“A relaxing spot on the beach!”
Review of Gede Homestay

Gede Homestay
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights and really enjoyed myself. Gede and his family are wonderful people, happy to chat with you and teach you about the culture. The restaurant has a menu full of great food and you can hear the waves crashing from anywhere in the establishment. I stayed in the cheapest room (due to my budget) and it was clean and comfortable.
One word of advice, though, is bring your own wifi gadget--there is no computer available to use and no internet cafe within walking distance; I found this irritating the one time I needed to finalize something for later in my trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I came here after first trying Pupsa Rama and having them quote me TWICE the amount that was listed on Travelfish and in the guide book. Mr. Gede (pronounced g'day) has a lovely establishment with a garden and a restaurant right on the beach. Like, you literally step out of the front of the homestay and are standing on sand surrounded by beach chairs with the ocean fifteen meters in front of you. It's right around the corner from the Paramatour office; furthermore, Anturan is a smaller version of Kalibukbuk - and a little cheaper. I was able to negotiate the price for the room, which was large, bright, airy, and clean. It only had cold water, which wasn't a problem since the weather was so hot! I never felt pressured to do any activities (except from an Australian businessman who was a guest here) in the area. Breakfast is complimentary and you actually get a choice of what to eat! I did a fishing trip (recommended if you like to be in the middle of the ocean - quite relaxing) on one of the mornings I was here and although I didn't catch any fish, I still got to eat one of the fish that my guide / captain (?) caught. The people at the restaurants and bars in the area all hang out; head next door for a bonfire on the beach! I only stayed two nights, but wish I'd stayed more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Due to a tight schedule we only stayed one night at this nice guesthouse. It is run by Mr Gede himself. The bungalows are very clean and and spacious. Further, they offer delicous dinner at the magnificient beach front. If you are interested into dolfin watching just ask Mr Gede and he organises a beachfront pickup which is amazing. You get on board holding your fresh served coffee in one hand and the camera in the other.

Thanks Mr Gede for the nice chat in the evening and the nice stay at your place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank imthettraveller
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and paid 200,000Rp (US$21) per night for a basic room with A/C which we didn't need as it wasn't too hot, fan was just fine. The rooms and bathroom were clean and the bed comfortable.
Wifi is available, though as the router is in the restaurant, the rooms far from the restaurant can't get reception, if you like your wifi get a room close/r to the restaurant.
The food in the restaurant was excellent and they cater for vegetarians, (yes I'm a veghead). My girlfriend's not and she loved the Balinese syle chicken.
Mr Gede was very friendly and genuinely cared about everyones comfort. He also seems to have his finger in every tourist pie (in a good way) if you need transport, or to hire a motorcycle or harass dolphins he can organise it at competitive prices.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luke R
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for four nights and loved the location and the family. The rooms weren't anything to write home to mom about but for the price, you can't really ask for more. Mr. Gede and his family were very welcoming and helped arrange motorbike rentals for us as well as a fishing trip with Mr. Gede's brother, after which they fried the fish for us. It was fantastic.

Just a few steps from the water, near Singaraja and Lovina, surrounded by black sands and beautiful starry nights, I would definitely recommend Gede Homestay if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing retreat away from the busy tourist areas. I will miss chatting with Mr. Gede and listening to him play the gamelan with his grandkids. We had a great time and hope to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The family is great and I can recommend the Dolphin trip.
Despite this we decided not to stay longer after the first night. The rooms were not in good order and the bathroom smelled like sewer. The thing that made us leave most of all were bugs in the bed. My daughter saw and photographed them and stayed up all night. After seeing the photo I could no longer feel comfortable even though we were offered another room.
As said I think Mr Gede and his family are great, but I feel it is important to give a honest review, as I know I based my choice on the reviews that were so wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank nl_travelkids
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Four of us, a couple and 2 singles stayed at Gede's for 3 nights in Mid May, our 4th visit. The place is excellent and right on the beach. The staff and restaurant are great and the rooms are all that you could ask for at the price offered. The location is wonderful~ close to the early morning dolphin boats and night fishing events, the Buddhist Monastery, the Hot Springs, and Menjangan Island. It is an easy drive up to Pura Danu Lake Temple, GitGit waterfall and also the rice paddies of Pupuan. We will be back again and again!! Beach Bum Bill

Room Tip: Gede is building some new rooms 'upstairs' and the view should be amazing! The restaurants i...