“Like a Dream”

Pearl Farm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Samal Island
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My family and I stayed at Pearl Farm Beach Resort for a night and I felt that it was an amazing experience. We knew that we couldn't leave Davao without staying at least a night at this resort. The place was clean and the staff were very accommodating. The staff also speaks English quite fluently.

We arrived in a boat specially for Pearl Farm (+ complimentary chilled water before departure) at the Parola and were briefed by the staff about the different places around the resort. We were also given a complimentary glass of watermelon shake before sending our things to our respective rooms.

We occupied two Samal house. These rooms are the ones on stilts in the water. Underneath the Samal house were lots of sea urchin and colourful fishes. The tides go rather fast in the area, but it doesn't reach the house itself. The view outside the room was, I believe, the highlight of the price we paid. The sunset was just amazing. In the Samal houses we got, one room accommodates two people and the other room accommodates three. The A/C was lovely, it cooled the room very fast, I appreciated it very much when the weather outside became too warm.

The sand was quite rough on the feet thus I had to wear my slippers whenever I walk along the beach. I had an amazing time snorkelling (snorkelling gear and other water activity materials may be rented at a shack at the end of the resort), there were many fishes to see and feed. I enjoyed seeing families of clown fishes.

Their ala carte and buffet were good also for their price. I especially enjoyed their homemade ice cream. It was very refreshing.

Those who cannot walk far can avail a ride from the front desk or through a phone call to the front desk.

Overall, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Room Tip: Samal rooms have an amazing view of the sunset.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MissKellyG
There are newer reviews for Pearl Farm Beach Resort

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I hope that the Pearl Farm management reads tripadvisor reviews because seriously they need to change their level of service.

Please note this review is not for the actual resort / accommodation but on my experience with their booking/sales person.

We are booking in Pearl Farm to attend a friend's wedding and we decided to stay over for convenience. It took a whole week exchanging emails with the salesperson to be able to settle the details on the deposit and reservation procedure. A whole week of emails exchanged just to get a wrong bank account number when we are about to transfer the deposit.

Good thing we did not do an over the counter deposit from a different bank but instead did a mobile banking. Depositing in a wrong account will entail so much hassle to have that amount reverted back to our account and mind you the amount is not a paltry one.

We are not paying cheap to stay in Pearl Farm...Heck, it is even a tagged as a luxury resort in Davao but with that price tag I believe that the guest deserve a 5-star service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank carmiemie
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Spent one night in a Samal unit on the water. The food was good, service was great. The room was clean and nice. The prices are what you would expect to pay in the US not in the Phils but I still enjoyed the stay.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

A cut above the rest for accommodation and scenery. But you have to pay! Stunning atmosphere and scenery on a tropical island. The Mandaya house we stayed in was very luxurious open plan and modern, Something not for couples who are getting to know each other since the toilet is also quite open. Situated next to the pool and center of activities but still quiet and private. There are extensive modernization at the moment to the old central area but will be good when complete. The building work stopped at 5 pm so no noise. Recommended for a treat but you need a large wallet to stay the week.

Room Tip: The Hill top houses are just that. You need to be fit or wait for transport. They are away from the...
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It's the second most expensive resort in Davao that my wife and I are aware of. Obviously, the expectations were very high.

The boat getting to the resort is spacious and leaves on time. Plus the boat crew is very polite and helpful. It was a great start for the trip.

Once there, the view was as expected and the waters were clean and clear. During the welcoming orientation, the expectations were set on which areas are under renovation and the resort's current limitations. Not to thrilled about it, better than being blindsided.

We booked the hilltop room and we were given the corner room. It's much more spacious than the other rooms and at the same rate. We have our own veranda and living room, but the bathroom is small and there were all sorts of insects in there. The bed is big, but the bedsheet is quite old, itchy and uncomfortable. A noisy aircon facing the bed didn't help improve the comfort.

The food were mostly Filipino dishes that you can eat in any local restaurants. We were expecting better food for the price of 1100/head. A couple behind us were ordering a la carte and the waiter offered them to try the buffet at 950/head. That was a slap in the face because we were told in their Abreeza office we had to prepay the buffet, at 1100, in order to avail it, otherwise we have to go a la carte.

The beach where the Parola is the only decent beach. We tried the beach on the other island - it is wide and spacious but too rocky for us to enjoy fully. To make things worst, their employees were utilizing the jet ski constantly. So the beach smells like gas from time to time.

The pool was milky, but I wouldn't say dirty. It's spacious but not the best pool in Davao. The shuttle to/from the rooms is small with low headroom.

Overall, we love the view and the services of the staff. But our experience with the room and the food killed it. Will we come back? Probably, but just for the day tour. Once the Parola and the infinity pool is fixed, I don't think it will improve the experience and will just give Pearl Farm more reasons to increase the price.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Hanson C
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Been staying on Samal House on 22 May for 2 nights, just found that the food and everything is over price and over rated. Due to the renovation, there's only 1 pool to swim but it's so milky. When you look at the water, you can't even look thru the bottom of the pool as it's so milky and dirty. The beach is not suitable to swim too, there's too many coral chips and stones on the shore. The only think is there's many fishes and water is quite clear, but I can only look from outside the balcony thru the fishes. There’s only 1 temporary restaurant on the beach due to renovation, there’s not much food variety and sooo expensive. The buffet cost 950Php per person but not much variety also, I’m force to dine there as I can’t bring my own food. It’s so boring and nothing to do, feels like going back on the second day but I already paid the expensive rental for samal house so force to stay for another night. The resort is under renovation, they should reduce they price. To be fair, the staffs are friendly enough.

I’m so disappointed about the resort, to the price I paid I expected more than this. I’ll never go back there again.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you are sharing with a friend and like some privacy when using the bathroom, then don't stay in Mandaya villas - there are no doors. There is just one bathroom rail and no hooks to hang anything. Bring your own toiletries, the soaps and shampoo provided are the cheapest brands available.
The spa is very overpriced and the therapists are not professionally trained. The phone was ringing while I was being massaged and nobody answered so it went on and on. I had some reflexology and there was no water to wash my feet and no wet towels to wipe my back after the back massage. When I asked the therapist what parts of my body corresponded to the points on my feet, she didn't know - she had one year's experience of working and obviously very badly trained.
On the plus side - it is beautiful spot and very secluded, with crystal clear water. The buffet food was excellent with plenty of choice including good (unsweetened) bread and lots of fish. There was also good choice for vegetarians. Staff are friendly and helpful and rooms are beautifully presented and quiet, so a good chance to relax after the day's meetings. Also good team building activities organized by the staff. If some attention to detail was paid to the above criticisms, this is paradise.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 52 in Davao City
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Samal Island

Been to Pearl Farm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!