Chema's by the Sea Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Blue Waters Resort(Samal Island)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Grand Regal Hotel(Davao City)
View Hotel
Mahan Garden Resort(Samal Island)
Be-ing Suites(Davao City)
View Hotel
Alta Pension House(Davao City)
View Hotel
All reviewsdining tablewaterfront insularinfinity poolthe cottagesromantic getawaysalt waterbeach frontging gingring a bellgod blessfamily vacayfood serviceorder fooda bit priceyduring low tidefew metersclear water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Chema's is best for couples who wish to spend a quiet, relaxing time away from the crowd. My partner and I loved the cottages. Both the general lay out of the resort and the design of the rooms are so natural; they blend well with the natural beauty of Samal. It was our second visit and we are happy with the improvements in the facilities and service since our first visit 4 years ago. Having our own butler was a pleasant surprise! While Chema's does not offer a variety of sports facilities, which kids may want, it has a beautiful beach, a salt-water pool, comforting 60's- 80's music playing all day long by the beach, and spacious cottages. We stayed for a night and was offered a free round of beer by the owner. All in all, it was a quiet, relaxing visit. We would definitely stay here again in our future visits to Davao.

Room Tip: The cottage by the beach front has a beautiful view and really spacious with 1 King (or Queen?) bed. But the cottages a few meters uphill are provided with 2 queen beds -- it's great for a group of 3 or 4. All cottages have their own dining tables in the foyer where guests could take their meals.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maya051
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don’t really have a lot of time to write about the places I’ve been to, but after reading some of the negative reviews said about this resort (and to give back to the Trip Advisor community), it’s compelled me to write my first ever review on Trip Advisor.

I went to Chema’s just over a year ago as our first stop after Manila with my now-fiancé and another couple and we had an absolutely fantastic experience.

I admit, it wasn’t easy to make bookings to the place – but I ended up getting the email of the owner from FB and he arranged our stay there personally. The resort is on an island (Samal), so he got us to go to the pier of this hotel in Davao, and once there, he picked us up on a private boat and took us to the resort. The resort itself is breath-taking – the way the resort was designed looked very natural and actually complemented the tropical surroundings (rather than look cheesy or is generally an eyesore).

We had booked a ‘cabana’ room that was big enough for 4 adults. The rooms themselves were well maintained and we liked the style of the architecture (traditional Filipino).
After we settled in, we looked around the place and the girls wanted to go for a swim in the infinity pool. The owner approached us and checked in to make sure we were alright. He then bought us a few beers and gave us some information on the place and the island. We told him we wanted to see the bats and also go for a dive, and so he got his staff to arrange for motorbikes to take us to the caves and then got some people on the mainland to come the next day with diving equipment and instructors - all so that it was as easy as possible.

The place felt very exclusive – perfect for couples (and adults in general) and I think they cater for that very well. I see a lot of people complaining that they can’t bring food in themselves, but I don’t really see what the problem is with that: it is a resort and they do have their own restaurant, after all.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BluesTraveler_Yo
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Every year end, Me and my wifes family go to samal island,davao for our year end gathering. after searching for a new place there we decided to try chema's. We called the resort asking them info on transfers. after being satisfied with their transfer rules, we booked three rooms for dec 30-31 thru agoda(2bedroom cabana,cabana and deluxe) to avoid the hassle of money transfer for the payment reservation. after everything is done the owner called to ask if we are pushing thru with the trip to which we replied that we have confirmed booking with agoda.

To our surprise he told us that he could not give us the deluxe room and insisted that we just squeeze ourselves in the two cabana. we are 10 adults and two babies so we didnt agree with it and insisted that everything is confirmed and paid thru agoda. well the arrogant replied to us is "why did we booked with agoda"......duhhh!!! He was firm that he will not give us the 3rd room so i just cancelled everything.

Stay off this resort if you want a hassle free vacation

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Diver_ris
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have been here 4years ago, the place is beautiful but the staff and the owner is rude... It's like you are not welcome to their place. Every move cost money...food is not good...we promised not to go back. But just few days ago my mom booked us again so we went back, the place is deteriorated a lot of repairs, the place is dirty and the nature feel is gone because they do not use the same wood and nipa material anymore... One of the things they mentained are the staffs attitude not good food and surprise charging of table beside the beach... There are other resorts beside this one are far better.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Jojo B
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The rooms are really nice...many trees around the place...The first time i went there was with my husband. We had a really great time at the resort but we were very disappointed with the food. Food is very bad. Portions are too small for the price.. The second time we were there was with a big business group. Service was very poor. This resort definitely needs a training on customer service. I can recommend this to couples who just want privacy but willing to overlook the "food." Not a very nice place for business groups.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends