“lovina beach cottages” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Lovina Beach
sunshine coast australia
“lovina beach cottages”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

overall good stay place is a bit run down but comfortable staff were great

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kahl25

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

2011 July - Double room, one night :
They asked 600K ($66AUD) + 50K overnight WiFi , Balinese girlfriend negotiated 400K, WiFi inc.

Twice we've sought accommodation at twilight, once in Amed and now in Lovina. We got real lucky in Amed but unfortunately we checked into Bali Lovina Cottages before my daughter sent me this website suggesting I read the reviews.

Pls let me describe the place in grunt form:

Helping hand/cook looks and acts like a bemo driver/motor mechanic.

Building's brickwork is tastelessly painted over in shonky renovation effort.

Rooms are old, rundown and grotty.

Little girl waitress, Reni, is sweet and helpful.

Food is like you get at a roadhouse, eg. fish with little flesh, spring rolls covered in mayonnaise, fried chicken soggy in sauce.

Restaurant toilet is grotty and rundown.

My advice is don't stay here unless you really are desperate. But if you end up in Amed, Pazzo is excellent -- new, paid 350K for one night, free WiFi.

Good luck!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Jemandx

Travelers are raving about these Lovina Beach hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

Stay was beautiful, great house and diining room staff, rooms quiet good after a few running repairs were done. On leaving made the mistake of handing over a credit card whivh was swiped several times with the comment ""this machine! I dont think work good"" It worked good alright!!! three times it worked good! Am still trying to recover my funds!! BEWARE.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank happyjax090
Hertfordshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

I booked into Lovina Beach Cottages before reading the reviews which have been a bit mixed. This was my first stay in Bali and my first stay in a 'developing country'.

I enjoyed my stay here - nice room - very relaxing hotel - staffed by lovely people who really did try and make my stay as nice as possible, even to the extent of climbing a coconut tree to get me a coconut to drink. I was definitely looking for a quietish spot with a pool and minimal hassle and I found Lovina Beach Cottages fitted the bill well - I spent several days just hanging about by the pool with books and really felt that I was in paradise, On my last night there the owners took me up to the buddhist temple and I spent an hour meditating there which was one of the best experiences.

My room was kept very clean and was in a beautiful spot - the staff (mostly youngsters) had time to sit down and have a chat about their plans for the future and seemed genuinely pleased to make a connection and share their views of Bali.

The beach hawkers need to be sorted out a bit - most sellers in Bali are happy enough with a no thank you - but the bunch on Lovina beach once they know your name wave and shout at you in a good natured way to get your attention which eventually became annoying,

As a solo just looking for a chilled out location this was great.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Timmy1960
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

My friends and I enjoyed two cottages with beach views and covered porches. The rooms were clean and air-conditioned. Wi-Fi was negotiated to be complimentary, though the service was slow. Laptop computer service was better at the dining room, which was spacious, with no walls on 3 sides, and semi-attached to a bar and the registration desk. Very pleasant.
My electricity did go out late one night, and I was able to have it repaired early the next day. The outdoor fuse box to my cottage had become corroded and useless and had to be replaced.
This is a small, intimate hotel, with a friendly helpful staff that felt more like friends and family than 'servants'.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank phittip
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We're not sure why we stayed here...Perhaps we were tired or took the recommendation from our transport organiser! Either way, as with previous visitors, we think this would have been lovely back in the 80s when it was new. Our introduction was looking at the entrance just off the main road and noting that the original reception area was no longer in use. The young woman who greeted us was very sweet, but asked for payment in advance. That should have been our first clue. Upon entering the room we saw a grotty, old and very tired paint job, the bathroom probably hadn't been really scrubbed for years and when we asked for ice for drinks the woman who brought it wanted to charge 5000 Rps for the service! The second day, we had a break in the weather (rain for days) and thought we'd sit 'round the pool. Unfortunately, the previously clearish water was murky and cloudy and we were told the filter was not working, therefore, the next hour and a half, staff continued to act like they were pumping out water with a petrol-operated generator, filling hose with tap water in order to get suction started...all this while smoking numerous cigarettes (we saw many staff members smoking while on the job, whether cleaning rooms, gardening or sweeping around the pool). The breakfast and taxes were included in the room (for which we were charged 350,000 Rps) and the location was good for other places. We made the best of the situation and enjoyed sleeping cheap, eating all of our other meals and having drinks in other places. We understand that there is a new owner but they will have a long way to go to come close to expected standards of accommodation for travellers nowadays. They did have WiFi but were charging 50 000 Rpr per day. We used the free wifi at one of many places up the road. One of our favourite restaurants was the Thai Jasmine Kitchen - excellent service, food, atmosphere, toilets (always a pleasure in Asia) and the best coffee we've had in Bali! Lovina itself seemed like it was permanently trapped in a bit of a timewarp...which was at times good and sometimes difficult to digest. (the same music from back in the 80sm prices still very inexpensive but most of the shops have closed down or have shop-soiled and faded clothes still hanging up for sale.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HB001
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

When we arrived at the cottages we were greeted by friendly staff, they were the best thing this hotel had to offer. We got given welcome drinks which were just watered down orange juice and we saw a rat running around reception. Then we were shown our room, it smelt like cigarettes and mildew and was dark and dingy, so we asked for a new one. This next one was better but the shower floor was disgusting, the shower itself was just a trickle of water (not enough to wash yourself in), the light switch for the room was outside and the pillows gave you a headache. After having a terrible nights sleep due to the noisy nightclub from down the road, being greeted to the breakfast just made my grumpiness worse. I had the fresh fruit (3 pieces of watermelon and pineapple) and toast which was served cold. My Dad ordered coffee that tasted like hot cardboard but did not use the milk which was covered in ants. This hotel would have been great in its hey-day, all the owners need to do is put in a little effort and clean up and this place would have been okay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family