“Its paradise”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Samal Island
NSW, Australia
“Its paradise”
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I loved this place the moment we got off the boat.

We had one of those rooms right by the ocean and it was wonderful to step into your balcoony which is immersed in water.

The rooms are basic but comfortable. All meals were included and value for money is excellent. Quality of food was great. They had a new menu and theme each night with entertainment. Happy hour gives great value for drinks while watching the sun go down

Water activities were fun. I tried scuba diving for the first time here and the folks were paitent to take you through the trial session in the pool and then take you for a 45 minute dive. All for USD. Great value, suberb experience.

I also had 4 spa treatments. The ladies were professional, took their time and give a mean massage! Just what the soul needed.

I would most certainly go back there.

• Liked — The views and value for money
  • Disliked — Did not like the ammenities provided
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Portia1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Radlett, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I had a good time at Pearl Farm all in all. We came down from Manila for a few days and headed to the resort after one night in Davao City.

Incidentally, aside from seeing two guys get tragically murdered- shot in the head- Davao City was interesting and worth a stop, but I wish we'd stayed in the Marco Polo Hotel- just next to the cool downtown covered craft/shell market. Instead we stayed in some dowdy casino hotel.

Arriving by boat at Pearl Farm I was surprised to see that the resort had a good sized shanty village/town next to it. To be honest once you are in the resort you aren't really aware of it and I didn't see sewage or anything in the water. Still, it must be there and you kind of imagine the hotel is in splendid isolation - but that clearly isn't the case.

We had one of the three storey houses on the water- front looking out over the clear water. The accommodation was really nice and I'm glad we changed from the pokey water front one-room cottage that we were originally booked into. The upgrade was def worth the extra money.

The hotel also has a smaller island just offshore, which the speed boat goes back and forth between. The beach and swimming is nicer over there (including an anchored raft offshore) and they have larger cottages on stilts over the water if you are a larger group. Just check to make sure there isn't a Wedding when you are there as they monopolize the entire nicest beach area. If you go over to the smaller island walk on the old concrete jetty and your eyes will become accustomed to the seabed, upon which you'll notice scores of giant clams.

The bar above the jetty on the main resort is kind of cool, built up above the ground.

Good security, with armed guards.

Downsides

Food is either ok, verging on good, or hit and miss.

Tacky cultural show that you MUST sit through before being "allowed to eat" dinner- Five Star Resorts are about discretion and opting into such things if you want them. They should hold it somewhere else other than the main dining room. If you go to be seated after the "culture show" then you will probably not get a decent table. The show seemed more to the benefit of the participants who were giggling and laughing among themselves. Cute but not worthy of a mandatory supposedly 5* experience. Added no value to the "Pearl farm" experience- only detracted.

Pool water was a little bit cloudy.

Service was hit or miss- inconsistent

I recently had a widely travelled friend with a penchant for luxury hotels come back from Pearl Farm who was very disappointed.

I didn't do any of the dives there but some other guests really enjoyed them, especially some old WWII Japanese ships.

Management are greedy allowing too many day-trippers who crowd the resorts dining area.

Every time new people arrive or leave there is a very loud, giant xylophone which is played and reverberates around the whole resort. Thinking of dozing until you naturally wake-up?? Thank again!!

• Liked — The 3 storey houses are architecturally pretty cool and fun for a stay. The sea life.
  • Disliked — Overcrowding day-trippers, Weddings crowding the island, too much NOISE!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank britinnyc30
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I have booked the Pearl Farm Davao for a romantic getaway and as well as a birthday getaway for myself and my fiance. It is his first time in Davao, thus a resort will be perfect for our trip.

The stay was lovely, got a room on the hillside, though there are mosquitoes and a rustic shower room but overall the room was nice and clean. We had a quick swim at the pool before our buffet dinner. The food was really nice, i still misses the food every now and then. After the food, we had a relaxing night at the Parola, drinking cocktails. The staffs are very hospitable and helpful.

I would definitely come back again!

• Liked — The Pool and Parola
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank J_Love_to_Travel
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2008

Well, I have to say that this is really one nice resort! The pictures on their website don't even do it justice. It looks even better in person. We stayed here in one of the Samal Rooms at the Pearl Farm Resort for 3 nights for our honeymoon in late November 2008. The rooms overlook the water. I looked at many places in the Philippines to have our honeymoon but this was one of the most romantic resort I could find in the Philippines without spending hundreds of dollars per night. We just had our wedding in Cebu but wanted to go somewhere different for our honeymoon.

The room was fantastic! The service was excellent. The food was not always up to my taste but then again I am not that fond of seafood ...which is not a good situation if you are located on a small island! Otherwise, it was a top notch resort and up to the standards of any resort anywhere else in the world.

We paid $115 a night for our room overlooking the water. It included a full buffet breakfast every morning plus free airport transfer plus free boat transfer to the island (it takes approx. 25 mins to get to the island from Davao City). I found this deal on [-].

The same type of accommodation in Palawan will net you 4 times that price! It is a great deal!

This is perfect place for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe M
singapore
Reviewed November 21, 2008

This is my 1st time to travel to this province and this resort. Pearl Farm is so lovely and so romantic =)

We we're there during off peak so the price is quite affordable including buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is great and my hubby loves it.

It's a resort on it's own island and the samal houses are super great as in it's standing on the water. I love our balcony as the sun shines through your room and you can see all the fishes there =)

our experience is really splendid even for a night =)

• Liked — serene beach
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alexme18
Phillipines
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I, my wife & our 6 yr. old stayed here last August 2007. We chose the Samal houses which made our stay memorable. We got to see the fabulous marine life just outside our room. It would have been better if they installed little glass floors just like in the BORA BORA resorts...:-) We asked stale bread from the resto & brought it back to our room, then fed the fishes right outside our veranda. Our kid enjoyed it a lot...
As for the beach, we didn't liked it that much. We even went to Malipano Island to see if the beach there was better but got dissappointed. Better to use the infinity pool, you get to relax & enjoy the view of the sea....very near the dining area :-)
One minor drawback. I was surprised to see one of the cleaning staff suddenly enter the veranda in the middle of the night with no apparent reason. He suddenly went away when he realized that I saw him...Anyway, For me a 3d2n stay in these resort was appropriate.

• Liked — The Samal House
  • Disliked — the beach
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Passion4Leisure
Bath,
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Having read the reviews on this site I had decided to take a few days relaxation in this resort while on a business trip to The Philippines. Flew down to Davao and was met by the resort representative who took me to the ferry check in terminal to the resort. So far so good. The greeting at the resort jetty was somewhat mechanical and formulaic and I was taken to my hillside room. My bags were dropped off without me being familiarised with the room. Mmmm - what follows will surprise the readers of this review given the favourable promotion this hotel has received hitherto. On opening the toilet seat lid to use the toilet I was greeted with a pile of cigarette ash in the toilet bowl. There was also a dirty ashtray on top of the cistern. I had requested a non smoking room but surely even a smoker would nave been taken aback at this. The rest of the bathroom had not been cleaned with body hair in the shower cubicle and old cobwebs on the ceiling . I then went to unpack my bag and found that the cupboard shelves were in a filthy state so I cleaned these myself before storing my clothes. Upon leaving the room the door lock would not function properly. The descent down to the restaurant(I was starving and had nothing to eat all day) was very poorly lit and even I as a fit individual had trouble negotiating my way. On entering the restaurant I was about to take a seat at one of the vacant tables when a waitress asked me if I had "made a reservation" (yes - you could not make this up if you tried.) I flipped. I have travelled extensively around the world but cannot remember being treated like this at a so called 5 star resort ever before. I went to the front office and demanded to see the manager; I had no intention of taking out my anger at the Filipino guy at the desk. The assistant Spanish manager eventually came(manager was off duty) and I stated in no uncertain words what I felt about his resort. I had booked in for 4 nights but demanded to be put on the next boat back to Davao the following morning which I was. For those North Americans and Europeans reading this review you should be aware that The Philippines hotel resort network is not as polished or professionally run as other countries in Asia with the exception of a handful of international hotels in Manila. However this was my 9th visit to the Philippines and what the Filipinos lack in infrastructure and training more than make up for in their charming hospitality and sense of humour - alas I lost mine at Pearl Farm Beach Resort.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — abominable service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
#1 of 52 in Davao City
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Samal Island

Been to Pearl Farm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!