“Great Bali alternative vacation”
Review of The Lovina

The Lovina
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Reviewed December 19, 2012

was travelling by car to explore to north of Bali and was by chance getting to The Lovina since this new hotel was advertised along the road. What a surprise to find an international luxury resort in Lovina , a property which can easily compete with the best in south Bali. Great Villas and Suites, gardens, pools and beach. Excellent and great service and the cleanest of any hotel so far seen in Bali. We had our best sleep for a long time in Bali. We would never have expected such a beautiful facility in Lovina. The downtown Lovina felt like Kuta 30 year's ago, but great bars and pubs with better life music than in the south of the island, nice small restaurants with half the prices than in Seminyak or Nusa Dua, great Dolphine watching in the mornings and only one hour to Handara Golf where we enjoyed a cool temperature on the Golf Course about 1200m above sea level. A great alternative vacation with a phantastic high class hotel to enjoy this pleasant and peaceful part o Bali.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite facing pool and sea or Terrace Villa with sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael_KJakarta

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Hey Travel-Forum,

during my vacation in Bali I stayed in The Lovina for 2 nights. Since the owner asked me to write a review, here's my opinion on that hotel:

I started my Bali trip in Kuta, a very touristic area in Bali, since it was close to the airport. Already on the first day I was a bit annoyed by the crowded village with all its hasslers. Since I had no further bookings done then, I decided on short notice to go to Gili Trawangan and then to the Northern shore of Bali. Due to various travel guides on the internet and also the reviews here on Tripadvisor I decided to go to Lovina (village) and The Lovina (hotel) in particular. Why? - I just wanted to have some really relaxing days and enjoy the rather untouched scenery here in the Northern part. Both expectations were perfectly fulfilled.

With regard to the village I'd like to say that it follows the simple structure as you can see it oftentimes in Bali -- one road (in this case the costal road) with various shops, warungs (little local restaurants) and a few souvenir shops on both sides. Lovina itself offers only some basic options. You should definitely avoid Lovina if your main target is to go out partying / meeting people. I have to admit that I travelled there during off peak season, though I can't imagine that party night life will start to pulsate there during peak season. So, no party but very quiet place...

The hotel itself is directly located at the sea and features an own beach. From the main road it's just a 5 min walk to arrive at the receiption. Upon arrival I was warmly welcomed and immediately led to my room. Though I booked a mountain view room, I was upgraded to a generously designed room with beach view (I don't know the reason for the upgrade, but in such occasions one usually accepts without many questions...). Check-In was done in the room after showing me around. The term room is actually an understatement, it's rather a small appartment consisting of a patio towards pool, the living room area, the kitchen (!) area and the sleeping room with adjacent bathroom. Sleeping and living is separated with sliding glass doors, sleeping and bath wasn't separated at all. Only the shower and the toilet were hidden behind a wall but not really separated by a door. AC is only available in the sleeping room, in the other areas there are ceiling fans.

The public areas comprise a really nice pool with pool bar, the beach (already mentioned), a restaurant (for breakfast/lunch/dinner/room service), a gym and a spa -- perfect preconditions for a relaxing time :-)

Upon arrival I asked some staff about any recommendations what to do. Foremost I got the tipp to go on a dolphin tour. Although I had heard mixed opinions on that, I decided to give it a try since the price didn't scare me off (IDR 150.000 net). The tour started the next morning at 0600 and lasted for approx. 1,5 hrs. I was really happy having chosen this tour -- we were really lucky and had 6-7 encounters with dolphins; definitely a nice way to start the day :-)

Unfortunately, after returning there was a break down of the water supply and I couldn't shower. When on vacations those kind of happenings usually don't bother me that much, that's why I directly went for breakfast. There I met Robert, the owner, who shortly explained what happened and apologized for the inconveniences. Without being asked he offered a free massage in the spa in order to compensate -- I didn't expect but, of course, accepted this IMO generous offer...

Furthermore, Robert also helped me with planning a tour to see the surrounding area; he organised a driver for good money and recommended some sights (water fall, moutain lakes, hot springs) -- and I perfectly enjoyed this afternoon because it was excatly the way I expected holidays and sightseeing to be...

Some final words on the staff -- they are really, really friendly and charming, trying always to make the stay as comfortable as possible. They are not intrusive, but always there when needed, be it at breakfast, at the pool bar, at house keeping, ...
With regard to the pricing, of course it is not the price as a budget hostel offers, but you also receive way more service. For the food and beverages I'd say it's European level and hence IMO not overpriced (but of course that depends on the angle...)

Conclusion: I totally recommend this hotel if you are into a couple of relaxing days in a first class service environment :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alexander J
Thelovina, General Manager at The Lovina, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Mr Alexander

Thank you so much for your most favourable review on our beautiful new beach resort THE LOVINA in North Bali.

You mentioned correctly that the living-room of Suite B8 has no AirCon. Actually, all 66 Villas and Suites at THE LOVINA are fully air-conditioned; only B8’s living-room is not … yet. We had some technical problems when installing the device, an issue which is now solved. Very soon also B8 will be completely air-conditioned 

Once more, dear Mr Alexander, thank you very much for your input and your encouraging review. And I hope to welcome you at THE LOVINA again very soon.

Reiner Volkmann
gm@thelovinabali.com

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of Seminyak, My wife and I stayed at the Lovina for 2 nights and loved every minute of our stay. The town of Lovina Beach was exactly what we were after, a lovely and quiet place, with little bars and restaurants in the main part of town, it had us thinking of the way Bali may have been years ago.

The resort itself was amazing. Situated only a few steps from a beautiful and huge pool or the tranquil beach, our villa was just superb, with 2 large, very clean bedrooms, a kitchen and nice veranda area which made for some very relaxing afternoons, made even better by the cold beer and great cocktails from the pool bar. The grounds of the resort are very picturesque with lovely gardens and a nice view of the mountains; the buildings themselves are also stunning.

The service at the Lovina was excellent, with lots of friendly smiles from the team and they really went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. This was especially the case for the on-site day spa which my wife frequented for daily massages which she said were out of this world. The fitness centre was a great setup as well.

We loved our stay at the Lovina and can’t wait to return one day soon. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just stayed 4 nights 5 days at this fantastic new resort at Lovina with my bettter half and as we travel alot and stay in lots of different accom we could not believe the quality , overall set up , clean , new and the general attitude of all around, had great bar staff on the new clean blue beach pool as a draw card. on the beach dining with the dolphins is pretty good.
Food good , cold beer all fantastic , go and have a look you will not be dissapointed. All class accom.
Murf and Annie .

Room Tip: pool room is great
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have been in the tourism industry for longer than I can remember! and in all those years I don’t think I have stayed in newly opened resort as good, sure the staff need a bit more experience, but they are pleasant and trying hard to get everything right, which in itself is a great experience. The grounds , accommodation, pools and the activities a right up there with the best and its really very very good. North Bali was a bit of a gamble for us have spent time in Kuta and nusa dua on past stays, but North Bali is currently well keep secret, a untouched paradise really !!. I can say nothing more, other give this place a try, you will be delighted. Its Bali of old and without crowds and the slight over hill pace of bali as we know it now

Room Tip: Terrace Villa with Private Pool
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2012

On our arrival we were greeted by the friendly staff and were made to feel very welcome. The next great experience was when we were shown to our room - five star quality for a three star price! Fantastic brand new resort!! The peace and tranquility was just what we needed, with the pool and beach bar ideal for chilling out overlooking the beach. Perfect for sunsets, the view from our balacony was stunning.. A real surprise was the dolphins, in fact this is a must do! The resort arranged our trip and was hassle free. The town of Lovina was also a nice suprise, just like Kuta was in the early 80's still unspoilt and without the hawkers. The resort was spotless and the staff were very efficient and friendly.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms or garden room with private plunge pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012

On my arrival at the Lovina all the staffs warmly welcome and greeted very nicely I feel like coming home at the time.
I just gave my ID then they proceed my chek in – in the room. I Choose the room that facing the pool and the beach, what a view ! The Lovina located in the middle of beautiful views ! From my balcony I can see the pool and the BEAUTIFUL BEACH ! and when i open my front door, I can see BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAINS ! what a Heavenly Places !!! and what a Life !!!!
Then I came to my Super Sexy room, they designed it verrrryy well ! its feel like in the home of full of luxurious ! The cool towel and welcome drinks also canape is ready in the room ! staffs escorted me to the room is very nice and very helpful.
The food is 5 star ! Appearance and the taste is perfect ! I always take my lunch at the table that beside the beach. It feels like a super star !
Feels like 3 days stayed in the Lovina is not enough !
From Sunrise to Sunset from your balcony view is SUPER ! And every time you open the front door, you can see MOUNTAINS is SUPER !
Breakfast in the Lovina was probably the best I have ever had, there was so much to choose from. The drinks, the bakery, fruits, it must been world class as I have never ate so much for breakfast before. It's like delicious doesn't make any sense anymore.
This is just the right place to laying the sun, swimming and visiting beach. The place for relaxing and the atmosphere is Best !
About 10 minutes walk then you can find bars, supermarket, shops.
On the second day, i was went to middle of the beach to see the dolphins it will be take about 40 minutes to go by boat. It was save and its worthy. Best experience of my life !!!! to see hundreds of Doplhins that swim and jumps just in front of you ! I Love Lovina and I Love BALI ! and i Love the LOVINA ! nothing to say !
All the staff gave 5 star service, everyone is perfectly professional !!! especially Jeremy and Liza. They very professional, very helpful in everything that i need. make my stay so perfect !
I can say it was no where near the quality of the Lovina. If I ever come back to Bali in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Lovina again.

Room Tip: choose room that facing pool and beach, its SUPER
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo