“Wonderful wedding venue!!”
Review of Brasteds

Brasteds
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasteds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Attended a wedding here at the weekend and have to say how impressed I was. Firstly the location is impressive and the grounds are gorgeous. The staff were all lovely, friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The food was sublime and wonderfully presented and the pizzas and cones of fries that were served at the evening event was a great idea! Some of my family actually stayed overnight and the rooms were sumptuous and extremely comfortable. I would urge anyone visiting this area to give Brasteds a try you will not be disappointed!.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Firstly I would like to say I disagree with many off the comments made in the review below, I have dined many of times at Brasteds and every time i have eaten there I haven't been let down. Firstly I was greeted with smiles from all the staff-which happens every time and felt welcomed as I entered, my coat was taken from me and offered champagne as I was dining for a relatives birthday at this occasion. Secondly I did change my food order as I didn't like certain ingredients that were on my dishes I'd chosen and that was no problem for the chefs and I was offered alternatives instead. I chose the beef dish and the beef was cooked to perfection - rare, just how I like it.

Yes the wine list as described pieces of paper stapled together was like this, but what other restaurant updates their wine list and brings new wines in for their diners to try? Personally I like to be able to have a new selection every once and a while to try. The same with their menu, change is good, you get bored going to a restaurant and it's all the same meals.

I would recommend this restaurant as one of Norfolk's very fine dining restaurant to anyone, any dietary requirements is no problem for them.

I would also like to add that having any disability or needs of any level has never been a problem, even when not informed and we have turned up and changes to my table have been swiftly and professionally made.

It is also nice to see that the directors of the business don't just stay behind the doors, they get involved and work along side all their staff, support them and nothing is a challenge for them no matter how busy the restaurant or event maybe.

I have already made my next reservation for June and very much looking forward to my meal and being treated like royalty as soon as I walk through the door.

1  Thank LaylaSeline
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The four of us dined at Brasteds one Saturday evening, to celebrate my Father's birthday - and had selected it from Tripadvisor list of restaurants in Norfolk, as it had one of the highest ratings. Wanting to celebrate a birthday, we had picked somewhere apparently with some style and quality.

Unfortunately it would seem that the other reviewers had different experiences or expectations.

We were seated at a round table at the end of Brasteds' long hall-like extension building in the grounds. The larger tables on closer inspection, were in fact folding tables with extra long table clothes (akin to swags for curtains) - the challenge on this meant that if you were unlucky enough to have a chair abutting the leg and associated swing arm, there is no where for your legs to go. Added to this was that the table cloth was wedged under the table leg, which left your legs and feet nowhere to go, making it feel as though one was sitting next to a wall - not really a good start.

The menu was a large printed sheet of paper - probably to allow for regular changes, with a relatively small (nothing wrong with that) selection of starters, mains and desserts. However the wine list, was instead a sheaf of papers merely stapled together - this did not seem becoming with establishment, apparently trying to be "high end". The menu was obviously written by someone who wanted to enthuse over the food - the menu was so descriptive, each line item bordered upon a recipe (more suited to food journalism than a menu).

The initial proffered hors d'oeuvres were a combination of grilled goats cheese with salsa and battered prawns. The prawns unfortunately were soggy.

After the hors d'oeuvres was an amuse bouche (though not described as such by the waiting staff) - a chicken supreme ball. This was tasty and succeeded well as an amuse bouche.

Alongside the ordered starters was the bread basket - apparently homemade, but with weird and wacky flavours of Marmite and Cheese, Red Onion, Chilli or Peanut Butter. It is true the bread balls tasted of the flavours - they were far from the most appealing of breads, super dense and bordering upon being stale and certainly not enjoyable.

We had as starters: a fish hotch potch - described by the diner as tasty but nothing special; and a crispy cheese ravioli with tomato salsa, unfortunately the salsa was overloaded with chilli which swamped all of the other flavours.

The mains selected were a medley of venison (fillet, faggot, suet crust pie) which the diners described as very nice. However those who ordered the venison became jealous of those who had ordered the fillet steak with ox cheeks - truly the highlight of the meal, with rich flavours and good presentation (it is worth noting that Brasteds does favour properly hot plates)

For the desserts, we selected Affogato and a deconstructed Snickers bar (described in copious detail as a Marathon pudding). Unfortunately the Affogato was nothing special, with the ice-cream being unremarkable and variable (one scoop in a glass of two scoops being heatshocked), the accompanying (highlighted in the menu) biscotti was dull and not well baked - overall unremarkable and disappointing. The Marathon pudding suffered of having too many parts and could have been simplified to its benefit - which is a shame as the chocolate mousse, peanut brittle and salted caramel ice-cream were all nice.

On reflection of the food, one of our party remarked afterwards - that they wondered if in fact the head chef was actually in attendance, as the food lacked emotion or care (had dishes actually been checked before being served) and appeared to have been cooked solely by numbers.

The service started as relaxed, informal but friendly. However then went downhill as the evening proceeded - it was noted several times that the staff were congregated around the bar as opposed to looking after tables. Our bottle of wine was put to the side but we were left our own devices to refill our glasses, the staff only offering to top up our glasses when the bottle was actually empty. The bill presented at the end, was left sitting with a card on the table, so out of exasperation we had to take it to the bar to be paid (had the staff given up by this point?)

In conclusion whilst the setting and ambience were great. Indeed the main courses were very good - unfortunately the rest of the food and service left much to be desired. The combination of Brasted's reputation of great food, its evidently very pleasant ambiance and over-egged menu, really left most of the food with no opportunity to succeed. Unfortunately once this approach is combined with prices more suited for dining in metropolitan areas (e.g. London) - Brasteds really fails to deliver but its successes (the quality of ambience and excellent main courses) condemns Brasteds even further, as it fails to live up to it has shown it could achieve.

In summary

We are glad that we have tried Brasteds however could not recommend it to others based upon its real potential to improve but fear that this opportunity may be missed.

4  Thank SimonBP
Brasteds N, Owner at Brasteds, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Trip adviser is obviously subjective & we are mortified that your experience with us fell short of your expectations.

There are certain traditional peculiarities which I encourage, such as the descriptive menu writing, these honour the Bon Viveur, our namesake & the 30 years of Brasted's history. Independent restaurants with personality will never be alike & in my opinion, nor should they be.

We have a very passionate team of dedicated people that strive so very hard to delight their customers. Therefore I thank you for your feedback; you raised some valid points, which I assure you, we will endeavour to implement.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

A have eaten here on several occasions and every time is as good if not better than the last. Excellent menu & service second to none in Norfolk. Here's to the next visit.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Came to Brasteds for a dinner dance recently and was blown away by the food and quality of the staff. The place lends itself more to events (which we attended) in my opinion The restaurant opens Thursday to Saturday (but it would be worth it). the food was fantastic and the service high quality for the event we went to. Looking forward to coming back. Parking was a bit tight on the night so best to get there early.

Brasteds N, Owner at Brasteds, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

John, thank you for the review. I am pleased to read that the event was successful and the food was up to scratch. Perhaps we can entice you to return to the restaurant for more Brasted's magic! Nick