We stayed for 4 nights in December and it was a great end to our holiday. It was so relaxing lounging on the day bed enjoying the view from our balcony that we didn't feel like doing much else.
The staff were so warm and friendly. It felt like a big family that we were welcomed into with open arms. I much prefer these smaller boutique style of hotels as they are so much more intimate than the large resorts.
Its a really nice location on the jungle hillside looking down to Lovina and it gets the sea breeze which keeps it much cooler than down on the flat. A free shuttle is provided to go wherever you want. You just tell them when you want to go and they drive you down and pick you up. We ventured down to Lovina a few times but to be honest there wasn't a whole lot to see and the beach isn't enticing at all. Its flat water and dirty looking. I guess Im used to our fabulous clean beaches here in Sydney and so Bali's beaches don't even compare.
We were there during the quiet times and the town itself was dead. The bars, shops and restaurants were all empty. Im not sure how they survive, hopefully they make enough when its busy to get them through. I didn't feel like doing any shopping at all.
We ate breakfast everyday in the hotel restaurant. Its an open Bali style building with a view across the rice paddys to the ocean below which was very nice.
The breakfast was ok and fresh however I felt it could easily be improved upon. I understand that asians/indonesians don't eat what we eat and so they aren't that great at preparing it however the owners here are German and so I think they would have a good idea about western style breakfast. One thing which was lacking was cereal. There was none available. I don't think it would be very difficult to provide a few cereals to choose from including some muesli. Also there was nothing really available for vegetarians as replacement for meat in any of the meals. Taking out the meat does not equal vegetarian. How about some fried tomatoes, mushrooms or baked beans for breakfast?
Also we didn't like the bread that came with the breakfast. Not only was it not very nice but it was under toasted and cold. Maybe its difficult to get nice bread in Bali as it was the same everywhere. Its this slightly sweet, pappy, cake texture stuff - awful.
You get two choices for dinner and again there is no vegetarian however the meals are very fresh and tasty and the service is excellent.
Lunch seemed to be inconsistent. One day I ordered the chicken sandwich and it was really nice and the chips were hot and crispy but the next day it wasn't as good and the chips were soggy and luke warm.
Overall the food was above average.
The pool is very nice and you can easily get to enjoy it alone at some point during the day. We stayed in the double house which was very nice although if I went again I would prefer the upper house or the jungle house which has its own pool.
Didn't use the spa as it didn't have the combination of treatments that I wanted so instead I visited a local one called Agung's and had a 2.5 hour treatment encompassing, massage, scrub and facial for much cheaper.
I would love to return to Puri Mangga one day as it was so relaxing however after having seen Lovina Im not sure if I have any desire to return again at this stage as theres nothing much there. Might check out Candidasa and Ahmed next time.
We felt sad to leave and all the staff came out to wave us goodbye. I felt like hugging them goodbye as though they were my family. I waved out the window of our vehicle as we drove away and shouted "Sampai jumpa lagi" (see you again)
I will forever have fond memories of Puri Mangga and the Balinese people in general.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience your dream vacation apart from the mass tourism in the north of Bali, the Island of Gods.Puri Mangga, a fine and cozy boutique residence, hidden on the hillside 3 kms south of Lovina and surrounded by ricefields and palm trees, is dedicated to offer you some of the finest things of Life: Luxury,Beautiness,Relaxation and great Food.Enjoy a special atmosphere and your soul will be captured for a long time.Experience our Restaurant with one of the best Food in Lovina with an Indonesian/Italian Fusion Kitchen. Our 3 chefs live and work for tasteful cooking and you will enjoy the freshness of our mostly organic food with every sense.The Spa of Puri Mangga offers a big variety of massage and body treatments. After a relaxing massage merge into the flowerbath with an exotic drink and enjoy the fragrances of the flowers and the phantastic view to Lovina Bay and the Chinese Sea.All the products we use in the Spa are natural and organic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Puri Mangga Sea View Resort And Spa
- Puri Mangga Sea View Hotel Lovina Beach
- Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa Lovina Beach, Bali