges at that level, the service and facilities do not merit such rates. The structures are run down and worst, the service is really bad. Here are some of the experiences we had during our stay:

- At the airport, we were greeted (like the usual) by a staff with the sign. We were then turned over to the driver of the van who was assigned to shuttle us from the airport to the marina. We reserved 2 rooms with registered 6 guests (3 adults and 3 children). With that number of guests, anyone can imagine the number of luggage we would have. That means at least 2 carts. Since it was only the driver who was assisting us, we were forced to take care of the other cart. Having 5 bags and one person to load all these, we had to assist him to hasten the process and get us going.

- At the Marina, as soon as we registered, we were asked about our flight schedule going back. I guess this is for the logistics of bringing us to the marina after check-out. Since it is not top of mind, we just gave the receptionist the time, destination and carrier name who kept on insisting roughly on getting the flight number. To think, we gave our flight details during booking and payment prior to arrival. In this situation, what I would expect from a resort of this status, is to (1) know the flight details - it is your business. (2) If not, then refer to the information given during booking because then what is it for? (3) Get the flight number from the internet. All the information was given anyway!
Next experience was the invasion of privacy. As a protocol, ALL bags are inspected. That is quite tolerable if the concern is the safety of the guests. Having some Doritos, Oreos and a few more snacks, we were informed that this is not allowed in the resort. I explained to them that these are for the children since they occasionally asks for snacks. The inspector placed all the food in one bag and consulted another staff. They decided to allow us and turned over the plastic bag to another staff and told us to retrieve this from the front desk at the resort. The whole interaction was not at all friendly. It was like, we were "asking for consideration" when it should have been the other way.

Upon arrival and registration in the resort, the staff was clueless about the plastic bag. Apparently, the staff from the marina did not inform the staff in the resort. So, the staff who was carrying this plastic bag was the one who explained. Without any proper background, the staff in the reception area argued with me again that food is not allowed. Never mind the lack of coordination. I asked if these snacks are available in the resort, if yes, then they can keep it. But for the rest of it which they do not have, I insisted on keeping. SInce they were taking so long, I told them to just sort it out and have it brought to the room. I received a phone call in the room after a while and the girl was "happy" to inform me that they will allow it this time but next time, "hindi na pwede". Wow, I feel so grateful. That is not the point! First, the profile of the people this resort attracts are of a certain economic level. If we were bringing cupped noodles, caldero of ulam, maybe even bread, then maybe they have enough reason to insist on not allowing this into the resort. But these are snacks. For the sake of argument, let's say for some reason, they do not want to have ANY food brought into the resort, then at least provide enough choices of snacks that we can purchase. They only had doritos, lay's, chippy, a few M&M's and Hershey's. It was truly disappointing to see their spread after being harassed and insisting that they had enough choices.

It appears to me that the staff is solely concerned on PROTOCOL ONLY. Guests' well-being is not even a close second in their priority. In other places of this level, I noticed that they never give the guests any inconvenience. They balance getting what needs to be done without inconveniencing the client.

- At the resort. When we arrived after check-in, the room we were to occupy had crumpled paper in different places - under the bed, in the drawer. There was even hair on the shower drain. This apparently was from the previous occupant of the room. That makes you think how the rooms are cleaned.

Most of the time, we ordered room service. In all instances, it took 3 phone calls to remind them to dish out before they actually did. On the last day, our lunch at 1pm was only taken out at 9pm when were on bed. By that time, the whole terrace was smelling of rotting tomato sauce from the pasta.

Whenever food was delivered, the waiters would leave the food without properly arranging it for eating. The first room service, they dragged the table from outside into the room and just stuffed everything on the table without properly setting it. On the last night, the ashtray that they removed from the table was placed on the seat which was to be occupied by the one who will be eating. The waiter seemed to be oblivious of how the food was going to be consumed. They have one objective and that is getting the food in the room and that's it. If you stayed in a place such as Paradise or other places who market themselves not as high-end as Pearl Farm, you won't expect anything. But Pearl Farm is a resort marketing itself as a high-class resort.

At the dinning area during dinner, I called on the waitress. Instead of coming closer to ask what I needed, she stayed where she was at about 10 feet away asking (without any motion to come closer) if I wanted something. I did not even reply. That is basic!!! You do not talk to a guest from a distance.

At the pool area, I was planning to go back to the room for a while to retrieve something, with 3 children in the pool, I asked the staff walking around the pool if there was a lifeguard. The answer was "huh? eh, break time ko na ho." First, if there are no life guards, the guests must be properly informed through a sign. Second, if so, when asked, the staff should give a more appropriate reply and nothing like that that shows NO regard for its guests. The staff were not at all courteous.

The issue I see is that there is no proper support or follow through on the marketing claim or positioning that the resort has set itself in. They claim to be a high-end resort, they command that price, they better deliver what the guests are expecting. The run down structure can be forgiven if at least the service is superb. What does Pearl Farm offer that no other resort can give? Facilities? Modern or new structure? Location? Service? Food? Of all those mentioned, the food can be considered given that it is quite good. It is not good enough though to cover for the lack of the rest. What sets you different from the rest? That is the more general but very important question to ask for the business to survive.

While that is being answered, I hope that they address the lack of training of the staffs. The staff should be made aware of balancing following protocol but also know how a guest should be treated. There is a way of discreetly implementing the resort's SOPs without making the guest feel less important. The staff conduct can be compared to people who sound so eager without finesse.

I wrote to them with the objective of giving constructive feedback for the improvement but guess what? After sending my mail, it bounced back because their mail box was full! Tells you so much about their SERVICE!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank TripTrapped
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Considering Pearl Farm I expected perfection; instead of perfection we got quite much adventure. The location is very good (expecially the swimming pools with whirl pool). I am glad that I was choosing the Mandaya house. You have the whirl pool directly in front (good place for a family with baby!). Now the disadvantages. Pearl Farm is situated more or less in the jungle. Don't be disappointed if you see ants or small lizards in your room. The food is not so good (the food in Paradise Island is better!). And the roomservice is also not so good. All in all we are quite satisfied for staying 3 nights; but not more!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank DrDiego
Reviewed August 12, 2009

we have stayed in this resort twice now. it is a very nice place if u want to relax and not worry about anything else. the beach is good. malipano island is also good. the only thing that we noticed was the food. the first time we stayed there was in 2005 (about 1 week), and we couldn't forget the food, so yummy... but were disappointed when we went there for the second time in 2008 ( we stayed there for about 3 weeks). the food unfortunately was far from what it was before. we are planning to stay there next year, i hope they will do something about the'r food.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank flicker1
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Everything was great! The room, service , cleanliness, food, amenities, except for the complimentary breakfast.. Am not satisfied wih it. Foods are excellent , but expensive though. I will bring my family here the next time I visit again.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Samal Island
Paradise Island Park & Beach Resort

Been to Pearl Farm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!