“Superbly Helpful Staff!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Samal Island
Makati, Philippines
“Superbly Helpful Staff!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed for only one day, but we were able to tour almost the whole place. Where most Samal resorts usually just had a boat tied to the jetty/dock, Pearl Farm has its own Marina with a pool, front desk/reception, cafe and native works shop. By that time, I knew I was in for a treat.

Overall: I'd come back here to relax and get pampered, but I think I'd have to save up a bit for it.

Pros:
- The staff was so helpful. They rarely said no to our requests (which were still within reason, of course). We asked to see one of each room type, and a very nice lady walked us through almost every one, including the gorgeous Malipano Villas. One of the cleaning ladies tried to hurry up her work just so we can see the Samal House (but we told her not to bother, and we moved on without seeing it). I wanted to take a walk along the beach but didn't want my coconut shake to get warm, so I gave it back to the restaurant to store in their fridge--requested this without a fuss from the waiter. We asked to be taken to Malipano Island (twice) and we were ferried across promptly.
- They had a raffle for everyone who arrived that day (I'm not sure if this is something they do everyday, though). I won a free 10-minute wakeboarding session. Yey! But the wakeboarding equipment was broken, so they just replaced it with a kayak that I can use for 2 hours. No complaints here, I love kayaks.
- Almost all the furnishings of the rooms are all-wood and polished immaculately. Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Earthenware jars in front of every room so we can wash off the sand from our feet.
- Yummy lunch buffet! I can tell that the veggies, fruits and squid were all fresh. Had to pay for the drinks, though, but since they were delicious, I didn't mind.

Cons:
- Insect problems at the restaurant: some ants got into the pineapple jam and bread basket in the buffet. Flies also got into the room where salads, cheeses and desserts were kept.
- Not much to do without shelling out more cash (the watersports like kayaks, wake-boarding, scuba diving, snorkeling, island hopping all cost extra, and in my opinion, the rates are a bit high). To remedy this, I'll bring my Frisbee or a volleyball during my next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HAnnah Lesley T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pasig
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just came back yesterday from this beautiful place. We spent two nights there, and those two nights were so different from my usual hustle and bustle that it feels a bit jarring to come back home to the usual.

The only thing taxing about the resort is getting there, since you need to take a boat, which means waiting for all the passengers to arrive. A flight after ours was delayed so we had to wait an extra 45 minutes for the rest to arrive. Luckily, they have a small deli at their lobby with really cheap but huge AND delicious sandwiches available (P200 on average -- roughly 4 US dollars). I also recommend the gambas and ripe mango shake.

Boat rides lose their novelty after 2 minutes but the seats are comfy enough to sleep on. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get there, but cool welcome drinks are waiting for you right when you arrive. The staff is very pleasant and accommodating, and always greet you when you see them.

Now to go to the Pros and Cons of actually staying there:

Pros:
+ Fantastic breakfast buffet, with lots of variety. You can ask for hot chocolate/coffee/tea too.
+ Very friendly staff, as I said.
+ Rooms have fantastic views, especially the Samal rooms, which are on stilts -- you're greeted with water right outside your balcony. Each room feels really homey and helps enhance the ambiance of the entire place.
+ Very peaceful and solitary. Ended up sleeping at 9 PM and waking up at 6 AM everyday and I felt great.
+ Beautiful beach with white sand.
+ There are little trams that take you wherever you want, and the resort itself isn't overly huge so you can walk to wherever you want to go anyway. The walk itself is very scenic.

Cons:
- Dinner buffet needs more variety.
- They discourage eating at the open restaurant when your clothes are wet. Maybe it's just me, but one of the best parts about resorts is getting to eat right after you come out of the beach. Doing it in reverse (eating a heavy meal -> swimming) doesn't feel as right.
- Bathrooms are weird. In the Samal rooms, one closet-sized space holds the toilet, and another closet-sized space holds the shower (which is literally just a shower), and in between those two is the sink. It's a bit much for claustrophobic people, and the shower room just has a bunch of racks that are placed much higher than my 5"0 self. It's also easy for your clothes to fall off the rack, so I don't know how they expect children to bathe, or platonic friends (in case you wanna leave your clothes in the room). That's my biggest complaint about the place.

Overall, though, I would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: The Samal rooms have the best view since it's at level with the water!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Snaro
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great value - but I got food poisoning from the buffet.

If your idea of a relaxing holiday involves sitting on a desert island, soaking up the sun, then this is for you.

Don't expect easy day-tripping to Davao. DO expect a stay that will cost next-to-nothing for a bungalow over the water.

Having heard about the 2001 incident here, I'm not sure if I'll return. And I didn't enjoy the food poisoning. But I did enjoy everything else about my stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We took the 8am, earliest boat schedule to Pearl Farm, and left their marina around 8:15am. Their marina wharf waiting venue is decent, with a pool, restaurant and a nice garden. Each guest is provided with complimentary bottled water on our way to the resort. Guests going to Pearl Farm were segregated into two: 1) Day Tour and 2) Check In.

Upon arrival, complimentary drinks were served and a 5 minute orientation of the facility was given at the receiving area. The receiving area has 2 sofas, chess area and as well as an area where their fish feeding is done.

We got the hilltop rooms (Balay 16 and 17). Going up was a steep climb and a good exercise for the young ones but not recommended for the elderly though, an electronic shuttle and van are available, in case.

The rooms were nice. Mattress, pillow and sleep quality is good. The usual amenities were provided: cable TV, aircon, refrigerator, mini bar, and safety deposit box – if you lose the key, they will charge US$ 100.

A common living room is provided overlooking the beach with lush garden below.

The food served were delicious, presentation was ok but quite expensive.

Their personnel were attentive and warm.

The facility has two swimming pools: 1) Main infinity pool is located near their Maranao restaurant, and 2) Mandaya pool.

They have 4 beach areas: 1) Samal Suite Beach Area – the main beach which is the best as the sand is powdery and near the feeding area so you get to see the fish, 2) Mandaya – much longer but quite rocky, 3) Malipano fronting the Pearl Farm receiving area – you need to take a 3 minute boat ride – nice blue green water but gets deep at certain parts, and 4) Malipano Villa side – longer stretch with nice corals , fish and starfish but looks murky during low tide.

To enjoy the facility, it is best to visit during week days and stay for at least 3 days.

We recommend this to couples, families and friends.

Room Tip: Balay 16 and 17 are they are spacious and nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank May M
Reviewed October 19, 2012

It was my second time to stay in Pearl Farm, but still, it never failed to surprise me.
It is worth the money you paid for. I love how the staff were very friendly and accomodating. The food was great and I enjoyed the movie night in Parola. I wish I coild back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Princessfeifei
Skien, Norway
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pear Farm is the perfect place for people to relax and unwind away from the hustle and bustle of the city life..

We stayed at Samal House, a stilt house perched above water level.. The room could need some modernization as some fixtures show age and deterioration like the shower knob... For 8,000 +++ PHP per night, the price is stiff. WIFI and internet is not available at the room.

Buffet at the Maranao Restaurant is OK on the first day but it can get tiring when you're there on a longer stay.. Price is a little stiff, portions are big but food presentation needs improvement... A live band is playing on some nights and if you're into the "belting genre" then this is for you... However, if you want to have a cozy dinner with your loved one and you don't hear each other, this totally spoils the whole dining experience.

The staff who stood out most was Aldrin.. He was polite, service minded and even turned down our tip!! He said that the resort had started to impose the no tipping policy but it seemed that some of the staff missed the memo!!!

Room Tip: If you want to bathe in a little more discreet surroundings, book a boat at the Parola that will tak...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I believe that Pearl Farm is the best resort in Davao. However, it didn't quite impress me. We paid for 2500 pesos for a day tour on a Friday. This included the boat transfer from marina, welcome drink, lunch buffet and use of facilities. We had ocular in the rooms and they were just ok. The lunch buffet had enough selections. Taste was... again, just ok.

Pearl Farm is also somewhat small. I and my friends all agreed that the place offers very few things to do and staying overnight might be boring.

The beach, by the way, is clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 52 in Davao City
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
Hof Gorei Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Samal Island

Been to Pearl Farm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!