“Beware: poor service, bad management and overpriced”
Review of Mangga Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bira
Mangga Lodge
Ranked #5 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Bira
Bali
“Beware: poor service, bad management and overpriced”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The nearby beach is quite nice but has lots of rubbish - cans, plastic bottles etc. The hotel is very expensive for what you get. The bathroom stank and the water in the shower didn't drain. Cheap aircon in the room didn't work very well - kept switching on and off. As for the food, it was tasteless and very very expensive. Also the management is not friendly. Far better value is to stay in Bira where rooms are a third of the price and you can get good food at one of the restaurants there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tempodulu

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Sanur, Indonesia
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I didn't stay here but I enjoyed few hours on its beach and I found a very lovely beach.
Coconut tree, 3 colors sea and sands just like flour.

I also tried their restaurants. Ice cream and pineapples pancake, kinda delicious

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

At first I create my booking trough booking.com with a status confirmed, but then when I call the hotel before I check in, they said that they don't have my reservation trough booking.com and the hotel was full booked until Mid November. Then I confirmed to booking.com and they said they already call the hotel but didn't get any response. As a hotel that already registered in an international system like booking.com, their management is terrible. And also the staff that picked up my phone was not nice and didn't answer what I'm asking about but just keep telling me that the hotel was full.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AzaliaSeptihani

Travelers are raving about these Bira hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

What an amazing place. Mangga lodge sits back from the empty white sandy beach and turquoise water. With palm trees all along the shoreline.
We dived at Mangga Lodge for 3 days and I wish we could have stayed longer . The currents can be quite strong but Elvis, the owner, is so knowledgeable about the area he can organise the dives to suit your experience.
On every dive we were joined by inquisitive white tip and black tip sharks .
I would recommend pre booking your diving with Elvis , as there are only a few dive centers in Bira and when we were there Elvis was the only one actually open.
We will return to Bira and definitely stay at Mangga lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dahab, Egypt
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did not stay at Mangga lodge but we did dive from there.
The owner Elvis really knows his stuff about the diving in this area which is a great bonus as the currents can be very strong and in all directions including down.
If he says you will see a shark resting on the sand at 15m you probably will see one.
It is best to book ahead for diving as they only have a limited amount of scuba gear and as they were at the time we were there the only dive center operating it saves being told you can't dive.
The diving is excellent and quite challenging with steep walls and as mentioned before strong currents. The upside of this is the amount of sharks you see. After 6 dives we had seen over thirty sharks, White tips and Black tips being the most common.
The beaches are straight out of a holiday brochure with bright white sand and leaning palm trees.
Bira is well off the beaten track and is a 5-6 hour drive from the airport at Makkassar but give yourself time to relax and dive while there and the journey is worth it.
We will definitely be back to see Elvis and next time stay at his Mangga lodge.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is a beautiful place to come for although you gotta travel a bit but it's worth your journey. If you love the sunlight, the beach, nature... This gotta be your paradise. Elvis - the owner is very helpful, knowledgable... The staffs are sweet... Fine, white sand beach and crystal clear water with very wealthy marine life...

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Mangga Lodge is simply great! The quiet and calm environment, the beautiful turquoise water and white beach right at the Lodge, the design of the lodge and of course the host Elvis, his manager (forgot his name) and the staff make this guesthouse to a unique experience. It's a bit off Bira village but I appreciated that a lot. If you need anything from the town, the staff will take you there with their pick-up van. The diving in Bira is absolutely amazing, although I think it's better for experienced divers as there can be strong currents. I enjoyed the diving experience a lot though and on the way back from the dive site you can relax on the boat.
I can definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: If the bungalows are available, I would go for them.