“Lovely cooking class, delicious meals!”
Review of Warung Jegeg

Warung Jegeg
Ranked #6 of 78 Restaurants in Lovina Beach
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Informal dining of delicious BALINESE INDONESIAN and WESTERN FOOD at any time of the day, from 8am to 10pm. We provide takeout and delivery as well. Our speciality is a BALINESE COOKING CLASS with WAYAN!
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My friend stopped by Wayan's sweet restaurant one evening while exploring and brought me back the next day for a cooking class. Wayan herself is a warm soul with a really lovely, casual attitude about cooking. We joined her at 8:30 am for a trip to the local market, just a short walk down the street. We had picked out our menu the night before and she had the shopping list ready. We wandered the market and she selected the ingredients, as well as a tasty breakfast of savory yellow rice, which we enjoyed back at the restaurant with kopi Bali (Balinese-style coffee). We returned later in the day to prepare the four-dish dinner we had selected earlier (we each had two dishes, and could pick more for a bit more money - but two dishes more than feeds one person - and four dishes between two was a pretty generous serve). We cooked up our dishes together - she had mostly prepped the ingredients - we just had a little dicing and grating to do, and then came the cooking, which involved grilling (satay) and sauteeing (all the other dishes). There were some interesting techniques she used to steam the noodles and use minimal pots - I learned a lot watching her. I'd say the dishes we picked - Mee Goreng, Satay Babi Bumbu Bali (pork satay with Balinese sauce), Ayam Kcap (steamed chicken in sweet sauce - a big hit!) and Tempeh Curry - were fairly simple, so it was overall more fun than challenging for me. But it opened some things up for my friend, and I think he might just feel more confident about trying new dishes. It's a great class for beginners to learn some basic techniques and great for a foodie to see an accomplished cook and how she moves around the kitchen and her hands-on techniques. I saw just how hot the wok had to be to do what she did (my weakness is daring to let the wok get THAT hot) and watching her handling of the food. Watching someone chop vegetables can be a great learning experience, if you watch closely! I recommend both cooking classes and just enjoying a meal or two there and chatting with the lovely Wayan.

4  Thank katushka65

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My friend found this lovely warung and the most beautiful, warm and welcoming host Wayan completely randomly! Later on we had a lot of authentic and super tasty meals and ended cooking ourselves on the other day!
If in Lovina, make sure you will not miss the delightfull tastes of Balines cuisine and learning some tricks of cooking from the most amazing Wayan and her team & family!
Many thanks Wayan and take care!!

3  Thank Grikis
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I visited warung Jegeg for the first tim in 2010 and I did some cooking with Waynan, the owner if the place. She is so sweet!!!We had a delicious meal that night.
Last october I was in Lovina again and I really wanted to visite Wayan again. She welcomed us so friendly and we had a very nice meal over there.
Really pure Indonesian food in a simple, cosy warung!! Lots of compliments to Wayan and her daughters!!

5  Thank Lin2402
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is vey nice little restaurant well worth the visit. The staff is very very friendly and helpfull and the food is really good. We already came for a second time now and we still like it. The restaurant is a little hard to spot from the road. But its situated rit on the main road in lovina, not far from the main atm's and than a 100 meters in the direction of where the traffic lights are. Wel worth a visit if you like indonesian food that is prepared with love and dedication.

4  Thank Martin S
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've been to this beautiful tiny restaurant on two occasions, and whenever I'll have the chance in the future, I won't miss Wayan's Pepes Ikan, which she serves so friendly. She makes this average place special through her food and familiarity.

5  Thank rockubbo