“Far from Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Brisbane, Australia
“Far from Luxury”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had three days at the Lovina and found it to be, in general, a disappointment.

From the other reviews I thought that a stay here would be lovely. To start with the reception staff are really sweet and very welcoming. They provided a grand overview of the hotel and it's facilities and I was shown to my room.

I stayed in a mountain view platignum which was, like the rest of the hotel, lacking in warmth and beige. The plunge pool was not much bigger than a bath tub so don't be fooled. The outdoor bathroom is lovely with two lovely seats under a thatched umbrella. Complimentary shampoo etc was much appreciated. The housekeepers were wonderful, however the advised turndown service never happened during my stay. The pool was well maintained.

There isn't an awful lot to choose from at Lovina in terms of food and being a solo traveller I was inclined to eat at the hotel. The breakfast was generous. The food was just awful at the three meals I had at the beach and main restaurants. On two occasions the meals that I received were not as described on the menu - when an attempt was made to discuss this discrepancy with the waiter it seemed English comprehension was not there - meal was advertised with polenta - came with thin layer of potato - next dinner was shown on the menu as being accompanied by sweet potato and black pepper sauce - came with chips and ketchup - when you consider what the meals and beverages cost then there is cause for concern. A soda water cost 21000 Rph. with the cost in the local mini mart can be less than a quarter of this the hotel charge is significantly over the top.

The restaurants are beautifully situated - either close to the sand or with views of the rice paddies.

I asked for a dress to be cleaned which cost $8 and the linen dress came back folded in a plastic wrap - no iron in the room so basically I couldn't wear it as it looked like patchwork when unwrapped - further the dress was torn at the sleeve. Don't risk the laundry.

The gardens are some of the best I have seen in my many trips to Bali and I took some amazing shots.

My last comment would be that the mountain views are glorious. If you do have a trip to The Lovina and want one of the mountain view rooms I would suggest not the platinum as your view is a concrete wall on the other side of the pool - better off in one of the rooms on the floor above where the balcony would afford an amazing view of the rice paddies and the mountains.

I won't go back to the Lovina, it appears to have lots of outward show eg the gardens, rice fields, but the building are just like large concrete boxes and the rooms lack warmth - the food is awful and the staff, while really lovely and friendly, need more English and the menu certainly needs to be explained to those serving in the restaurant. If there is a menu change, discuss this with the hotel guest - don't just turn up with a plate which doesn't contain what the menu shows. Prices need to be reviewed across the board, costs in this hotel are way over the top.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank sophieF8951
Thelovina, General Manager at The Lovina, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Shopie,

Thank you for this feedback.
Most of our staff come from the local village without having a hospitality background.
We are giving them training including an English course program to improve their skills.
Your comments are of great value for us to use in improving our standards and quality of service in all areas of the resort, particularly in the restaurants.

Our laundry is outsourced and we are looking into the issues you mentioned. Irons are available from housekeeping on request.
We sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Best regards,
The Lovina -Bali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

On the north coast, away from much of the hustle & bustle of the south, this area and The Lovina Resort offered a most relaxing holiday. The accomodation was excellent, the staff were the most friendly and accommodating I have ever experienced in all my past travels throughout asia. The spa and restaurant were also first class. I would recommend this resort to anyone considering a trip to Bali, particularly those who prefer a quiter part of the island.

Room Tip: The villas are great and offer a private pool to relax in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Paradise Island, New Providence Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

On the one hand it's nice to see such a luxurious hotel in Lovina, on the other hand.. if this is a sign of what's about to come (especially when the northern airport will be there), i'm afraid Lovina will be the next Kuta in some decades..

It's in an OK location, 10 min walk to the center.. But if you are very tired and don't want to walk far (or if it's raining) there's nothing really next door to eat your dinner for example..

I stayed at their garden villa for a small week.. Everything about the place tells you it's new.. I had a good time staying there, but considering their own proposition as a luxurious resort I have to be critical..

The good:
- Staff is very well trained, polite and keen to give you the best service possible.. Even to the point that up to 2 times they wanted to clean my room and change bed sheets for the second time that day :)
- Very big pool, plenty of free lounge chairs
- Breakfast portions are enormous.. The indonesian breakfast was even more than I would normally eat for diner.. (so most days, i skipped lunch..)
- Villa was just perfect.,. Private, well fitted, nice design.. Except for the lighting (see below)
- Spa was great, good massages and a nice herbal tea when you're finished

The bad:
- Food is OK, but far from great.. Considering the price and their target audience I was expecting far better taste and quality.
- Lighting in villa livingroom was bad.. Either dark, bright or very bright..
- The villa contained a double door american fridge, but was stocked with goods you'll normally find in a minibar
- They have a nice fitness setup, but it was located in a standard room.. which felt pretty cramped.. more than 2 users would mean a crowd.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank NLIvor
Thelovina, General Manager at The Lovina, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind review. Regarding your comments of housekeeping cleaning your room 2 times a day - in addition to daily room cleaning, our hotel offers a turn down service in the evening. This isn't a service that all hotels offer. We will turn down your bed, tidy your room and prepare it for sleeping.
As a new hotel, we are still in the process of improving the quality of our food and other services.

We look forward to welcoming you back at THE LOVINA very soon.

Warm regards from THE LOVINA, BALI
Montreal, Québec, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went for supper at the new lovina beach resort the food was ok but not the best we have had,the location is picture perfect great pool and nice bar terrasse on beach go for the sunset!the sevice is top and the hotel seems nice enough without being great to my point of view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SUEBIDOUX
Dear Suebidoux,

Thank you for your kind review.
Being a new resort ,we are continually trying to improve our standards in all areas.

Warm regards from THE LOVINA,BALI
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Good
Well designed hotel, superb service staff (to both foreigners AND natives like myself) with genuine friendliness, nice spacious rooms, clean beach, great little bar by the pool. Peace and quiet.

The Bad
Nothing really...

Conclusion
As a native of Singaraja, we have been waiting for hotels like this. You can tell it was designed and run by people who know what makes a great hotel. From the layout to the service to the marketing - 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at The Lovina last year and found it to be a great place to base our north Bali experience from. Had I known north Bali had so much to offer, we would've headed north years ago. The most memorable experience for myself was leaving my wife at the markets and then going out with a local fisherman who sorted me out in the best fishing grounds, which happened to be straight off lovina beach. On our way out, I couldn't believe that we saw a pod of killer whales who followed us for 200 or so metres. I was lucky enough to catch a good-sized yellowfin tuna, which was hastily taken back and cooked by the head chef at The Lovina. Meeting up with my wife at the end of the day, she told me that the staff at The Lovina had told her to go to the hot springs and relax in the tranquil waters that they have to offer, which she found to be very rewarding after a long session at the markets. I may have caught a tuna, but she managed to find some great antique Balinese artifacts, which look great in our house (definitely the catch of the day!). I have to say that my stay at The Lovina was of a standard that I don't think you will find anywhere in the south of Bali. Our rooms were spacious, the food was fantastic and the staff couldn't have been more helpful with anything we needed, be it about the resort or the wealth of local knowledge and sights throughout the north of Bali. Finally, we were wrapped to find a variety of bars where we could enjoy a dance and a nice cold beer. My wife has already booked to go back to The Lovina at the end of this year.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Paxto
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

An incredible, relaxing and tranquil experience staying at The Lovina, in Lovina north of Bali, Indonesia. The water aspect of the aqua spa over flowing into the large glassy pool over looking the ocean was picturesque and calming whilstthe available water activities on the beach, dolphin spotting and snorkling with tropical fish was exciting and refreshing. The service was consistantly outstanding and I was taken back by the beautiful surroundings like Lovina's natural rice fields of the brightest green and sculpture like mountains in the distance viewable from the second floor of the open spaced restaurant on site making for the perfect backdrop over dinner. The stay is highly recommendable.

Room Tip: It was enjoyable waking up to the ocean outside your bedroom door and only a few footsteps to a morn...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family