“Beautiful! I will definitely recommend this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chema's by the Sea Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Chema's by the Sea Resort
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Samal Island
Quezon City, Philippines
“Beautiful! I will definitely recommend this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

At first, we were having second thoughts due to all negative comments here. But looking at the pictures, this is the place that my husband will very well approve of. He is very particular to the cleanliness and ambience of the place we go to so I booked the place for us for 3 nights and 4 days. And the resort did not disappoint us. Our cabana is homely and welcoming. We were greeted by nice and polite staffs and yes, we have our own butler. and as soon as we finished unpacking we went down to check the beach. But it was still low tide and they said the water will rise around 3 or 4pm so we sat down and relaxed at the beach side. We saw some maintenance, raking and cleaning the beach, removing corals.The place was very well maintained and clean with nice landscaping. My youngest son doesn't like beaches since he doesn't want his feet dirty but the beach in Chema's has white sands and very clear water that he enjoyed swimming as well. It was very private and the night was very relaxing. On our second day, since we have teenagers, we hopped on another beach to have some drinks and hear live band music. As soon as we arrived, my son said, "Mom, is this where we're going? its too crowded and the water is blurry, not as clear as Chema's." But we paid for the trip and tried to enjoy the crowd. We dipped for a swim and my, the corals wounded my son's feet we have to wear our slippers so our feet won"t get wounded. So we just showered and ate dinner and enjoyed the band playing and went back to our resort, It was good that we tried to go to other beaches and had our own personal experience and comparison. Chema's is heaven compared to other beaches.
We met the owner during our last night at the resort. He is quite a charmer and very nice and he treated us for a couple of beers. We learned he lives on the resort and even met his family. I understood why he doesn't like bringing in food, coz it will mean trash. That is why he kept their food at reasonable price. He maintains the place well, so guests should respect it. If you don't want clean and serene place, Chema's is not the one for you.

4 Thank trinap996

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Me and my family stayed at Chemas for 4 days and I must say we had a wondeful and relaxing time. The place was well maintained, clean and the food was reasonably priced. During our stay we also went to other beaches to swim, and I must say, the beach at Chemas was a lot different. It did not have any small corals, rocks which could get your feet wounded. It was just fine sands and clear water. It was really amazing! The service was good and the staff was courteous. We really enjoyed our stay at the resort, so for everyone looking for a nice time to bond with the family and is looking for a very nice place to stay in Samal Island, look no further, this resort is it! Given the chance, we will definitely go back to Chemas! Thank you very much for a very relaxing stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is our second time to stay at Chema's, this time to celebrate my son's grade school graduation, family bonding, and our last hurrah as we prepare to go back to Manila permanently after 4 years. Again, we enjoyed the Chema's. We got Cabana 2, which has 2 double beds. We stayed overnight, enjoyed the infinity pool and their small but very well maintained beachfront with its white sand.

The food was still on the expensive side, portion-wise, so be prepared to spend money on this (they still do not allow food to be brought in, except for snacks). Breakfast is 160.00/plate and they could probably make this more affordable. We spent a lot on the fruit juices but it was really refreshing, specially the calamansi shake.

I did not have trouble arranging our stay with the owner (he is still the same one), so I will speak for our own experience that he was pleasant and professional enough when I dealt with him, same as the resort staff.

We enjoyed the peace and quiet that Chema's had to offer, amidst that luscious green landscape that is so relaxing and calming.

Thank you again!

1 Thank Jane G
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family stayed at Chema's last March 25, 2013 for an overnight stay. I would recommend Chema's for couple's and small families. It offers a lovely landscaped resort with a nice small beach cove and infinity pool.
I heard it is under new management so we did not experience any bad service from the crew. Prices for food and drinks are fair. I like the spacious villas and the garden ambience. They have a Clean and private boat for transfers.

The thing that needs improvement:
1. Wifi is only available near the reception area
2. A/C is too small for the room. That's why it takes a while to cool the room.
3. No complimentary welcome drinks or bottled water.
4. Needs drying rack for the rooms.

Room Tip: pick one near the restaurant
Las Pinas, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Chema's is best for couples who wish to spend a quiet, relaxing time away from the crowd. My partner and I loved the cottages. Both the general lay out of the resort and the design of the rooms are so natural; they blend well with the natural beauty of Samal. It was our second visit and we are happy with the improvements in the facilities and service since our first visit 4 years ago. Having our own butler was a pleasant surprise! While Chema's does not offer a variety of sports facilities, which kids may want, it has a beautiful beach, a salt-water pool, comforting 60's- 80's music playing all day long by the beach, and spacious cottages. We stayed for a night and was offered a free round of beer by the owner. All in all, it was a quiet, relaxing visit. We would definitely stay here again in our future visits to Davao.

Room Tip: The cottage by the beach front has a beautiful view and really spacious with 1 King (or Queen?) bed...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maya051
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don’t really have a lot of time to write about the places I’ve been to, but after reading some of the negative reviews said about this resort (and to give back to the Trip Advisor community), it’s compelled me to write my first ever review on Trip Advisor.

I went to Chema’s just over a year ago as our first stop after Manila with my now-fiancé and another couple and we had an absolutely fantastic experience.

I admit, it wasn’t easy to make bookings to the place – but I ended up getting the email of the owner from FB and he arranged our stay there personally. The resort is on an island (Samal), so he got us to go to the pier of this hotel in Davao, and once there, he picked us up on a private boat and took us to the resort. The resort itself is breath-taking – the way the resort was designed looked very natural and actually complemented the tropical surroundings (rather than look cheesy or is generally an eyesore).

We had booked a ‘cabana’ room that was big enough for 4 adults. The rooms themselves were well maintained and we liked the style of the architecture (traditional Filipino).
After we settled in, we looked around the place and the girls wanted to go for a swim in the infinity pool. The owner approached us and checked in to make sure we were alright. He then bought us a few beers and gave us some information on the place and the island. We told him we wanted to see the bats and also go for a dive, and so he got his staff to arrange for motorbikes to take us to the caves and then got some people on the mainland to come the next day with diving equipment and instructors - all so that it was as easy as possible.

The place felt very exclusive – perfect for couples (and adults in general) and I think they cater for that very well. I see a lot of people complaining that they can’t bring food in themselves, but I don’t really see what the problem is with that: it is a resort and they do have their own restaurant, after all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluesTraveler_Yo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Every year end, Me and my wifes family go to samal island,davao for our year end gathering. after searching for a new place there we decided to try chema's. We called the resort asking them info on transfers. after being satisfied with their transfer rules, we booked three rooms for dec 30-31 thru agoda(2bedroom cabana,cabana and deluxe) to avoid the hassle of money transfer for the payment reservation. after everything is done the owner called to ask if we are pushing thru with the trip to which we replied that we have confirmed booking with agoda.

To our surprise he told us that he could not give us the deluxe room and insisted that we just squeeze ourselves in the two cabana. we are 10 adults and two babies so we didnt agree with it and insisted that everything is confirmed and paid thru agoda. well the arrogant replied to us is "why did we booked with agoda"......duhhh!!! He was firm that he will not give us the 3rd room so i just cancelled everything.

Stay off this resort if you want a hassle free vacation

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family