“Beautiful building with a bad service, such a pity!”

Rambutan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Lovina Beach
Brussels, Belgium
“Beautiful building with a bad service, such a pity!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you believe Bali is the paradise of smile and things made with love (as actually it is!), this hotel is not for you!
Beautiful building with a bad service, such a pity: you are constantly reminded to pay everything; food is expensive and no fresh; very small breakfast with no buffet available.
It seems like there is no passion in the customer service, except for the driver we had.
Cleaning service is ok, but you can have a funny dinner looking to the mouse that suddenly appears on the counter!
Outside agents for tours are recommended as cheaper than the same service organised by the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angelini S
Richard H, Owner at Rambutan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Am sorry you did not like our service. I have been running Rambutan with my wife for 24 years now and we know the importance of friendly service. The great thing is this is so easy to teach our staff, as Balinese are naturally very friendly and smiling people. Most people who review our place are happy with our service. You say you are constantly reminded to pay for everything, which is funny considering we actually ask our guest to place everything on the bill and pay only once when you leave. You also say our restaurant is expensive, well I would like to point out a few examples: fish of the day is USD6.00, a whole duck to serve two people (takes 5 hours to prepare) cost USD15.00 a soft drink costs 70. Cents a fresh fruit juice costs USD1.40, so hardly expensive. One thing you are accurate about, prices for tours and transport is cheaper outside the hotel, which I think you would find just about anywhere in Bali but remember the advantage of ordering from a hotel, is the hotel has to be responsible and answer to any problem you might have with a bad driver and as you point out also correctly our driver gave you good service. I notice this is your first ever review…….. so maybe something has upset you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for just one night.
Great location close to loads of restaurants, bars and massage places.
Beautiful pools and lots of lounges but pool towels really need to be looked at by management. .small and thin.
Room was nice and spacious and very clean.
Drinks and food ok but no bargain which isn't really a problem as I said loads of restaurants and bars on your doorstop. We had some cake from the restaurant one evening and my husband really believed his had been defrosted in a microwave...very cold in the middle and warm on the outside.
We had stayed at another hotel about a 15 minute walk from town for the four previous nights and paid half of what we paid at the Rambutan for a comparable room...and room service and drinks were cheaper and better.
Having said all that....the resort really was pretty with duck ponds and lovely gardens and I can certainly recommend this resort to anyone wanting to be near the action in a peaceful and quiet location. The negatives in this review are really for the management to take onboard and hopefully rectify (particularly the pool towels)

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your review and also for pointing out a few things to help us improve our place. We are glad you enjoyed our place and hopefully come back one day.
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are an architecture appreciate lover / natural lover, you should try this hotel. I guess the owner paid the effort very much on the architecture design. First say about the room. The room is spacious but I will claim that the bed is quite small (for a couple with a baby). The toilet is nicely design, even they spare the towels if you are going to swim.
The garden is special, they spare a small playground there and even they have a small house at the tree. You can climb up to have a sit. It is very relaxing.
If you like dog, the owner has two very big & friendly dogs. Just imagine, even my baby also dare to touch the dog, coz it is really quiet and friendly.
For the restaurant in the hotel, I will say the charge is very affordable. So, you may no need to go out to look for the meals.
Of course, when you are in kalibukbuk, one of your route is to see dolphin. The distance from the hotel to the beach is just 5 minutes walking distance. So, you may book the dolphin trip at the hotel and meet up at 6am (instead of 4am at some other hotel).
Averagely, I will say quite good for the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our place and we are very happy you enjoyed the style and the effort we have put into our place. Hopefully we see you back again.
Tutukaka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We only stayed here for one night but wished we could have spent longer. Lovely relaxed atmosphere here and typically-beautiful Balinese gardens. Good value and a great place to stay the night before a snorkelling or diving trip to Menjangen Island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard H, Manager at Rambutan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay and diving trip as well. Hope to see you back one day.
Tainan, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Back in February I was hit with CHF, congested heart failure. I know so many people who loved Bali, so I knew I wanted to go before my condition worsened. I work in Taiwan, so it's only a 5 hour flight. I had reserved 3 nights at the Rambutan Boutique Hotel. But 2 days ago I suspected that it would be too much for my health, so I contacted the booking agency. They informed me that I'd lose the entire amount, but they suggested contacting Richard directly. I proposed changing the res from 3 nights to 1. He agreed, although he didn't have to, and that's why I'm writing to praise him. When I'm feeling better, I want to go and thank him personally.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
So sorry to hear the reason for cancelling was due to illness. We hope you get better soon and make it to Bali and our place. The one night we did charge you for, you can use as your one night deposit on your next booking, so i suggest you book directly with us next time.
Gawler, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here on 12 July with a group of 10 others. I will only post my views as 1 other has already posted their opinion however there were several others who had stayed here previously and were once again all very happy here. This is about my 4th time staying at Rambutan. The hotel is in a great central location within easy walking distance to the beach, restaurants and shops. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and very green and lush. There are 2 pools, one near the front of the property and the other further back next to the restaurant/bar. There is a library area at the rear of the restaurant that provides a nice, comfortable area to sit and read or relax out of the sun. There is free wifi available in the restaurant/bar area. While I didn't use it this time I have used it on previous visits without a problem. Despite having stayed several times I have never used either pool as I am not a big swimmer however they are both very inviting, clean and always crystal clear, blue water. The staff here are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I made the reservations for all 8 of their deluxe rooms via email 6 + months prior to travel and booking was quick and easy. There were a couple of changes that needed to be made between the time of booking and actually arriving and these were always easy to do and no problem to Richard, the owner. I did not get to catch up with Richard or Tini on this visit as they were away at the time however they have always been very friendly and welcoming to all I bring there each year. Richard actually emailed me after I returned home to see how the stay was and apologise for not being able to catch up. Drinks at the bar are very reasonably priced and actually very competitive with what you will pay on the street in restaurants and bars. Breakfast is served in the restaurant beside the rear pool and there are ample choices to satisfy all. The service by the staff throughout the hotel is fantastic and always friendly and efficient. I have stayed in several different types of rooms here and have always been comfortable. This time I had deluxe room 1 which is on the ground floor, to the left behind reception. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed for the price. There was a queen or double bed, dressing table, bedside tables, tv and bar fridge. The bar fridge is stocked with a good supply of bintang, water and soft drinks at very reasonable prices. I found the bed comfortable and slept well. The stone bathroom is spacious and clean. There was a jug of water and 2 glasses supplied in the bathroom which saved on using bottled water to clean your teeth. There is some small shelving below the sink which gives you space to put a few toiletries during your stay. There are pool towels as well as bath towels supplied and all were in good condition and clean. The room is airconditioned and appears to work very well. There is a clothes horse supplied on the balcony and a small table with a couple of chairs which enables you to relax on the balcony watching the goings on around the hotel grounds. While we were there it was Ramadan so there was the Muslim call to prayer which could be heard (not overly loudly) when outside the room however I did not hear it once inside my room. I did not experience any other noise issues whilst inside my room that disturbed my sleep or time here. This is a great value for money property in a good location. I happily recommend the hotel regularly to friends, family and acquaintances without hesitation. Thank you once again Richard, Tini and the staff at Rambutan for another quick but comfortable and enjoyable stay. See you all again in July 2014.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your lovely write up on our place. Yes Eddie is a great driver with good English and we are very lucky to have him as our main hotel driver. Hope to see you back again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My fiance and I absolutely loved this place. If we ever make it back, we wouldn't even look for another hotel. Staff was amazing, atmosphere was so chill, 2 pools were beautiful and clean, and our room was huge and super clean. Breakfast was great, bar made good drinks, and had plenty of bar and restaurants within 2 blocks. They even had a purified water container in the bathroom for drinking/ brushing your teeth. Could not rate this place high enough. If you need a driver to/ from airport or even around Lovina, ask hotel for Eddie, he rocked. If you wanna go dolphin watching on a boat find Dodie, in last booth inland before the main road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard H, Owner at Rambutan Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
So glad you enjoyed our place. Look forward to welcoming you back as a special return customer.