The Damai(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$199
$153
$380
$96
Agoda.com
The Lovina(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$231
$99
Lilin Lovina Beach Hotel(Kaliasem)(Great Value!)
$63
$51
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $59/night.

Rambutan Boutique Hotel(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$21
Bali Paradise Hotel Boutique Resort(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$69
$51
Priceline
Starlight Restaurant & Bungalows(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$61
$44
Priceline
Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa(Lovina Beach)(Great Value!)
$59
$42
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $64/night.

$52
$40
Priceline
All reviewssmall pooldolphin tourair conking bedfishing boatsbeach sellerssmall hoteldolphin watchwonderful staygusnyomansandyoceanbalivilladolphinsbeachside
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The Good:
+ The owners sent their driver to pick us up at the airport in Denpasar. It cost 400.000 Rupiah. He was a good, safe driver.
+ It is right on the beach.
+ The food was good (ate 2 meals there).
+ Nice views for sunsets!
+ Owners greeted us and were friendly.
+ Room came with mosquito nets and mosquito coils and bug spray--you will need them all.

The Not-So-Good:
+ The family room was set up very poorly. Only one door to leave from, which meant going through that room whenever you need to leave. The OTHER room had the bathroom, which meant going through that room for the toilet. So it did not really give privacy.
+ The bed...we actually both rolled to the middle when we got on it! Granted, I'm heavy, but this has only happened before on an air mattress!
+ The beach was DIRTY. We had hoped to play on the sand with our daughter, but even taking a walk meant walking through trash, wrappers, broken glass, etc. It's not a place to enjoy a beach (other than looking at the sunset from the restaurant).
+ The bricks/ground were very slick with mud and moss. I was worried our daughter was going to slip and land on her head.
+ The pool was very small and set into the ground, making it dangerous for young children.
+ We set up our trip beforehand and asked for the price per night. Our room was quoted at 440.000 Rupiah (approx. $44 USD). When we got there, we noticed the listed price for our room was only 350.000 Rupiah. I find it quite rude when hotels quote a higher price than they truly charge. (We did have to pay the 440.000)
+ The room really was bare bones. Nothing luxurious about it. It doesn't make it much of a vacation when the rooms are in worse shape than your own home (holes in paint, loose hinges, NO HOT WATER, etc).
+ The "Open Air" bathroom meant a huge 4x6 foot hole in the wall at head-level.
+ We weren't sure who to pay for the driver. The driver wanted to be paid himself, and asked us several times for the money. We didn't know if we were supposed to pay him or the hotel and didn't want to pay the wrong person, so we waited until Sandy came at dinner time. It ended up that we were supposed to pay the driver, so we promptly did. That created a bit of stress for us, as we didn't want to hand over so much money to the driver personally if we weren't supposed to.

+++++++++++++++++++++
I've tried to be really fair with this review. I have no clue why it has so many stars on tripadvisor (which is the reason we chose it). We took a bemo (local transport/mini bus) down the road the 2nd morning we were in Lovina and found a travel agent who helped us find a more suitable hotel. He even drove us back to Villa Agung in his car and explained to the owners (his friends) that the accommodations weren't working out for us and asked them to help us get to another hotel (suitcases and a baby!).

Well, they didn't. We toted our suitcases and baby in a stroller out to the road and got another minibus. We ended up walking almost a kilometer with all of our luggage before making it to our new hotel. Granted, I do understand we should in no way expect a hotel to transport us to another hotel, but it would have left a better taste in our mouths if they had helped us out like the travel agent/their friend had asked them to.

I'd also like to add that we brought our nanny with us (a new experience living in Indonesia is having a nanny for less than $100/month--we're not rich, just teachers who need child care). We had also chosen Villa Agung because they offered free accommodation for our nanny. It ended up being their storage area. I peeked inside and yes, it did have 2 twin beds and a mandi (type of Indonesian bath), but it also had all their storage items like a vacuum cleaner, boxes, bags full of stuff, etc. I was not comfortable having our nanny in basically a large "storage closet" which was another reason we chose to leave.

We ended up staying at Suma, which had a beautiful pool our daughter couldn't fall into, pathways for her to walk around on, flowers for her to point at, and a cleaner/better room for us to enjoy--all for less money, too.

Hopefully I have been honest and precise in my review. I would never recommend this hotel, after seeing others in the area and knowing what they offer and at what prices. While Gus and Sandy were great with communication via e-mail and are nice people, this type of accommodation does not equal vacation for us, and would imagine it wouldn't for the vast majority of travelers.

(Pictures to come)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank TeachingCouple
villaagung, Owner at Villa Agung Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

What can I say? I think our reputation must stand with all of our really happy guests who have previously written their reviews. To answer some of these criticisms. March is rainy season and the rivers on either side of our beach swell and dump their trash on the beach. Our beach is cleaned every day. As our guests will attest, we would never leave people to struggle with luggage and a baby as we do all we can to help our guests get around. The money changer is a relative of Suma Hotel and brought the guests back to our hotel in his car, assuring us that he would arrange transport for them to his relative's hotel and no request was ever made for help.
As for the FREE accommodation for their pembantu (nanny), we are currently renovating the upstairs rooms and so we had to store items in the large cottage where we offered the nanny accommodation.
Many families have stayed in our family rooms and have been quite content with the layout. Just read the reviews! Toddlers have stayed here with no complaints from parents, who just keep their eyes open. This comes with toddler territory. There are few hotels in Bali that have gated pools.
As for overcharging, we have just installed an extra air conditioner for the family rooms and the price has gone up Rp 50 000. My staff had not yet changed the price on their board and this is in an area off limits to guests anyway.
It greatly saddens me to have such scathing remarks as my staff are wonderful and the hotel is spotlessly clean. Be your own judge. Thanks for your understanding. Sandy Bauman

Reviewed March 14, 2010

I was travelling to a wedding in Lovina with two teenage girls. We had the perfect family room. The staff were sensational - finding an earring that I had lost, always with a smile. Gus took us into town for a drive when he was going in for groceries, and also took us to an orphanage with all the food and clothing we had bought. We relaxed, read a book upstairs in the library. A special thanks to Nyomen who took us to his village and showed us the house he is building. It is taking a while (because he buys the materials when he can afford them - so far 12 years), but when he has finished it will be fabulous. The girls loved the Nasi goreng and we did eat there a few nights. I would highly recommend this Villa as a lovely, friendly, safe, clean place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AustraliaDebra
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I was looking forward to this place due to all the great reviews. Firstly we arrived at the villa late around midnight. As I'm pregnant, I requested for an air conditioned room with king or double bed. When we arrived, the a/c doesn't work and they put two single beds together. There were other rooms available with double beds next door unoccupied and we were the only other guests other than a german family downstairs. Since it was so late and there wasn't anyone except the watchman, we couldn't say anything. Breakfast was ok, it was watermelon and toast. But the minute we sat down, we were harassed by hawkers on the beach. It was definitely low season as the hawkers stayed for hours eventhough we said we weren't interested. We had to go upstairs just to get away from them and the place hasn't been cleaned for years despite a full staff and few guests. We were glad to move on to the next place which was so much better and better value. The Anaheim Villas Lake Buyan. There are some good things eg: the owner Sandy was very responsive on email, the car and driver she arranged was good and the manager running the place was helpful, he took us to a taxi who could take us to our next destination. However, I don't feel that the beach was that great and the constant harassment isn't what we were looking for in a holiday.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunshine072010
villaagung, owner at Villa Agung Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Arriving at midnight with no notice of late arrival or special requests, the security staff nevertheless would have given theguests the remote for the air conditioning. They only had to ask. As we are renovating the hotel, the other rooms they refer to were under construction! NO ONE has ever complained about our breakfast, which is complimentary and the quality of home baked food is quite exceptional amongst similarly priced hotels. We apologise for beach vendors but we have no control over them, despite many complaints by us to the relevant hotel authorities.

Reviewed December 29, 2009

I could not find much info about this resort on the internet. I booked it for the good price it offers. Upon arrival, my friends and I were surprised with the condition of the resort. It was clean, comfortable; and the staff is hospitable!

The breakfast was the best I had in Bali!
Will definitely stay here again if I go to Lovina again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2009

The hosts Sandy and Gus have been wonderful. That sweet mix of British elegance and American entrepreneurship is a perfect ingredient for a nice stay in north Bali. We had our little 18 months kid with us and the 3 of us loved the place. The terrace on the beach is lovely, the cooking is great and it's good to be a little outside downtown Lovina - it's calm. They had an extra bed for the little boy, cool.
If you have the chance to take a drink with Sandy and Gus at 6pm and watch the sunset, you will know exactly what we are talking about : it's a state of mind.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family